Great character actors.

BostonTim

IIWII
Reaction score
The term character actors is self explanatory. The screenplay calls for a an honest, forgiving, warm and motherly older woman who is always there with sound and simple practical advice when needed. Dial up Beulah Bondi.

Need a soft, warm, fuzzy, kind gentleman with a great foreign accent? Then SZ "Cuddles" Sakall is your man.

Two of my favorites.

It seems to me that they don't make character actors like they used to, but I wouldn't really know because I spend all my movie time watching TCM and other vintage film venues. Who are the character actors of today and who are the old-timers that you are always happy to see?

Cheers, BostonTim

Always liked JT Walsh. He was in Outbreak and an old Kurt Russell movie called Breakdown.

Paul Giamattei has gotten more lead roles lately but I think of him as a character actor.

Having a hard time coming up with a female. (Insert joke here.)

M-O-O-N spells Sam Rockwell, a few wonderful leads, but ever so often fills a tremendous character role

Tom Hanks he's come a long way since the Bosom Buddies TV show

I don't think I can see either Lewis or Hanks as character actors. Lewis is one of the Finest actors of the day and Hanks is a ginormous leading actor who's been called the Cary Grant of today. Both great actors though.

J.K. Simmons.

Until he won an Oscar for Whiplash (tremendous movie), he was one of those actors who you see and wonder what else he's been in because he looks so familiar.

Michael Shannon

Gary Cole

William Fichtner

Bryan Cranston (lead now)

Ron Perlman

David Morse

J.K. Simmons

Giamatti

Sam Elliott

John Malkovich

James Cromwell

Joe Pantoliano

Stanley Tucci

Dennis Farina

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Brian Cox

Christopher Walken

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

J.K. Simmons.

Until he won an Oscar for Whiplash (tremendous movie), he was one of those actors who you see and wonder what else he's been in because he looks so familiar.

And some insurance commercials...

He went to school in Missoula (his dad was a professor there).

Michael Shannon

Gary Cole

William Fichtner

Bryan Cranston (lead now)

Ron Perlman

David Morse

J.K. Simmons

Giamatti

Sam Elliott

John Malkovich

James Cromwell

Joe Pantoliano

Stanley Tucci

Dennis Farina

Phillip Seymour Hoffman

Brian Cox

Christopher Walken

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

And some insurance commercials...

He went to school in Missoula.

You must be burning up IMDB. :coffee:

Strother Martin was one of the best. "We're losing!" still cracks me up every time.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/452XjnaHr1A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mVUrWv4CPSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back