Gronk Retires

Link?

I really wish we had the knowledge last week.

An incredible career. Wish him nothing but the best. But I think a couple years from now he’ll be wishing he wasn’t still in his 20s when he hung em up.

Or maybe he returns as a Schrute Christmas present, ready for a playoff run.

Was reading Twitter and they're saying the agent has been dealing with the Saints but nothing has been signed yet.

sucks to lose him but I think this was the right call on his part. he has endured a lot of injuries. Go out on top!
(can't wait to see how he acts at the ring party :) )

Happy for the big lug, wish him well.

The whole nation knew how good a player he was.

Did anybody else go to the Buffalo game (2nd-to-last reg. season game)? Gronk looked awful in the passing game. And Brady looked God-awful too. They won 24-12 I believe, but i was disheartened by the play of those two players. Now, they ran for what, 278 yds? Which was cool. But I got teary-eyed after the game, and said to my wife:" I saw the beginning of Brady and Gronk, and now I've seen the end of Brady and Gronk".

It was Not the end of Brady, and Gronk sucked up all the best play he could squeeze out of himself for those last few games of his career. I didn't notice whatever run-blocking he did in that Buffalo game. He probably excelled there. If I could have written and hoped that Gronk would make those great and clutch catches against KC and the Rams, as a fitting ending to his career, well, really, it's too hollywood. But he did it. He left it all on the field-wow.

I loved that 'wheel-route' catch he made, early in that lone touchdown drive in the superbowl. I don't think it was easy for him. But he willed it. He willed the whole season.

I really liked this player, but do you guys remember during Ben Coates' last Patriots season, 1999, he reportedly bitched and moaned that he wasn't getting the ball enough? They were 6-2 at the bye, but I know he ended up with 32 catches, and probably had 16 catches through 8 games, this after having seasons of 93, 80 something, and 64 catches. But now he was committing offensive holding penalties, and generally was nearing the end (he did play on the champion Ravens, with something like 8 catches the next season). It was a bad Patriots ending for him.

Goodbye Pete Carroll, goodbye Drew Bledsoe, Hello Bill Belichick, Hello Tom Brady, and now Hello and Goodby to our Gronk. I heard no reports of bitching and moaning, but my perception is only "what do you want me to do, coach", and "how can I best help the team- I still have something to give, coach". Gronk was not just a monster of a player, but a great Team player. Thank you, Gronk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7MXUPM9htH4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Put up by NFL 2 hours ago. ****ton of memories in this 10 minutes.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

Now we've really seen the End of Gronk (in a Pat's uniform!).

The perfect spot for any Raven to get his beak stuck. ROFL

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7MXUPM9htH4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Put up by NFL 2 hours ago. ****ton of memories in this 10 minutes.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

The perfect spot for any Raven to get his beak stuck. ROFL
Ha!
(ps, can't open your link above-when I click on it, it says you can't because it belongs to the NFL! Dinks! No, Gronk highlights belong to the universe)!

Sad to see Gronk hang em up but happy for him nonetheless. I can't believe his NFL career is already over with ... time sure flies.

I'm genuinely bummed out but at the same time extremely thankful to have been alive to watch him tear it up. He can make a case for the best TE to ever suit up. I don't think there had been anyone as dominant as him. Thank you for everything, Gronk!

Here are some per 16 games played in the regular season and playoffs:

Gronk

• 73.2 catches 1092 yards 11 TDs at 15.1 per catch
  • 81 catches 1163 yards 12 TDs 14.4 per catch

Gates
  • 65 catches 803 yards 7.9 TDs 12.4 per catch
  • 68 catches 720 yards 2.7 TDs 10.6 per catch

Sharpe
  • 64 catches 789 yards 4.9 TDs at 12.3 per catch
  • 55 catches 724 yards 3.6 TDs at 13.1 per catch

Gonzalez
  • 78.5 catches 896 yards 6.6 TDs at 11.4 per catch
  • 68.6 catches 654 yards 9.1 TDs at 9.5 per catch

Witten
  • 77.1 catches 833 yards 4.6 TDs at 10.8 per catch
  • 90 catches 972 yards 2 TDs 10.8 per catch

Randy Moss averaged 15.6 yards per catch, 1122 yards and 11.5 TDs per 16 games
Gronk was 92% Moss and 92% Orlando Pace.

Thank you Gronk for being so amazingly fun to watch on the field, and for the pure joy you brought to this team both on and off the field. You had fun, played hard and were genuine in your joy for life. Hope you continue to find great joy in your life. Thank you!

Thank you Gronk for being so amazingly fun to watch on the field, and for the pure joy you brought to this team both on and off the field. You had fun, played hard and were genuine in your joy for life. Hope you continue to find great joy in your life. Thank you!

wuv

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

Here are some per 16 games played in the regular season and playoffs:

Gronk

• 73.2 catches 1092 yards 11 TDs at 15.1 per catch
  • 81 catches 1163 yards 12 TDs 14.4 per catch

Gates
  • 65 catches 803 yards 7.9 TDs 12.4 per catch
  • 68 catches 720 yards 2.7 TDs 10.6 per catch

Sharpe
  • 64 catches 789 yards 4.9 TDs at 12.3 per catch
  • 55 catches 724 yards 3.6 TDs at 13.1 per catch

Gonzalez
  • 78.5 catches 896 yards 6.6 TDs at 11.4 per catch
  • 68.6 catches 654 yards 9.1 TDs at 9.5 per catch

Witten
  • 77.1 catches 833 yards 4.6 TDs at 10.8 per catch
  • 90 catches 972 yards 2 TDs 10.8 per catch

Randy Moss averaged 15.6 yards per catch, 1122 yards and 11.5 TDs per 16 games
Gronk was 92% Moss and 92% Orlando Pace.

Outstanding.

Did anybody else go to the Buffalo game (2nd-to-last reg. season game)? Gronk looked awful in the passing game. And Brady looked God-awful too. They won 24-12 I believe, but i was disheartened by the play of those two players. Now, they ran for what, 278 yds? Which was cool. But I got teary-eyed after the game, and said to my wife:" I saw the beginning of Brady and Gronk, and now I've seen the end of Brady and Gronk".

It was Not the end of Brady, and Gronk sucked up all the best play he could squeeze out of himself for those last few games of his career. I didn't notice whatever run-blocking he did in that Buffalo game. He probably excelled there. If I could have written and hoped that Gronk would make those great and clutch catches against KC and the Rams, as a fitting ending to his career, well, really, it's too hollywood. But he did it. He left it all on the field-wow.

I loved that 'wheel-route' catch he made, early in that lone touchdown drive in the superbowl. I don't think it was easy for him. But he willed it. He willed the whole season.

I really liked this player, but do you guys remember during Ben Coates' last Patriots season, 1999, he reportedly bitched and moaned that he wasn't getting the ball enough? They were 6-2 at the bye, but I know he ended up with 32 catches, and probably had 16 catches through 8 games, this after having seasons of 93, 80 something, and 64 catches. But now he was committing offensive holding penalties, and generally was nearing the end (he did play on the champion Ravens, with something like 8 catches the next season). It was a bad Patriots ending for him.

Goodbye Pete Carroll, goodbye Drew Bledsoe, Hello Bill Belichick, Hello Tom Brady, and now Hello and Goodby to our Gronk. I heard no reports of bitching and moaning, but my perception is only "what do you want me to do, coach", and "how can I best help the team- I still have something to give, coach". Gronk was not just a monster of a player, but a great Team player. Thank you, Gronk

Not sure that was the best game to use against Gronk. Bills had the number 1 pass defense in the NFL, nobody did well against them.

Not sure that was the best game to use against Gronk. Bills had the number 1 pass defense in the NFL, nobody did well against them.

Oh, I guess it was a decent game plan by the Pats, then. And the Pats weren't up to passing against them. They had trouble against the Steelers, also, with just those 10 points. The passing game fairly exploded against the Chargers and Chiefs, thankfully (and actually against the Jets, also). And was adequate in the SB. The Bills have something to hang their hat on (pass defense). That Buffalo game might be interesting to re-watch. (snoozer though it may have been!). Anyway, Gronk came through in the end. Big Time. He was a special player.

“It was a pleasure and a privilege to coach Rob Gronkowski the past nine years. From his rookie year until his final season and through countless times in between, Rob was a major reason why we won games and championships. His elite combination of size, skill, intelligence, toughness and ability to perform in pressure situations set him apart.”

“Rob’s impact on our team and organization was felt in many ways. In the ultimate team sport, Rob was a great, great teammate. His production spoke for itself, but his daily attitude, unmistakably positive energy wherever he went and toward whoever he touched will never be forgotten.”

“Rob will leave an indelible mark on the Patriots organization and the game as among the best, most complete players at his position to ever play."

- Bill Belichick

Patriots Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft has issued the following statement on the retirement of Rob Gronkowski.

“In the nine years that I have known Rob Gronkowski, I have never known him to have a bad day. He always has a youthful exuberance about him and is a joy to be around. As a player, he earned the respect of his coaches and teammates for his hard work, preparation, selfless attitude and the sheer dominance of his game. ‘Gronk’ quickly became a fan favorite and the most dominant player at his position for nearly a decade. I look forward to honoring him in the near future as both a Patriots and Pro Football Hall of Famer."

“As great of a player as he was, he is an even better person and ambassador of the game. Throughout his career, he made countless appearances in the community and there was no better remedy for hospital patients than a visit from Gronk.

“While Patriots fans are certainly going to miss seeing him play, he will be a Patriot for life and celebrated as a three-time Super Bowl Champion.”

- Robert Kraft

https://www.gq.com/story/rob-gronkowski-gq-cover-story

At this very moment, 27-year-old Rob Gronkowski is probably the most beloved player in the National Football League. People who would argue with this statement are, statistically speaking, mostly just sanctimonious Aaron Rodgers fans. Sure, you can tell me that more people bought Tom Brady gear in the past year than that of any other player; but I'm not talking about what's a cool jersey, I'm talking about lovableness. Still, you might be wondering why he's so beloved. It's true that he is very good at football. He is a giant who is absurdly coordinated and superhumanly strong, can block linebackers out of their cleats, and also possesses the softest of fingertips on which to catch passes. Not only is he probably the best tight end in football; he's more valuable to the team than being good at his position. Just watch the final minutes of last season's AFC Championship game, especially the Patriots' final touchdown play, when he stands in the midst of a double team and seems to Matrix a chute of stillness into which Tom Brady can easily deliver a pass, thus giving the Patriots a chance to go to the Super Bowl (which they flubbed). Rob Gronkowski the football player is like a giant concrete pier (for footballs) in the midst of a storm (of people trying to tackle him), if the giant concrete pier could run a four-seven 40-yard dash. He can will winning conditions in almost any game situation.

But just being good at football isn't why he's so beloved. Because Cam Newton is probably better, if we're being honest. It's something in his baby-like human essence. It's his infectious, irrepressible nature. It's his meathead exuberance. It's that he brought his own party bus to one of the Patriots' Super Bowl parades. It's that he says he loves getting hit, and he's convincing about it. It's that he loves practice. And if you made him swim across a frozen lake before practice, he'd be like, Fuck yeah, let's go HAM on that hypothermia, bro! (Here's what Gronk said to me about lifting weights: “The importance of lifting weights is it kind of makes me who I am.”) It's that he uses the term “Party Rock”—which comes from an LMFAO song—to delineate between people who just like to go to clubs and people who really know how to bring it. It's that you can't look at the guy without thinking you should be yelling “Wooooooo!” at each other before you do a shot/get a lap dance/jump out of an airplane. It's that he seems to exist in a permanent shower of champagne spray and nightclub-foam-party foam, all without ever seeming like a creepy douchebag (that weird time he lap-danced a female Fox correspondent notwithstanding—but that moment seemed so scripted that I have to blame Fox).

Party On, Gronk. Thanks for sharing your joy and your talent with us all.

That's some tribute from BB.

They always said that, look beyond the good humour and the party boy attitude and you had a player who was typically first in the building and last to leave and just loved to train and practice. I can imagine his good and positive attitude infected that lockerroom and he will be sorely missed there.

I'll always remember him for his emotional comments after the Bengals game that followed THAT Kansas City beatdown. He said it was all for Tom and had promised his family he was going to make 12 look like 12 again.

What a great Patriots Player. I suspect he will go down as one of the top three fan favourites of all time.

Everyone will be comparing Gronk to other TEs but his greatness far exceeded the TE position. Let's instead compare him to the best WR over the same years, all the while remembering that he was also one of the best blockers the league has known. There are no words to adequately describe his greatness.

Gronk: 521-794 for 65.6%, 7855 yards, 79 TD, 14 INT, 9.9 YPA, 123.8 target rating

ABrown: 831-1267 for 65.6%, 11026 yards, 73 TD, 38 INT, 8.7 YPA, 99.7 target rating

Back