Gronk Retires

If Josh Gordon can come back, stay clean and give us 80% of Gronk's productivity, I would sign up for that.

It occurred to me that Rob might be following the blueprint of pro wrestling as concerns a potential retirement.

I found an article on The Ringer titled "The Eight Kinds of Pro Wrestling Retirement" and the bit that seemed closest to what (assuming) he could have in mind:

Saving-It-for-a-Special-Occasion Retirement

What’s That? A close cousin of the story-line retirement, this is a fairly cynical conceit that hinges on orchestrating a popular performer’s last hurrah as a preamble to his or her eventual, ballyhooed comeback when timing and demand dictate.

Symptoms Include: A highly bankable superstar saying c’est la vie when there’s still money on the table and no indication that he or she’s an entirely enfeebled or scandalized figure (here, Undertaker rises again); stepping back into a less physical on-screen contribution such as Raw or SmackDown general manager or WWF/WWE commissioner, without betraying obvious signs of unrecoverable decrepitude (remember late-’90s WWF commissioner Shawn Michaels?); or departing to focus on myriad endeavors with obvious goodwill among fans and employers intact (see ya at Evolution, Trish Stratus).

Odds of Ultimately Unretiring: 70 percent.

Timeline for Return: Six months to 15 years.

So, my fantasy scenario here is:

Rob feels like he needs to let his body heal extensively and would pursue some serious private Guerrero-style treatment because he has an innate distaste for constant questions about his physical well-being (ankle injury and arm stuff drove him nuts) and this is what he knows he'd get if he sticks it out for the whole year.

So, he goes on a vision quest and continues to visit sick kids, do entertainment industry gigs etc. and keeps coy in public statements. He's good at it, because the Gronk smash persona is the total construct of a keen secret intellect. If the Pats are in position for a stretch drive and his competitive juices are flowing like a raging river then he returns, born again, like Captain America or The Undertaker to save the day for the fans, his teammates and Planet Earth.

Nobody minds that he retired, such a move would likely be celebrated by the entire Footballverse and, if it were to work out between the white lines, would elevate him to a whole 'nother level--- 'rasslin-style.

James Brown did this shit multiple times at the end of every concert he perfomed whereupon he would "die", be carried off stage and then return from the dead. You want to tell me that Rob wouldn't do it once?
:thumb:
What does Jerry think?

I haven't read all the comments yet, but the worst part of this retirement for me is the expected flood of 'DOES THIS SIGNIFY THE END OF THE DYNASTY" pieces from the sportswriters. Gronk will sure be a giant hole to fill, but as to bringing the whole house down, I don't think that's likely.

:patriotlogo:

When you call it a day, you will want to have the genuine comments made about you in the manner that is being said about Grink from his peers. What a fantastic tribute to a special player. Whether it's teammates, coaches, other team's players, there's a universal appreciation from everyone for what was a very unique, incredible player who was a genuine, no hidden agenda person off the field.

Lovely sentiments from so many players. A great tribute from Patrick Chung below:

Safety Patrick Chung: “Where do I start @gronk….First thing congrats man, you deserve this. All the work and sacrifice I’ve seen you go through for 9 years. And doing it with a smile on your face! Thank you for making football fun for 9 years, with your good but bad dance moves! Thank you for making me the player I am. I’m not doing any of this shit without your help and work ethic. From rookie years to 9-10 years later. Betting $100 a day for winner that day in practice. Dreading practice but we keep pushing and worked through it Haha.
“I owe most my career to you and things I’m able to do on the field man. I’ve said it before, and it won’t change. Thank you. Enjoy retirement! Dance your ass off, keep smiling, being a clown, love life. I’ll join ya soon! Love you man! The greatest to ever do it! #bigchung from #littlegronk.”

I haven't read all the comments yet, but the worst part of this retirement for me is the expected flood of 'DOES THIS SIGNIFY THE END OF THE DYNASTY" pieces from the sportswriters. Gronk will sure be a giant hole to fill, but as to bringing the whole house down, I don't think that's likely.

:patriotlogo:

Considering we won 4 superbowls without gronk, I would think that would not be the narrative.

The way I heard it this morning, the Pats will put him on the "Reserved:Retired" list and get the cap space immediately. Gronk then has until Week 10 to decide if he wants to comeback, and if he does, they negotiate a new contract based on the available cap space they have at that time.
that is win/win - Pats get cap relief and Gronk gets the 6 million bill carries for emergencies to play 4 games (preseason style) and a playoff run.

It occurred to me that Rob might be following the blueprint of pro wrestling as concerns a potential retirement.

I found an article on The Ringer titled "The Eight Kinds of Pro Wrestling Retirement" and the bit that seemed closest to what (assuming) he could have in mind:

Saving-It-for-a-Special-Occasion Retirement

What’s That? A close cousin of the story-line retirement, this is a fairly cynical conceit that hinges on orchestrating a popular performer’s last hurrah as a preamble to his or her eventual, ballyhooed comeback when timing and demand dictate.

Symptoms Include: A highly bankable superstar saying c’est la vie when there’s still money on the table and no indication that he or she’s an entirely enfeebled or scandalized figure (here, Undertaker rises again); stepping back into a less physical on-screen contribution such as Raw or SmackDown general manager or WWF/WWE commissioner, without betraying obvious signs of unrecoverable decrepitude (remember late-’90s WWF commissioner Shawn Michaels?); or departing to focus on myriad endeavors with obvious goodwill among fans and employers intact (see ya at Evolution, Trish Stratus).

Odds of Ultimately Unretiring: 70 percent.

Timeline for Return: Six months to 15 years.

So, my fantasy scenario here is:

Rob feels like he needs to let his body heal extensively and would pursue some serious private Guerrero-style treatment because he has an innate distaste for constant questions about his physical well-being (ankle injury and arm stuff drove him nuts) and this is what he knows he'd get if he sticks it out for the whole year.

So, he goes on a vision quest and continues to visit sick kids, do entertainment industry gigs etc. and keeps coy in public statements. He's good at it, because the Gronk smash persona is the total construct of a keen secret intellect. If the Pats are in position for a stretch drive and his competitive juices are flowing like a raging river then he returns, born again, like Captain America or The Undertaker to save the day for the fans, his teammates and Planet Earth.

Nobody minds that he retired, such a move would likely be celebrated by the entire Footballverse and, if it were to work out between the white lines, would elevate him to a whole 'nother level--- 'rasslin-style.

James Brown did this shit multiple times at the end of every concert he perfomed whereupon he would "die", be carried off stage and then return from the dead. You want to tell me that Rob wouldn't do it once?
It makes sense to do once in the NFL, he couldn't be a two time week 10 return, could he?

:thumb:
What does Jerry think?
Jerry asked for a hug on MyFox last night.

that is win/win - Pats get cap relief and Gronk gets the 6 million bill carries for emergencies to play 4 games (preseason style) and a playoff run.

It makes sense to do once in the NFL, he couldn't be a two time week 10 return, could he?

Jerry asked for a hug on MyFox last night.

Why not?

I'd totally down for a return down the stretch with a healed body/mind and hunger to give it one last run.

Also, the haters would be so pissed to see him back in Pats uni renunited with TFB and co. I'd love it if that were the case!

I'd totally down for a return down the stretch with a healed body/mind and hunger to give it one last run.

Also, the haters would be so pissed to see him back in Pats uni renunited with TFB and co. I'd love it if that were the case!

And if the run were successful, we can be guaranteed that the league would immediately change the retirement rules.

My biggest concern with Gronk retireing is what will happen to the ground game. He was a criucial part of that in 2018. Awesome player in all aspects of the game. He probably should have gone just 99% on a few occations to prevent injuries, but as he said himself, he only got one speed.

My biggest concern with Gronk retireing is what will happen to the ground game. He was a criucial part of that in 2018. Awesome player in all aspects of the game. He probably should have gone just 99% on a few occations to prevent injuries, but as he said himself, he only got one speed.

Not just Gronk. Allen was a big part of the run game too.

I really hope that he's just done. I don't want to see him coming back not even close to being in game shape and embarrass himself. It was almost painful watching him run down the field the last couple seasons.

I really hope that he's just done. I don't want to see him coming back not even close to being in game shape and embarrass himself. It was almost painful watching him run down the field the last couple seasons.

Yeah.

That’s the first thing that came to my mind in the SB watching him run down the seam and haul in a fantastic catch, setting up the games only TD.

Man, this is painful.

He was pretty stiff, but that shouldn’t keep him from going up and grabbing a few in the red zone. Here’s to hoping he’s getting right for a playoff run. I never understood why he was playing in September and October anyway.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7MXUPM9htH4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Put up by NFL 2 hours ago. ****ton of memories in this 10 minutes.

Cheers

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

The perfect spot for any Raven to get his beak stuck. ROFL

The NFL 10 minute vid took 20 minutes cause I watched every highlight about 4 times!

The highlights of his career are just insane. In his prime, he was unstoppable really.

That TD against the Colts when he just scatters defenders and goes airborne into the EZ was sublime. But there's almost too many highlights.

Back