Hazing: Another Harrowing Story

Why kids participate in this shit (including those being hazed) is beyond me.

It's not complicated.

Most young men that age are naive and insecure. They are at the age where they are at their most rebellious and are in the process of finding out where their limits are. They generally lack the confidence to tell a group of older peers in a position of authority to jump in a lake.

Do not confuse the bravado exhibited by young men as confidence. It is generally the opposite. Overcompensation for insecurities.

Honestly, it's surprising these things don't happen more often.

I suppose this is the time I point out none of this would happen if these young men were smoking pot instead of binge drinking.

But that's none of my business...

Edit: Oh, and if you're still confused why young men do this kind of thing please read this link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

I didn't mean I didn't understand the explanations. I just meant that I couldn't identify with that. At all. I'd have told them to **** off or just walked away instantly even at that age. And that's not hindsight talking. I basically did that.

I didn't mean I didn't understand the explanations. I just meant that I couldn't identify with that. At all. I'd have told them to **** off or just walked away instantly even at that age. And that's not hindsight talking. I basically did that.

I don't get it either. I can't understand why anyone would want to join a frat. I would never be friends with people that can treat other people like that.

There's no good reason for frats to continue to exist.

I don't get it either. I can't understand why anyone would want to join a frat. I would never be friends with people that can treat other people like that.

It's like anything in life, it depends on the people you're surrounded by.

I was in a fraternity and pledgeship was nothing like what's being described. The worst that happened to us was we drank a bunch and occasionally would get yelled at by guys trying (and failing) not to laugh while they were supposed to be intimidating us.

Oh and we had to do a half assed job cleaning up the fraternity house and learn a bunch of nonsense about the house history.

We weren't angels, but I never saw or even heard about any of the traditional fraternity evils aside from binge drinking, but even then we had guys in my pledge class who didn't drink at all and that was always respected. I suppose those other sorts of things like taking liberties with too drunk girls could have been happening without anyone knowing, but the general sense I got was that sort of thing would not be tolerated.

Not that those things didn't happen on campus. There were certainly houses we'd warn the women in our lives about going to and you'd always hear rumors.

My fraternity experience was one of immature but generally decent guys.

At no point in my life was I ever so desperate for approval that I would have ever done any of that shit or allowed it done to me or to somebody else in my presence. No way.

Shit like this makes guys look like perverted animals to many people and it pisses me off.

At no point in my life was I ever so desperate for approval that I would have ever done any of that shit or allowed it done to me or to somebody else in my presence. No way.

Shit like this makes guys look like perverted animals to many people and it pisses me off.

Unfortunately sororities aren't a heck of a lot better.

~Dee~

had a co-op on pledge, the kid was put on sleep deprivation and would fall asleep standing at the Island in the middle of our office. Bruises and stuff all the time - I told him I would have fought back, in no way is dealing with that stuff worth it.

Unfortunately sororities aren't a heck of a lot better.

~Dee~
I fear they are actually more twisted.

Because not all fraternities are like that.

Because not all fraternities are like that.

I suppose. The entire concept of frats are still silly to me, but I have never had an issue making friends in new places. Frats might make that process easier for some when they go to college.

It's the same thing that makes kids take terrible beat downs to get into gangs. Going through some kind of physical ordeal for entry into the club. If the urge to belong to a group is strong enough, enduring the membership rite of initiation is a time-honored tradition.

I suppose. The entire concept of frats are still silly to me, but I have never had an issue making friends in new places. Frats might make that process easier for some when they go to college.

If one believes fraternity bros are real friends, because they are "brothers" he has other issues.

They aren't for everybody. Heck, I didn't want anything to do with the Greek system until a group of down-to-earth guys found me and asked me to consider joining.

I will say that the father in this story has remarkable self-control. If anything like this ever happened to one of my sons, I'd want to be there tearing down that house brick by mother****ing brick with my bare hands.

Back