How the Patriots Recent Additions Could Imply a Shift Back to the 3-4 Defense

O_P_T

Why Be Normal
Reaction score
Interesting article at Pats Pulpit

Editor's note: I thought this was extremely interesting for a discussion. Love to hear thoughts on this, especially the financial component of 3-4 vs 4-3 defensive linemen.

A quick disclaimer – the Patriots run a hybrid defense that incorporates elements of the 3-4 and 4-3, and we’ll see a mixture of both in 2016, as we do every year.

A comment chain on Rich Hill’s article got me thinking about the way that some of the moves the team has made this (and last) offseason seem to reflect the expansion of 3-4 concepts in the Patriots’ defense.

With respect to the defensive line, banditpats’ initial comment was essentially that Dominique Easley-Terrance Knighton-Malcom Brown looks a lot like Ty Warren-Vince Wilfork- Richard Seymour. I would add that while Brown (who played every position on the line in college) and especially Easley might be slightly undersized for a traditional 3-4 DE, Alan Branch has the size to play any one of those spots too. And while scheme fit was certainly not the biggest reason Chandler Jones was traded, he was arguably the front-seven player who most naturally fit the 4-3.

On the edge, Jabaal Sheard has 3-4 OLB experience from his time in Cleveland, Shea McClellin spent time there in Chicago, and we’ve certainly seen Rob Ninkovich succeed in New England when asked to play off the ball. Chris Long has spent most of his NFL snaps aligned at 4-3 DE but coming out of college his versatility to play end and linebacker was part of what made him highly touted.

But modern defenses spend two-thirds of their snaps in the nickel; if a front-seven player is coming off the field isn’t the alignment a moot point? Patrick Chung received an extension/raise last week after the team re-affirmed their commitment to his role going forward. If you lump him in with the linebackers as the big-nickel player on passing downs, bringing Harmon (quietly excellent) in as the second traditional safety, he can be that 4th linebacker sacrificing very little against the run without exposing the pass defense.

There’s also the financial component of collecting 3-4-centric set of players.

Knighton’s $4.5 million contract in Washington last year tied him for second highest paid 3-4 DT, and a year later he’s taking a one-year deal for a couple million dollars. Nose tackles, even top-notch ones, don’t make near as much money as their 4-3 counterparts (look what the Dolphins paid for Ndamukong Suh, for example).

On the edge, Sheard, Nink, McClellin, and Long have a collective 2016 cap hit of ~$16 million with practically zero long-term risk. Chandler Jones, as a 4-3 DE, will cost more than that all by himself this time next year with huge (~50%) guarantees (See: Vernon, Olivier). Throw in that both Brown and Easley have barely started their rookie contracts and that Alan Branch out-played his own modest contract last year and you’ve got an entire front seven (including strong rotational potential and depth) to surround scheme-proof stars Collins and Hightower for about $25 million, or a mere 1/8th of the total salary cap.

Breaking news – Bill Belichick exploits market inefficiencies, more at 11pm.

Of course, we know that Bill really just values versatility. Highlighting the fit of these players in the 3-4 without mentioning that they all have experience and success in 4-3 alignments would be disingenuous. He also likes finding a good deal and there are non-scheme reasons many of these players were had cheaply.

And finally, the difference especially in New England between the 3-4 and the 4-3 is, again, largely semantics. But the offseason moves of the last year or so support the notion that whether by schematic design, financial efficiency, or simple happenstance Belichick appears to be expanding the 3-4 component of the defense.

Now watch him draft three 4-3 DEs in May.

Discuss.

140207_2724263_Coffee_Talk_Cold_Opening_anvver_4.jpg

When your best two players on defense are linebackers - Hightower and Collins - I think it makes sense to play more of a 3-4 than 4-3. I also think Bill likes the big fatty in the middle (Vince now Terrance) to push the pile vs the run and let his LBs clean up. However, I do think Bill will draft 4-3 DE this draft. As with everything, Bill likes to give himself options so no matter offense he is playing, he can utilize his best defensive scheme to match up.

It's an interesting take, but I don't know if Bill is planning to go back to a predominant 3/4 look. It took a few years to transition and acquiring guys like Easley, Grissom and Flowers doesn't fit with the 3/4. Imo. Chris Long could probably play either system effectively.

I figure it's more of a flexibility thing with the importance of matchups being so key in trying to get an edge. You play a 3/4 when the situation calls for it.

Knighton and Frank Kearse basically upgrades what you had with Siliga and Akiem Hicks and Branch sticks around. We have basically the same ratio of fatties and I don't buy the Shea McClellin as a 3/4 OLB argument, either. He hasn't really succeeded in carving out a particular niche as far as I can see.

I don't see Malcom Brown as a 3/4 end, either, nor do I want to see Sheard standing up more than occasionally. I mean.....why mess with him? He was very good for us doing what he did.

I've always heard that one argument for a team converting is if they had more good linebackers than DLs, so you want to get them on the field. I don't see that being the case here barring whatever happens in the draft. I believe we are quite thin at LB as it stands.

Back when we played 3/4 it narrowed the field of draftable guys somewhat, but all that is out the window now. You don't know what BB is planning on until a week after he does it, if then. The man is a Sphinx.

If we use a 2nd rounder on Tyler Fackrell (a Vrabel/Connor Barwin type), for instance, then I might reconsider this 3/4 stuff, but right now I'm not really seeing much to get worked up over.

You don't know what BB is planning on until a week after he does it, if then. The man is a Sphinx.

So true. It is why I LOVE the off-season so much. You never know what Bill will do. I certainly did not expect all the FA signings or trade for Bennett. And as you say, who knows how it all looks come TC and then actual games? Honestly, Bill and his team building is what makes being a Pats fan so fantastic year round.

I don't see this as any new revelation. I think BB missed VW's value in the run game. BB is setting the team back up for the personnel he had with VW to give him the flexibility to choose between 3-4, 4-3, nickel and dime. Against heavy running teams I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see our D in a 3-4 more this year than last. The Bills, Jets & Broncos are prime examples.

Looks like an ideal, 2 deep, 4 man front, lineup to me with some variation of: Nink/Long - Brown/Easley - Knighton/Branch - Sheard/Flowers/Grissom. Not too shabby at all. Can actually be studly if Easley can stay healthy and Flowers and Grissom progress in their second years.

I see Chung and McClellin rotating in/out to join High and Collins depending on matchup.

DT Depth looks good.

I am really starting to like the look of the depth of the DTs this year.

Markus Kuhn, IMHO under used and productive when he was in.

Terrance Knighton, You can't question his ability against the run.

Malcom Brown, He showed much promise as a rookie.

Alan Branch, Was a solid contributor last season.

Terrance Knighton, Effective as a backup.

Dominique Easley, IF healthy can be a solid inside rusher.

Chris Jones, another if healthy a solid depth guy.

Frank Kearse, a big question but you never know what a change of scenery could do.

Joe Vellano, Depth guy who may not stay on the roster.

3-3-5 with the safety at LB position to give the 3-4 look with 3 cb's. It is why the undersized LB from USC is so interesting.

3-3-5 with the safety at LB position to give the 3-4 look with 3 cb's. It is why the undersized LB from USC is so interesting.

See, that's the thing about BB. He only talks about the pure 3-4 and 4-3 in historical terms. BB may line up 5 guys along the defensive line with 2 guys playing off the line and call it a 3-4 on one call but a 4-3 on another. For BB, it's all about positional responsibility rather than alignment. In nickel, BB can sub a DT for a DB (3-3-5) or a LB for a DB (4-2-5) but since Chung is already in the box it's not a pure 4-2-5. In dime he can do both (3-2-6) by bringing in another S-LB hybrid but it's not a true 3-2-6 going by alignment...but it is going by responsibility. It's complicated & BB is tricky that way...always thinking ahead.

This season feels like Bill has a pure plug and play defense. He can be as versatile and as multiple as he wants. I can't wait for the draft.

It was interesting to hear Belichick talk about changing schemes in the interview PFL posted.
He mentioned how since his team usually sits further back in the draft, that rather than take the 6th best player at positions everyone else wants, he tries to come up with schemes that others aren't using so he can grab players that are best for that scheme. His example was being one of the few teams in the early 2000's to use a 3/4. Then after winning a ton of games many teams switched to 3/4, so he then switched again to have access to differently talented players.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=71603

Back