How would you rate the officials of SB LII?

Shemp

Upright Member
Reaction score
I don't like to give the zebras credit for wins and losses in NFL games. But, I gotta say, this crew blew some huge calls that affected the outcome of the game... Me? My grade is D-.

Apparently Hogan got taken out of it on the last hail mary, it was blatant some are saying.

The Patriots were penalized 6 times for 52 yards in the playoffs.
Their opponents were penalized 22 times for 195 yards in the playoffs.

tenor.gif

The Patriots were penalized 6 times for 52 yards in the playoffs.
Their opponents were penalized 22 times for 195 yards in the playoffs.

tenor.gif

And that's relevant how yesterday with non calls/blown calls?

The officiating was shockingly egregious and abysmal. How is it possible that refs are this incompetent in the premiere football league, and why is there zero accountability for it? It's to the point where you start taking seriously talk of corruption.

092612-sports-memes-5-nfl-replacement-refs.jpg

The officiating was shockingly egregious and abysmal. How is it possible that refs are this incompetent in the premiere football league, and why is there zero accountability for it? It's to the point where you start taking seriously talk of corruption.

092612-sports-memes-5-nfl-replacement-refs.jpg

They wanted the Eagles to winnit... :coffee:

I don't like to give the zebras credit for wins and losses in NFL games. But, I gotta say, this crew blew some huge calls that affected the outcome of the game... Me? My grade is D-.

2hyay5d.jpg

I thought the officiating was fine.

A few boneheaded calls (namely the no call for illegal formation on the Foles TD catch) and the complete lack of any sort of holding penalties on either OL was bizarre as well.

I've seen poorer officiating, but when you miss a rather straightforward illegal formation penalty you just gotta scratch your head and wonder how a guy misses that?

Did he freeze under the bright lights? Or did he simply just not see it?

The Clement call was bad. I figured we’d have one in the SB and I figured after all the calls - rightfully called - during the season they would not be in our favor.

Any missed call with the review system they have in place is fail.

The Clement call was bad. I figured we’d have one in the SB and I figured after all the calls - rightfully called - during the season they would not be in our favor.

Any missed call with the review system they have in place is fail.

The Clement TD was almost exatly the same situation as the Kelvin Benjamin TD that was overturned in Foxboro. If you're consistent, you overturn Clement's too, but all season long there was an outcry about over-officiating from Riveron in NYC, and it seems like the NFL didn't want a shit storm over another overturned call after a replay review against the Pats.

I don't put that one on the on-field officials, that was a booth decision.

The league folded to the pressure of people saying Pats were paying refs off, no way they overturn those. I guess when the pats lose they should cry for a month about how bad the refs are.

The league folded to the pressure of people saying Pats were paying refs off, no way they overturn those. I guess when the pats lose they should cry for a month about how bad the refs are.

That was my thought as well. Way too much crying by everyone through-out the season. They weren't going to overturn the calls again with the world watching. Correctness be damned.

Although Ertz's touchdown was 100% a touchdown.

That was my thought as well. Way too much crying by everyone through-out the season. They weren't going to overturn the calls again with the world watching. Correctness be damned.

Although Ertz's touchdown was 100% a touchdown.

I thought it was also...the Ertz td.

Clements wasn't though.

When Cooks gets KO/d...Brady was crushed after he clearly threw it. That one stood out for me. I'm sure there were countless other gaffes too.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 PM ----------

I would agree with this...

It wasn't illegal formation on the trick play. Receivers "check in" with refs all the time to see if they are lined up properly. The receiver gets in position and either nods or points at the ref watching the line of scrimmage as if to say, "We good bro?" Usually the ref nods yes.. but once in a while he will indicate "Move up a little" and the receiver complies. It happens all the time.

On this play the receiver everyone is complaining about did "check in" and his position was "blessed" by the ref. Did it look a little off, yeah, but the fact he did check in makes it legal. Had the ref said "move up" he would have. That he had the FORESIGHT to check in says that it was agreed he was okay before the snap, and would have adjusted if need be.

Obviously the Clements TD was crap, the Ertz one was a great play on his part. I recall one other play when Foles was chased from the pocket and the OLine clipped the arm of the Pats pursuer, but if that's the only thing I can remember, I'm going with a B. The one big miss was the Clements TD and that decision was made by the league office, not the guys in stripes on the field.

Back