Hurricane Matthew

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
A killer hurricane is bearing down on South Florida. Miami is supposed to host Tennessee on Sunday, but it may need to be moved or postponed.

Still no decisions have been made about Titans-Dolphins game

Posted by Mike Florio on October 6, 2016, 2:03 PM EDT

A major hurricane is bearing down on South Florida, three days before the Titans and Dolphins are due to meet in Miami. For now, no decisions have been made about whether the game will proceed as scheduled.

As the teams and the league officially monitor the storm closely, unofficially no specific steps have been taken to alter the time and place of the game. A one-day delay to Monday is possible; a two-day weather delay also wouldn’t be unprecedented (e.g., Vikings-Eagles in December 2010).

Moving the game to Tennessee is possible, but a ninth home game for Tennessee would create an unfair competitive advantage. A neutral site also could be pursued, but the communications and other infrastructural requirements would limit the universe of potential options to other NFL stadiums. This weekend, venues in Atlanta, New Orleans, Tampa, and Jacksonville would be available. (The other Florida locations could be impacted by the storm, too.)

It still hasn’t gotten to the point where changes need to be made, yet. It possibly won’t. But with the hurricane at Category 4 and moving toward land, the time for making tough decisions could be coming soon.

Have some friends on their anniversary trip at Disney. There were supposed to leave Saturday but that flight has been cancelled and they are there until Tuesday. Parks should be dead when they reopen for them. Disney upgraded their room to a three bedroom suite for free. If I was to go through a major hurricane, it would be inland where the major issue is more wind. I sorta wish I was there also.

I would assume the police and emergency services personnel that normally are part of an NFL game would be more useful elsewhere.

More important than the NFL and Herr Goodell?

:coffee:

Current projections have Palm Beach receiving a heavy impact. Palm Beach is just 40 miles north of the stadium. The storm could still be a Cat 4 when it rakes the Florida coast line.

The NCAA has already postponed games in the area. Back when Andrew hit Florida ('92), the Pats/Fins game was postponed (opening game). The league was fortunate that both teams had the same by week, so they played then.

pbchx9erpvpx.jpg

Sent from my Enigma Device

Matthew will be hitting us later today. Fortunately, we live about 60 miles west of Daytona Beach so our winds will be tropical storm force, not hurricane.

South Florida dodged the bullet. The game should be good to go.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...arns-this-is-not-over/?utm_term=.711729f4c92e

There was even extreme caution from the Waffle House, the southern institution that has famously become a yardstick for emergency responders looking to gauge the impact disasters have on communities because of how quickly it reopens restaurants.

Waffle House said Friday that it has closed more than two dozen locations from Florida to South Carolina.

:huh::confused:

Looks like Piggy is taking a direct hit.

<i>Moving the game to Tennessee is possible, but a ninth home game for Tennessee would create an unfair competitive advantage.</i>

Goodell is on it! He's taking away Matthew's 1st and 4th, fining it a million bucks, and forcing it to veer toward Baltimore and Indy.

Back