I hope the hostility on this board is only temporary

dred

OG Colts fan
Reaction score
All joking aside.

I consider myself a regular over here since Jan 2004.

Have had a lot of good times chatting with most of you both in the season and throughout the offseason.
Hell, the Planet used to be one of my favorite boards to hang out.

But lately.....

Seems like everyone has become irrational pricks.

Weak jabs, personal insults, calling people out and nothing but pure hatred towards everything.

So I ask... WTF is going on with this place?

We all used to respect each others teams, accomplishments and other fans opinions.... with lots of fun "ribbing" in between. :D

Maybe its just me?

I'm just not used to seeing some of you in this light lately.

WTF?

dred on 11-07-2007 at 09:25 PM said:
All joking aside.

I consider myself a regular over here since Jan 2004.

Have had a lot of good times chatting with most of you both in the season and throughout the offseason.
Hell, the Planet used to be one of my favorite boards to hang out.

But lately.....

Seems like everyone has become irrational pricks.

Weak jabs, personal insults, calling people out and nothing but pure hatred towards everything.

We all used to respect each others teams, accomplishments and other fans opinions.... with lots of fun "ribbing" in between. :D

Maybe its just me?

I'm just not used to seeing some of you in this light lately.

WTF?
To be honest dred, I see you taking a lot of stuff way too personally.

You usually let shit roll off your back, and you've been uncharacteristicly surly.

Just an observation. YMMV.

Please specify the threads and/or people.

Because, not for nothing, but you just called "everyone" a bunch of "irrational pricks".

Sort of a strange way to suggest a group hug, no?

Re: Re: I hope the hostility on this board is only temporary

TommyD420 on 11-07-2007 at 09:33 PM said:
To be honest dred, I see you taking a lot of stuff way too personally.

You usually let shit roll off your back, and you've been uncharacteristicly surly.

Just an observation. YMMV.
Oh, I consider myself a pro when it comes to having thick skin.

I can dish it out as well as take it. You know this.

But I am just not diggin the overall "vibe" of this place lately.

Thats all.

Just trying to figure out why I am even worried about it to begin with.

I'm not going to call anybody out JD.

Thats not what I am about.

Maybe I just forgot how crazy the boards get during Colts/Pats week?

Seems this year is ... more intense, though.

methinks youre just cranky after a colts loss

dred on 11-07-2007 at 09:43 PM said:
I'm not going to call anybody out JD.

Thats not what I am about.

Maybe I just forgot how crazy the boards get during Colts/Pats week?

Seems this year is ... more intense, though.

Well, not for nothing, but you just "called everybody out" by labeling everyone as pricks. If someone's pissing in your Wheaties, I suggest you take it up with them, or put them on ignore. IMO it's actually been pretty civil around here for a Colts/Pats week... of course, it didn't hurt that the Pats won, LOL.

As to why it's bothering you... can't help you with that one. I have a long list of ignores, because I'm too old to get all hot and bothered about something someone says online.

Blame Don Shula.

After the colts game I thought we (fans and media) were going to start to focus on the good things going on in football (Pats,Colts,Boys,Packers).

It looks like we are back at square one with the national hate towards us. Warranted/unwarranted it doesn't matter... it’s there and we're cranky :mad:

Just put on an extra layer skin and you should be fine. :)

Well, I know for one that I have been edgy and moody lately. I don't know if you're referencing me at all but I'm usually self-aware enough to know when I'm being a d*ck. But then I also feel like I might sound like someone who's making situations about themselves. Sigh.

Personally speaking, I've had some stressful ish going on and have let that seep into my posts here and my demeanor in general.

I was a complete a-hole to Steve-O and JohnAdams in the game thread and I regret that. SteelerFan87 caught some of my wrath as well but he seems to enjoy it partly. :shrug:

If I've upset, offended you at all-my apologies. I really enjoy your carefree attitude in your posts dred.

heh

I have NEVER put a person on ignore.

Don't believe in it.

If somebody calls me out, I feel obligated to retort.

;)

Cap Morgan and FullyTilted....

I think both of you guys nailed it.

Just wanted to know I wasn't the only one feeling the "vibe".

>)

dred on 11-07-2007 at 09:25 PM said:

Serious hat on:
I think some of it is a reflection of the way the Patriots are viewed by outsiders, at this point. Even during the 3 SB years, it felt the biggest issue regarding the way the team was viewed was: a lack of respect, that the Patriots were "lucky"/ a "system team"/ overacheivers, etc.

This year has been markedly different. It feels as if the media, other fans, heck - anyone that isn't a Pats fan, HATES the Patriots. And it has manifested not just as jealousy/envy over a great team, but as a barrage of accusations and attacks (cheaters, running up the score, etc.). I've even grown sick of the snide quotes that my local newspaper feels compelled to put in from late night comedians and other hecklers making jokes comparing Belichick to a criminal.

Lately I've toyed with the idea of going on the forum boards of past "dynasty" teams (49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers) and ask old timers that lived through their teams haydays, how it felt throughout their teams rise and fall as NFL Kings. One thing that would certainly be different for those team's fans is that the internet/instant media (24 hour sattelite coverage) didn't exist during their team's peaks. They didn't have to endure, up close and personal, how they were viewed by others quite the way it is today. I can well remember absolutely HATING the Steelers and Cowboys during their reins of terror, but there sure wasn't any way for me to (safely) go tell a large group of their fans my feelings (as folks now can on the internet).

I can also say that, as a fan of this team, I've never felt the absolute confidence in this team as I have for anyone else I've followed. Closest would be the Lakers in the 80's when I was still living in CA. But even their success doesn't mirror what is going on here. It does have some effect on your mindset when your team isn't just good, or really good, but blow everything else out of the water good.

Another drawback to being this "good" is that the team seems to be drawing a lot more bandwagon fans (more so than before) that don't have the history of being a fan when the Patriots were human (or played worse than that, even). "New" fans can certainly drag down a respectful attitude. Or new fans on a message board may speak w/o getting it.

Don't know if this helps at all, dred. But I've noticed a change in attitude not just here, but on other Patriot fan boards as well.

One of these days Brady and Belichick will ride off into the sunset and we'll probably go through some pretty lean years and be humble schmoes again, and the rest of the world won't think we are still the devil's children.
Hope ya stick with us, anyway.
Bishbash

Re: Re: Re: I hope the hostility on this board is only temporary

dred on 11-07-2007 at 09:38 PM said:
Oh, I consider myself a pro when it comes to having thick skin.

I can dish it out as well as take it. You know this.

But I am just not diggin the overall "vibe" of this place lately.

Thats all.

Just trying to figure out why I am even worried about it to begin with.

it will pass......alot of new posters all at once tends to change the feel of the place...:) give it time or just go change the vibe of the place yourself........>)

Re: Re: Re: Re: I hope the hostility on this board is only temporary

chiefsgal* on 11-07-2007 at 10:08 PM said:
it will pass......alot of new posters all at once tends to change the feel of the place...:) give it time or just go change the vibe of the place yourself........>)

Exactly.

Staring at chiefsgal's avatar, for example, makes my vibe change dramatically... :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: I hope the hostility on this board is only temporary

chiefsgal* on 11-07-2007 at 10:08 PM said:

Do you change your 'vibe' often cg? Can I watch?

When you have longstanding members of this board that aren't Pats fans piping up with the cheating allegations, runningupthescore gate, poor sportsmanship and just general asswholery on a daily basis without letting it go, it would probably bother you if you were a Pats fan too. Daily non-stop attacks inspire counter-attacks, and that's when you get people piliing on about even more insignificant crap like 'dome-noisegate'.

People are only willing to hear so much crap before they shut it down and quit being civil. When people reach this stage, anything can happen. People quit trying to see the best in the others and just start counter-attacking.

It's not about who is right or who is wrong about the subject at hand: when you attack a fanbase by denigrating their team, you're going to get hositility in return, regardless of their past history.

That's exactly what's going on, IMO. If each member of this board would take a step back and think twice about some of the stupid shit that they're about to say, there would be quite a few less communications problems around here.

That goes for Pats fans and non-Pats fans alike.

Plus, it was Colts week.

Annihilus* on 11-07-2007 at 10:21 PM said:
It's not about who is right or who is wrong about the subject at hand: when you attack a fanbase by denigrating their team, you're going to get hositility in return, regardless of their past history.

BTW, Annihilus, I've admired your work on Jets Insider this season. ROFL

Re: Re: I hope the hostility on this board is only temporary

bishbash on 11-07-2007 at 10:04 PM said:
Serious hat on:
I think some of it is a reflection of the way the Patriots are viewed by outsiders, at this point. Even during the 3 SB years, it felt the biggest issue regarding the way the team was viewed was: a lack of respect, that the Patriots were "lucky"/ a "system team"/ overacheivers, etc.

This year has been markedly different. It feels as if the media, other fans, heck - anyone that isn't a Pats fan, HATES the Patriots. And it has manifested not just as jealousy/envy over a great team, but as a barrage of accusations and attacks (cheaters, running up the score, etc.). I've even grown sick of the snide quotes that my local newspaper feels compelled to put in from late night comedians and other hecklers making jokes comparing Belichick to a criminal.

Lately I've toyed with the idea of going on the forum boards of past "dynasty" teams (49ers, Cowboys, Steelers, Packers) and ask old timers that lived through their teams haydays, how it felt throughout their teams rise and fall as NFL Kings. One thing that would certainly be different for those team's fans is that the internet/instant media (24 hour sattelite coverage) didn't exist during their team's peaks. They didn't have to endure, up close and personal, how they were viewed by others quite the way it is today. I can well remember absolutely HATING the Steelers and Cowboys during their reins of terror, but there sure wasn't any way for me to (safely) go tell a large group of their fans my feelings (as folks now can on the internet).

I can also say that, as a fan of this team, I've never felt the absolute confidence in this team as I have for anyone else I've followed. Closest would be the Lakers in the 80's when I was still living in CA. But even their success doesn't mirror what is going on here. It does have some effect on your mindset when your team isn't just good, or really good, but blow everything else out of the water good.

Another drawback to being this "good" is that the team seems to be drawing a lot more bandwagon fans (more so than before) that don't have the history of being a fan when the Patriots were human (or played worse than that, even). "New" fans can certainly drag down a respectful attitude. Or new fans on a message board may speak w/o getting it.

Don't know if this helps at all, dred. But I've noticed a change in attitude not just here, but on other Patriot fan boards as well.

One of these days Brady and Belichick will ride off into the sunset and we'll probably go through some pretty lean years and be humble schmoes again, and the rest of the world won't think we are still the devils children.
Hope ya stick with us, anyway.
Bishbash
:bow: :Lecture: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That just rocks, Bishbash.

No one could have said it any better, and as someone who is old enough to remember that we should have won our first in '76, I say thank you. This is not a johnny come lately franchise with a 30 year history of futility. And the Hannahs, Grogans, Tipppets,
Lippetts, James', Hamiltons, Morgans, etc. deserve respect too.

Annihilus* on 11-07-2007 at 10:21 PM said:
If each member of this board would take a step back and think twice about some of the stupid shit that they're about to say, there would be <strike>quite a few less communications problems</strike> no posts at all around here.

Fixed your post. :D

Back