I really like this girl that I work with. What should I do?

fusion99

Reaction score
Dear fellow planeteers, I need your advice here!

Here's the story. There's a girl, that over the past few months, which I have grown very fond to. She works in the same building that I do, but for a different company. Both of the companies that we work for are sister companies - so we don't actually work together, but most of our conversations take place during work hours.

I never really noticed her until a couple of months ago when we had a company party. I ended up talking to her for pretty much the whole night. It wasn't until that night that I really realized what she brings to the table, personality-wise.

She has a lot of awesome qualities which I find extremely attractive. She's very smart, really nice, funny, ambitious, and down to earth - not to mention pretty cute. From my experiences with the opposite sex, I don't find qualities like that in a woman very often. I couldn't ask for more out of one person.

Since then, we've talked on and off about various work and personal topics, and I have even gotten her to do work for my own side business. I'll be honest though, the only reason I had her do work for my side business was so I could interact with her on a regular basis. You know, find out what she likes and does in her free time, plus, it gives me a good excuse to take her out to lunch.

Well after we were both done for the day, she comes over to my office and we start talking, and the topic came up of me putting my life on the right track. After this short conversation, she goes into a diatribe about how shes going through a mid-life crisis - keep in mind that she's still younger than 30.

I honestly didn't know what to say and I felt uncomfortable to ask what was going on in her personal life which would make her say that. I am still getting to know her on a personal basis, and didn't want to get too deep into the reasoning why she'd mention that to me.

Here's the problem which leads up to the question. I am truly concerned that she's having some sort of problem in her life and I don't know how to approach her about it. In fact, if it's a relationship problem (she mentioned having a boyfriend once to me and never talked about him again), I just want to let her know that I'm there if she needs someone to talk to, plus - and here's the tricky part - I really want to tell her how I feel about her without jeopardizing our relationship at work - because that can really mess things up.

How can I do that? Is it even possible?

So you're just saying that I should approach her and ask her what's causing these problems in her life?

I got to admit. As I was reading the first few paragraphs, I was going to say something about him taking her to Red Lobster, which was perfect considering his sig.

As I got towards the end, I realized this story didn't really match that previous classic thread.

So you're just saying that I should approach her and ask her what's causing these problems in her life?

A better approach may be to tell her that she seems to have some issues and if she needs someone to talk to, you're there.

This let's her know you care but still gives her an easy out to not discuss it with you if she's not comfortable doing that.

I got to admit. As I was reading the first few paragraphs, I was going to say something about him taking her to Red Lobster, which was perfect considering his sig.
As I got towards the end, I realized this story didn't really match that previous classic thread.

Yup.

One piece of advice. Never be the nice guy she comes to with her problems. Ever. Death sentence relationship wise. She will never see you in that light again. Better to try to close the deal as a callous thug.

A better approach may be to tell her that she seems to have some issues and if she needs someone to talk to, you're there.

This let's her know you care but still gives her an easy out to not discuss it with you if she's not comfortable doing that.

I know my reputation here isn't exactly the best when it comes to the relationship aspect of my life.

Yet, I do appreciate your advice and will take it into consideration on Monday.

PS. Just for the record, we didn't go to Red Lobster. :thumb:

Ask "you in a relationship?"

If yes, hope it is with a chick and they need a dude to complete the trio

If no, ask if she believes Dr Oz is correct in tgat sleeping naked helps you sleep better and sex relieves headaches.

Dude.

You're overanalyzing it.

Does she make you feel happy in your plums? If the answer is yes- Then GIVE IT A SHOT! Ask her out on a date and be cool- Show her a good time, see where it goes, and let things take their natural process!

STOP with this Good Will Hunting BS; "What if she isn't good enough? What if I'm not good enough?"...Like Robin Williams said in the movie- " Shes not perfect and neither are you"....I guarantee she's got a few skeletons in the closet but so frigging what?!?!?!

Stop dancing aroung it, be a man, and take control! Also, like shirtsleeve said, being her sounding board for her ex-boyfriend is a 1-way tickey to friendville.

*Also, take her to Red Lobster and make sure her ass doesn't smell like a cheeseburger

(* Denotes PP inside joke)

Just for shits and giggles, have you given up on this way of life:

I know I'm right. There's no other reasons for females to exist other than sexual gratification. I can cook, I can clean, and I can sure make a living without the necessity of having some hag bitching to me about where I am, why I didn't call before I came home, or passing out drunk at my friends place.

Cuz if not, don't bother this poor girl.

*Posted by Fusion99 on 2-27-2009

Right?

Cuz who wants to cook and clean when you got a woman around for that? Plus who's gonna shave your back?

Yup.

One piece of advice. Never be the nice guy she comes to with her problems. Ever. Death sentence relationship wise. She will never see you in that light again. Better to try to close the deal as a callous thug.

While i agree nice guys finish last, thinking back to my single days and some of the guys that were my go to guys, had they felt this way and went for it things might of been different. We can't read your minds and never want to assume anything.

The tricky part here is you work with her. How will you ever know if you don't try? Life is too short. But try to find out her relationship status first. Being rebound guy isn't really a great thing but if you get too into the friendship level then it will make it even more awkward. So basically don't sit on it too long.

Also you might wanna lose the b*tching hag attitude if it still exists. Any good girl would tell you to shove it up your ass. Not all girls are the same and it wouldn't be fair to treat them all like they are horrible people because of your past situations. The past is the past we live and learn. Don't be an ahole.

Good luck! Single life is both fantastic and crappy depending on the day :) same as non single life

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: :celebrate:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YUtHjOvPKT0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First, I have to say, when I read that quote, I LOL'd. That was definitely me four years ago!

To get back on topic though...You know, a lot of the women I have met in the past never had any good qualities outside of what they looked like.

There was one girl who worked at a local sports bar which I dated a few years back. She had the looks, but nothing upstairs. I remember asking her, what do you want to do with your life (not like mine was any better at the time) - and she responds with...

"Well, I really want to do hair and makeup." :banghead:

To me, all she was worth was a lay. It's not the type of woman you would want to have for any extended period of time.

On the other hand, as I said in a previous post, my view on relationships and the general outlook on life itself haven't been the best either. When I was younger, all I wanted to do was go out, party, bang as many women as possible, then repeat the process all over again.

I know that's not the true meaning of how to go through your life, there's more to it. I was being my typical asshole self. Remember us getting into it after Tom Brady got married, and I start a shit-storm because all he should be doing it banging as many girls as possible? Listen, and I know this will get quoted, I was wrong!

I am well aware that eventually all of it will catch up to me and karma will bite me in the ass, which is why over the last year or so, I've really focused on being a better person - not having my friends dictate my life and making my own decisions. I'm not getting any younger - I'm in my early 30's, and the time has come to buckle down. I'm sure you're shocked to hear (read) that coming from me.

This girl, on the other hand, is not the type that will be going out to clubs and bars every weekend. Honestly, if I were to settle down with someone, it would be someone who has her qualities. I hope you noticed in my original post, that I rant and rave about who she is, not what she looks like.

It's different this time around.

First, I have to say, when I read that quote, I LOL'd. That was definitely me four years ago!

To get back on topic though...You know, a lot of the women I have met in the past never had any good qualities outside of what they looked like.

There was one girl who worked at a local sports bar which I dated a few years back. She had the looks, but nothing upstairs. I remember asking her, what do you want to do with your life (not like mine was any better at the time) - and she responds with...

"Well, I really want to do hair and makeup." :banghead:

To me, all she was worth was a lay. It's not the type of woman you would want to have for any extended period of time.

On the other hand, as I said in a previous post, my view on relationships and the general outlook on life itself haven't been the best either. When I was younger, all I wanted to do was go out, party, bang as many women as possible, then repeat the process all over again.

I know that's not the true meaning of how to go through your life, there's more to it. I was being my typical asshole self. Remember us getting into it after Tom Brady got married, and I start a shit-storm because all he should be doing it banging as many girls as possible? Listen, and I know this will get quoted, I was wrong!

I am well aware that eventually all of it will catch up to me and karma will bite me in the ass, which is why over the last year or so, I've really focused on being a better person - not having my friends dictate my life and making my own decisions. I'm not getting any younger - I'm in my early 30's, and the time has come to buckle down. I'm sure you're shocked to hear (read) that coming from me.

This girl, on the other hand, is not the type that will be going out to clubs and bars every weekend. Honestly, if I were to settle down with someone, it would be someone who has her qualities. I hope you noticed in my original post, that I rant and rave about who she is, not what she looks like.

It's different this time around.

You don't need to explain yourself. Being a man in your early 20's- of COURSE it is completely normal to want to bang everything.

You have evolved, which is also completely normal.

You don't need to explain yourself to other guys; We all get it. Women are less forgiving however.

Ask the girl out and don't be a creep or stalker when she says yes.

:)
You don't need to explain yourself. Being a man in your early 20's- of COURSE it is completely normal to want to bang everything.

You don't need to explain yourself to other guys; We all get it. Women are less forgiving however.

Thanks for understanding! It's much appreciated!

Wait.

Wut?

:spock:

Well, if you've matured, then great.

A piece of advice? When you say things like "It's not the type of woman you would want to have for any extended period of time" because she does hair and makeup, it sort of doesn't really show much maturity at all. That is a trade as much as being an electrician or any other tradesman has. Would you say the same to someone in one of the "male-typical" trades? My stepdaughter does hair and makeup. You have just insulted her.

Try to stop being so chauvinistic and maybe some of us will believe you.

I was thinking "or really just hoping for" another Cheese Burger story here at the planet but from a different member

Back