I'm A Nervous Wreck!

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Today my son will make his first skydive. It's something he has wanted to do all his life. Although I am happy he is accomplishing one of his life goals, I'm scared to death for him. Are there any other people here who have sky dived and can calm my nerves. ( and if all you can think of is an obscene remark, dont bother, I'm too nervous to appreciate any bathroom humor today)

I've never done it (and don't want to!), but a few years ago, my brother-in-law and his wife did it, and they said it was AWESOME! They even got a video of it, pictures, etc., and they said they weren't scared at all! They said it was the most amazing thing they'd ever done! Don't worry - He'll be fine, and when all is said and done, he'll have memories that will last a lifetime!

I've done it. Nothing to worry about. It is a very exhilarating sport that I recommend to everyone. :thumb:
My first jump was with a 6 pack in me and I landed in some saplings and got all scratched up. :D

I've never done it (and don't want to!), but a few years ago, my brother-in-law and his wife did it, and they said it was AWESOME! They even got a video of it, pictures, etc., and they said they weren't scared at all! They said it was the most amazing thing they'd ever done! Don't worry - He'll be fine, and when all is said and done, he'll have memories that will last a lifetime!
yeah, he will and thx for the feed back. I 'm trying to think positive. lol eeek

My wife has always wanted to do it. I told her I'll stay home by the phone and wait for the "next of kin" call.

Don't worry mom, he'll be fine :grovel:

I've done it. Nothing to worry about. It is a very exhilarating sport that I recommend to everyone. :thumb:
My first jump was with a 6 pack in me and I landed in some saplings and got all scratched up. :D
you're A BRAVE PERSON!!! I can't even go to watch him! :bow:

you're A BRAVE PERSON!!! I can't even go to watch him! :bow:

Really nothing to it. The view is 2 dimensional until you get @ the height where you can differentiate between trees and the ground. @ that point a 3 dimensional aspect is obvious :D and you can judge that you indeed are falling. :D

I have never had a falling dream since jumping. :)

Really nothing to it. The view is 2 dimensional until you get @ the height where you can differentiate between trees and the ground. @ that point a 3 dimensional aspect is obvious :D and you can judge that you indeed are falling. :D
ok if ya say so. lol I think I need to get :high: and I just remembered today is Friday the 13 th! Geez...............

Made 140 jumps when I was younger. If he's making a tandem jump there isn't much to worry about. Even if he were to totally freak out and grab both the jumpmaster's arms in a vice grip so noone could pull the ripcord, the reserve has an automatic activation device on it that will open it at a given altitude if they are going too fast vertically when they go through the set height.

If he's gone through the full training and jumping either static line or a jumpmaster in freefall with him the first few jumps can be a little more iffy. It really comes down to personality, and some people (mostly those who would never go in the first place) are not cut out for it. I remember a lady who was an emergency room nurse and used to high stress levels but just couldn't handle it. She kept screwing up and somewhere around her 30th jump (most people get through the student progression in 10-15) she simply didn't pull the ripcord. The auto device on the reserve saved her but she ended up on a sandbar in a river. After that they told her she wasn't allowed to jump any more.

One of the greatest rushes and most peaceful feelings you can ever have.

I've always wanted to do it, hubby said he pay for it then he laughed evilly. HMMMMMMM

But yeah something I always wanted to try to do

Jean, here we have alot of paratroopers due to the military in the area. About 3-5 times a year they do their quota jumping and we as civilians get to go and view if we like. It is incredible, fantastic and every time I go watch, I tell hubby, I want to do that. To see their faces , just pure joy it really is.
Best of luck to your son, he will be fine mom

Today my son will make his first skydive. It's something he has wanted to do all his life. Although I am happy he is accomplishing one of his life goals, I'm scared to death for him. Are there any other people here who have sky dived and can calm my nerves. ( and if all you can think of is an obscene remark, dont bother, I'm too nervous to appreciate any bathroom humor today)
how old is he sleepyjean and will any of his friends be on the jump as well?

Made 140 jumps when I was younger. If he's making a tandem jump there isn't much to worry about. Even if he were to totally freak out and grab both the jumpmaster's arms in a vice grip so noone could pull the ripcord, the reserve has an automatic activation device on it that will open it at a given altitude if they are going too fast vertically when they go through the set height.

If he's gone through the full training and jumping either static line or a jumpmaster in freefall with him the first few jumps can be a little more iffy. It really comes down to personality, and some people (mostly those who would never go in the first place) are not cut out for it. I remember a lady who was an emergency room nurse and used to high stress levels but just couldn't handle it. She kept screwing up and somewhere around her 30th jump (most people get through the student progression in 10-15) she simply didn't pull the ripcord. The auto device on the reserve saved her but she ended up on a sandbar in a river. After that they told her she wasn't allowed to jump any more.

One of the greatest rushes and most peaceful feelings you can ever have.
Yes, I believe he is doing a tandem jump and Thx for the info. feel better now and I admire your courage!

My wife has jumped twice to raise money for a charity. She loved it and said it was very safe. You are buckled to veteran jumper who is behind you. They make sure you can't screw up. I can't tell you not to worry, because that's what parents do, but everything will be fine.

how old is he sleepyjean and will any of his friends be on the jump as well?
He is 45 and is jumping with friends who are all Rangers? Army reserves?I think.. BTW this is my #1 son and this next pic is after his 1st car accident. In his 2nd accident he broke his neck. (true story) Now you know why I'm a nervous wreck!

My wife has jumped twice to raise money for a charity. She loved it and said it was very safe. You are buckled to veteran jumper who is behind you. They make sure you can't screw up. I can't tell you not to worry, because that's what parents do, but everything will be fine.
thx :)

I've always wanted to do it, hubby said he pay for it then he laughed evilly. HMMMMMMM

But yeah something I always wanted to try to do
Thx, girl I can't even jump off my couch without a Zanax!! :LOL:

Back