Indy Columnist (Doyle) blasts Colts for wanting to hire McDaniels

Mazz22

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies.
Reaction score
Gregg Doyle had harsh comments for Irsay and the Colts for wanting to hire McDaniels. Actually they are scathing.

Here are some choice excerpts:

Josh McDaniels will get a second chance, but not a clean slate. That isn't how these things work, not for any of us. We get a clean slate just once, same as Josh McDaniels, and his came in 2009 when he was hired to coach the Denver Broncos. And in less than two years he spray-painted so much graffiti on there that the Broncos fired him for a variety of reasons, so take your pick: his abrasive personality, his horrific judgment of talent, his team’s penchant for losing games, or those broken NFL rules.

And I still can’t believe this is happening. Can’t believe McDaniels will soon be hired by the Colts, and entrusted with Andrew Luck. Can’t believe he was the hottest commodity on the coaching market this fall. McDaniels is Lane Kiffin to me, an arrogant young punk who ascended rapidly after Daddy got him a cherry first job in coaching – McDaniels’ father, Ohio high school legend Thom McDaniels, was friends with Nick Saban, who hired Josh as a grad assistant at Michigan State in 1999 – and who kept getting promoted to the point of failure.

The only branch on Belichick’s coaching tree that interests me is Josh McDaniels, whose tenure in Denver was so toxic, he clashed with players who worked closest with him (quarterback Jay Cutler, receiver Brandon Marshall, tight end Tony Scheffler) and one coach (that we know of, defensive coordinator Mike Nolan) and left this impression on punter Mitch Berger:

“I felt like I was playing for an equipment manager or something – he was like a little punk …” Berger said of McDaniels. “As soon as I had a game that wasn’t up to his standards, he wouldn’t talk to you or look at you. I never played for a guy in my life who guys wanted to play for less. He was just a guy you didn’t care about.”

Full article here, https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...re-josh-mcdaniels-why/1034425001/#/questions/

Doyle gonna Doyle.

Edit: ROFL. Doyle's mad we didn't go after Nick Saban. Which makes his critisisms of McD's Denver tenure even more hilarious.

Doyle gonna Doyle.

He's not wrong though. Josh has a lot of proving to do as a HC. Denver was a disaster. Donks fans HATE him with a passion. There has been talk on the MANE about hiring him and the vitriol is fierce. I would think he has learned a lot from those experiences and will do better the second time around but I can understand the apprehension.

He's not wrong though. Josh has a lot of proving to do as a HC. Denver was a disaster. Donks fans HATE him with a passion. There has been talk on the MANE about hiring him and the vitriol is fierce. I would think he has learned a lot from those experiences and will do better the second time around but I can understand the apprehension.

I can also understand the apprehension, but that isn't why he wrote this article. This article was gonna get written regardless of who they picked because that's the niche Doyle is trying to carve out for himself. The asshole contrarian who just "tells it like it is!". He doesn't want to shit on the team, he really doesn't. But his sense of journalists ethics just force him to be critical and if we disagree were just being homers.

:rolleyes:

I am not a fan of Doyle, but he does speak his mind and feels the need to be the devils advocate a lot of times.

With this said, i kind of echo his comments, be interesting to see how McD does in Indy.

Not sure how strong of a personality Luck is, seems to me that he keeps making rookie mistakes in year 5, so be interesting to see how he takes McD's coaching.

McD may have learned from his first go around in Denver, but time will tell.

I can also understand the apprehension, but that isn't why he wrote this article. This article was gonna get written regardless of who they picked because that's the niche Doyle is trying to carve out for himself. The asshole contrarian who just "tells it like it is!". He doesn't want to shit on the team, he really doesn't. But his sense of journalists ethics just force him to be critical and if we disagree were just being homers.

Sounds like he'd fit in nicely in Boston.

Doyle is pissed he is losing all his inside sources and knows Josh will try to keep the leaks to a minimum, unlike the past regime.

Doyle is pissed he is losing all his inside sources and knows Josh will try to keep the leaks to a minimum, unlike the past regime.

Nailed it. Doyle gonna get blackballed!

Doyle's real anger stems from the fact he works in a garbage city covering bad sports teams. If he could write, he'd be in Boston, NY, Philly or Chicago.

Aside from the "garbage city" part, I actually agree with this. He wants to be in a major market and is doing a shitty impression of the asshole east coast troglodyte he so desperately wants to be.

Why he thinks that will play in a Midwestern city is anyone's guess.

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

Nailed it. Doyle gonna get blackballed!

Good. If McD is our new HC, I don't want him doing the Belichick impression...

Except when it comes to Greg Doyle.

Doyle's real anger stems from the fact he works in a garbage city covering bad sports teams. If he could write, he'd be in Boston, NY, Philly or Chicago.

It's funny you think Indy is a garbage city, but then you put Philly on your list.

Philly is the worst city I have ever visited. The people completely suck.

I don't know about you, but I like it here.

:shrug_n:

It's improving. Downtown is a ton of fun now. People here are typically good to hang out with, unless they want to lose their mind over the Pats.

I just hate the weather. I probably need to live in a place where winter means the high is only 60.

It's funny you think Indy is a garbage city, but then you put Philly on your list.

Philly is the worst city I have ever visited. The people completely suck.

NJ is probably the worst. But you have to forgive us Bostonians. You are all trash to us. :D

Now I pray this thread does not devolve into a discussion of corn ... :spock:

It's improving. Downtown is a ton of fun now. People here are typically good to hang out with, unless they want to lose their mind over the Pats.

I just hate the weather. I probably need to live in a place where winter means the high is only 60.
Yeah I'm kinda over single digits temperatures.

Back