Interesting BB interview

PatsFanLisa

No filter
Reaction score
At least I thought it was. This was from a couple of days ago. A couple of little comments that he slid in there caught my attention. The first was his little dig at The Herald. The second comment, later on in the video, was his acknowledgement of the Greatest Quarterback of All Time in actual words.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3mHbP7MQApQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great find, Lisa!
I liked his mention of Ebner going to the Olympics. He made a proud mention of having Olympic Wrestler Stephen Neal being a Patriot and now having a second Patriot going as a rugby player. When I first heard the news of Ebner going, I wondered how hard it was to get the team's permission. After hearing this, I'm sure it was a pretty easy sell, especially with Belichick.

Nice shout out to the Boston fans on behalf of all the pro Teams. We know Bill is a big supporter of the other Boston teams and their coaches.

I'm always fascinated by the two sides of BB, the side that deals with the media and is how he's generally perceived. Then the side displayed here where's he's personable, talkative and interesting.

I'm always fascinated by the two sides of BB, the side that deals with the media and is how he's generally perceived. Then the side displayed here where's he's personable, talkative and interesting.

Had same thought. Proves that what he does with most of the media is intentional and not that he has some social defect, as most others contend.

Bill was great. The interviewer? Not so much. :coffee:

Also a possible hint of more 3-4 with Potroast in the fold and his reference back to acquiring Ted Washington.

Cheers

I believe it is significant that he called Brady the greatest of all time. Bill is not one to just dole out accolades for any player even his own. Given his history of the game and all the QBs he has seen play, coached and coached against, this is a pretty noteworthy statement and has to make Brady feel unbelievable.

Great stuff from BB but what about that audience? That woman sitting behind BB (while he was in front of the logo sign) - she was on her phone the whole freaking time.

Lackluster applause for the sales force VIP's and BB.

Not impressed with this crowd whatsoever.

Great stuff from BB but what about that audience? That woman sitting behind BB (while he was in front of the logo sign) - she was on her phone the whole freaking time.

Lackluster applause for the sales force VIP's and BB.

Not impressed with this crowd whatsoever.

If you've ever been trapped in one of those corporate rah-rah meetings, you'd understand. The BB appearance was probably the highlight of the entire event and that was at the beginning.

I detest corporate meetings and if I don't have an option to dial in remotely, I won't go at all.

That woman sitting behind BB (while he was in front of the logo sign) - she was on her phone the whole freaking time.

Cell phone lady: Well Honey, I said I'd text you from the Business Convention.

Husband: mm, huh.

CPL: I'm bored out of my mind by some guy yakking on and on about football.

H: k dear.

CPL: why can't they ever get someone good, like Taylor Swift or Oprah?

H: not sure, dear.

CPL: last year was a football guy, too, but at least he was cute. Think it was Tom Brady.

H: whatever you say dear.

CPL:heard this guy is that guy's coach. I mean c'mon, can't they at least get another sport, or at least someone cute, like Gronkowski.

H: WTF!!! You got Bill Belichick there??? You gotta get videos! You got front row seats, didn't you?

CPL: Look, I'll take one picture of him, but Iam not deleting any of my cat videos just to film this jerk go on and on about 3-4's and 4-3's.

Cell phone lady: Well Honey, I said I'd text you from the Business Convention.

Husband: mm, huh.

CPL: I'm bored out of my mind by some guy yakking on and on about football.

H: k dear.

CPL: why can't they ever get someone good, like Taylor Swift or Oprah?

H: not sure, dear.

CPL: last year was a football guy, too, but at least he was cute. Think it was Tom Brady.

H: whatever you say dear.

CPL:heard this guy is that guy's coach. I mean c'mon, can't they at least get another sport, or at least someone cute, like Gronkowski.

H: WTF!!! You got Bill Belichick there??? You gotta get videos! You got front row seats, didn't you?

CPL: Look, I'll take one picture of him, but Iam not deleting any of my cat videos just to film this jerk go on and on about 3-4's and 4-3's.

:clap: I stood up. It's a standing O and a +1.

Cheers, BostonTim

“If you like football, and you like to come in and work on football, then the New England Patriots is a great place to be,” BB said. “If you don’t, if it’s a job, if you’d rather be doing something else, honestly you’d be better off with another team.”

:toast:

“[Everyone] paying homage to him. You know, the greatest quarterback of all time. He’s been just a tremendous leader and tremendous player for our organization.”

I thought it was pretty interesting as well.

Both for the content and mainly for the unusual candor, particularly in front of non-football types.

I assume that Bill got a nice appearance fee for his few minutes time, but I wondered if that candor might be a signal that Bill has decided that he is going to open up a bit more when he can and in situations where he feels comfortable doing so.

My take is, if it is true, that Bill is doing this solely to alleviate some of the heat on the organization and his players due to the immense dislike Bill engenders among a good portion of the media, the league office, the competition committee and all the ships at sea.

I don't think the hate bothers him a bit, but I do think he may be attempting to soften his approach, although he is certainly free to go into full Iron Curtain mode at any time.

The Glasnost of Bill isn't going to happen overnight, but I look forward to a day when Bill decides to charm the pants off the media without really giving them a damn thing they or the opposition can exploit.

For those that would argue that last year was no different than the status quo, I'd suggest that he at least seemed to try to play nice at times.

I figure it's something like a fat guy who knows he should eat healthier, but he can't resist cramming a brownie down his throat once in a while.

Both for the content and mainly for the unusual candor, particularly in front of non-football types.

I assume that Bill got a nice appearance fee for his few minutes time, but I wondered if that candor might be a signal that Bill has decided that he is going to open up a bit more when he can and in situations where he feels comfortable doing so.

My take is, if it is true, that Bill is doing this solely to alleviate some of the heat on the organization and his players due to the immense dislike Bill engenders among a good portion of the media, the league office, the competition committee and all the ships at sea.

I don't think the hate bothers him a bit, but I do think he may be attempting to soften his approach, although he is certainly free to go into full Iron Curtain mode at any time.

The Glasnost of Bill isn't going to happen overnight, but I look forward to a day when Bill decides to charm the pants off the media without really giving them a damn thing they or the opposition can exploit.

For those that would argue that last year was no different than the status quo, I'd suggest that he at least seemed to try to play nice at times.

I figure it's something like a fat guy who knows he should eat healthier, but he can't resist cramming a brownie down his throat once in a while.

Ditka kind of did a similar thing at the end of his career. He endeared himself to the general public and people kind of forgot what a dick he was as a coach.

I don't see that happening to be honest. I think the reason Bill is frosty with the media is its just a distraction for him as it takes him away from coaching and the film room. He's so 100% focussed on the game that these media obligations during game week are just an unwanted distraction where he typically is asked some really stupid questions. The players hate doing them as well. Plus, look how Bill acted at the recent owners meeting, he made it very clear he didn't want to there when he nearly f**ked the microphones on the floor!

If anything, I think Bill is even more p***ed off with the media since DG as he's seen his team pay an unjustified price and saw his QB get disgracefully treated.

An event like this is different, it's a non football interviewer and crowd and it's off season.

Come training camp and next season he'll be back to his usual self. And I love it.

I agree with you. I don't know if it's on purpose with BB or simply a "mellowing" that comes naturally with age. We're also seeing it with Brady and his FB page. When this softened more open approach first became evident I thought it might be a plan to make them more likeable to the general public. This seems to apply to Brady at least, perhaps to counter his whiny public image among Pats haters.

There has been a much more dedicated effort to reform Bill's image going back to last year and the "Do Your Job" special where he gave complete access to Patriots Place and let his coaches speak which he never does. His pressers were also much more amendable with longer answer even if he didn't say anything. Less one word or snort answers. I think it is a smart move by Stacey James and company as Bill's public persona has been awful for a long time. Him not wanting to share anything does not mean he has to come off as a cactus. I think they have finally convinced Bill of this.

With Brady, I think his FB postings are more to posture him post-football for whatever his career will be. I think he realizes that people are very interested his day to day life as an athlete that completely transcends the game. He is the rare athlete that creates the feeling of aspiration in others - everyone wants to be him on and off the field. So create a marketing campaign that shows his everyday life. It is quite brilliant IMO.

Back