• yes

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • noo

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters

patsin??

Vengence Tour '09
Reaction score
Is rap music? I think it is a form of entertainment, but the guys aren't musicians. They are artists though.

Patsin -

You asked the wrong question. Is rap music? Sure. A better question would be whether it's crappy music.

When rap started to become big in the 80's, I thought it was kind of an interesting, different voice of the "street" perspective.

I don't follow it muich, but my opinion is that at this point, it finished saying most of what it had to say about 15 years ago and what I do hear sounds dumbed down and repetetive.

Considering that the roots of most American music is African American music, I find it kind of sad that it's gone from Scott Joplin, Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Muddy Waters, Aretha Franklin, James Brown & Prince to this.

Yes hip hop is certainly music. Like all forms some of the artists are good, some are ok and some suck. I have worked many hip hop shows and enjoyed a good percentage of them.

patsin**:

If you're still on-line:

I made the mistake, a coupla days ago, of continuing to post well after I was so blotto that I couldn't recognize myself. Up for ~30 hours, finished the beer and straight into to the bottle of scotch I had purchased for another as a gift.

I'm guessing feelings were hurt, reasons for embarrassment were many, and the 25 mods had to be on-call in case I tried again.

A word of advise: Call it a night.

Don't try to replace your dad's hooch with Coca-Cola & water: The constituents settle into obvious strata.

:thumb:

harrisonhits on 01-30-2008 at 06:34 PM said:
Yes hip hop is certainly music. Like all forms some of the artists are good, some are ok and some suck. I have worked many hip hop shows and enjoyed a good percentage of them.

This is worded almost perfectly. I hate when people point to a few bad artists and try to put a blanket over a whole genre. I certainly think that hip hop has lost its way, though.

I can't listen to mainstream rap anymore. I feel braincells die after every song I hate comes on. Good thing Lupe Fiasco saved hip hop.

To answer you question:

Yes, absolutely. If you're into music, think about Chuck Berry or Elvis Presley. It's the same argument now as it was then, simply different modes argued by different folks with different perspectives.

The idea is to determine what is good and what is crap. What will stand the test of time? What says something universal now that will make sense in the future?

Relate music to the stock market. The idea is to know what is timeless, yet the pre-cursor of the future.

SkiptoMyLou on 01-30-2008 at 06:41 PM said:
I can't listen to mainstream rap anymore. I feel braincells die after every song I hate comes on. Good thing Lupe Fiasco saved hip hop.

Lupe did not save hip hop. He merely gave it a fresh perspective, but one man cannot save a genre that is oversaturated with mindless, commercial garbage. I wish there were more Lupe Fiascos out there.

TomWaits & you on 01-30-2008 at 06:37 PM said:
patsin**:

If you're still on-line:

I made the mistake, a coupla days ago, of continuing to post well after I was so blotto that I couldn't recognize myself. Up for ~30 hours, finished the beer and straight into to the bottle of scotch I had purchased for another as a gift.

I'm guessing feelings were hurt, reasons for embarrassment were many, and the 25 mods had to be on-call in case I tried again.

A word of advise: Call it a night.

Don't try to replace your dad's hooch with Coca-Cola & water: The constituents settle into obvious strata.

:thumb:

tom dont really know what your talking about, but ok, ill take the advice

i though rap was one of those sandwich thingies no?

MountainWrapT.jpg

Rap is the shizzel that helps me locate my nizzel.......iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

hollla@me.....i should rap my self.

Because most people are force-fed crappy mainstream hip-hop, they are unfortunately under the impression that it is all this genre has to offer.

It absolutely is music. I don't care for country but I respect it to be music. Perhaps rephrasing of the original question might be in order?

At any rate, I urge anyone on the fence with hip hop to explore the stuff you WON'T hear on 94.5 such as:

The Roots
A Tribe Called Quest
KRS-One
Nas (his 90's stuff)
Talib Kweli
Keith Murray

I'm more of an indie rock fan, but rap is certainly a form of music. As a matter of fact, based on record sales, i would say the most successful type of music ever, behind rock and roll. It may sound like noise to us old folks, but it is extremely relevant and important to American culture.

Back