Is the end of Fantasy Football?

Roberto71

Reaction score
Serious blow to DraftKings and the others, the New York AG has declared it as illegal gambling and has issued cease and desist letters to the companies.

New York attorney general Eric Schneiderman declared Tuesday that daily fantasy sports constitutes illegal gambling in his state and sent game operators DraftKings and FanDuel cease-and-desist notices in a significant blow to the embattled billion-dollar industry.

Schneiderman demanded DraftKings and FanDuel, the two industry giants, stop accepting "wagers" from New York residents and discontinue operations in the state.

"Our review concludes that DraftKings'/FanDuel's operations constitute illegal gambling under New York law," Schneiderman wrote in the letter, obtained by ESPN's David Purdum and Darren Rovell, and ABC News.

During their rampant growth, daily fantasy sites have pointed to the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 in regard to their legality and have claimed they offer games of skill. But Schneiderman found that "each DraftKings/FanDuel wager represents a wager on a 'contest of chance' where winning or losing depends on numerous elements of chance to a 'material degree.'"

Using that criteria, Schneiderman reasons that the customers of the two largest daily fantasy sites, which have said they would award more than $3 billion combined in prizes in 2015, "are clearly placing bets on events outside their control of influence, specifically on the real game performance of professional athletes."

The attorney general's office is not looking to get money back from New Yorkers that had won via daily fantasy sites.

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id...eneral-declares-daily-fantasy-sports-gambling

Nothing will kill fantasy football, but maybe this will mean less commercials from these guys eventually.

Sent from my Enigma Device

God I hope so. I loathe it.
Actually, I don't care if people like it and want to do it. To each their own. I care that I have to hear about it so much on actual football shows and people talking about it like it means anything to real football.

Actually, I don't care if people like it and want to do it. To each their own. I care that I have to hear about it so much on actual football shows and people talking about it like it means anything to real football.

Besides the only fantasy you care about is me in your bedroom.:coffee:

So its only illegal in 1 out 50 states . This will be big story when it becomes 20 or more states

I hate ALL fantasy sports, but fantasy football is the absolute worst because of the way it is constantly shoved down our throats (piggy, no comments from the peanut gallery on that). It leads to stupid story lines like the crap NFL posts on FB (I finally unfollowed them because I got tired of them posting highlight plays made in losing efforts). To me, it runs counter intuitive of being a fan, which is rooting for the laundry. Granted, some players transcend that, but the vast majority don't.

I hope this the fist step towards driving a stake through it's fvcking heart. I know that some of you play and enjoy it, and that's cool. This is simply my opinion.

I hate ALL fantasy sports, but fantasy football is the absolute worst because of the way it is constantly shoved down our throats (piggy, no comments from the peanut gallery on that). It leads to stupid story lines like the crap NFL posts on FB (I finally unfollowed them because I got tired of them posting highlight plays made in losing efforts). To me, it runs counter intuitive of being a fan, which is rooting for the laundry. Granted, some players transcend that, but the vast majority don't.

I hope this the fist step towards driving a stake through it's fvcking heart. I know that some of you play and enjoy it, and that's cool. This is simply my opinion.

:toast:

I wonder will this effect the draft kings section at Gillette stadium. Will kraft void the contract.

I wonder will this effect the draft kings section at Gillette stadium. Will kraft void the contract.

Quite possible, especially if some of the bigger states follow NY's lead. I'm sure there's plenty of legal language in the contract to cover just about any situation.

I find myself watching less football shows because I loathe fantasy football talk so, anything that stops the plethora of fantasy football talk on regular football programming, is fine by me.

I can see some enormous lawsuits coming out pretty quickly. I also don't see this holding up. I'm pretty sure I just read that the Mass. AG has determined that it's legal here, but there are some imvestigations going on with regard to what amounts to insider trading, for lack of a better term.

This could last forever, all the way up to the US SJC. It reminds me of the decades-long controversy about what constitutes obscenity, which is pretty impossible to define. This will be the "what constitutes gambling" question that will go on forever. Is online FF the equivalent of an investment, where you can leave your money in their "bank" and reinvest it every week or sell your "commodity" and reinvest the profit into a new one? And by commodity I mean player.

Should get interesting. I think NY may be overreaching here.

I enjoy it for two reasons.

1. I'm good at it and its fun to crush your friends.

2. I now have a reason to give a shit about Rams vs Raiders. It makes watching other games infinitely more interesting.

Also, to the original question, no. There's a big difference between daily fantasy football and traditional fantasy football.

Daily Fantasy is closer to playing the stock market while traditional FF is more like running your own team.

DK has just issued a statement saying they intend to continue in NY.

Send in the lawyers!

Back