is the problem coaching or talent evaluation?

Coaching. Maybe Caldwell is available after the season. We could trade BB and a first for Caldwell.

Talent evaluation.

If BB wasn't such a brilliant coach. BB the talent evaluator would look like Al Davis/Matt Millen-bad. But I understand (and support) why he wants so much say in the evaluation end of things. He doesn't want to deal with someone else's talented headcase. So he just goes with triangle numbers (Al Davis method) + decent attitude=potential Patriot. Level of play in college is of limited importance.

And the reason why most of our OL picks look great is a combination of
Dante's coaching and the nature of the position (least complicted position, relatively speaking, on the field).

Talent evaluation.

If BB wasn't such a brilliant coach. BB the talent evaluator would look like Al Davis/Matt Millen-bad. But I understand (and support) why he wants so much say in the evaluation end of things. He doesn't want to deal with someone else's talented headcase. So he just goes with triangle numbers (Al Davis method) + decent attitude=potential Patriot. Level of play in college is of limited importance.

And the reason why most of our OL picks look great is a combination of
Dante's coaching and the nature of the position (least complicted position, relatively speaking, on the field).

2004-2008 wasn't stellar, but since Bill took over this team, NE has drafted more all pros, pro bowlers, starters and guys still in the league than any other team. #1 across the board.

I'd say that doesn't qualify as "Matt Millen bad".

Unless I missed something, the Pats are 5-1, and have won more games than any team in the NFL over the last decade. I wouldn't say that there is a problem.

Part of the reason that the draft record can look bad at times, is because the draft choices are always competing with proven veterans for roster spots. There is more competition here, than there is on most teams.

The other reason is because Belichick is probably the fastest guy in the league to cut his losses. Many GMs and coaches will force draft choices into starting roles, just to prove that they didn't make a mistake drafting. It doesn't matter if the guy can play or not. Do you think that any other coach in the league would have cut Maroney, Meriweather or Darius Butler? Hell, most teams would still be clinging to Chad Jackson in the hopes that they could turn him into a player. Belichick doesn't care how a player got there. If an undrafted free agent is playing better than a first round draft choice (think Maroney/Green Ellis or Meriweather/Brown) then the undrafted guy will play. On most teams that just wouldn't happen.

Unless I missed something, the Pats are 5-1, and have won more games than any team in the NFL over the last decade. I wouldn't say that there is a problem.

Part of the reason that the draft record can look bad at times, is because the draft choices are always competing with proven veterans for roster spots. There is more competition here, than there is on most teams.

The other reason is because Belichick is probably the fastest guy in the league to cut his losses. Many GMs and coaches will force draft choices into starting roles, just to prove that they didn't make a mistake drafting. It doesn't matter if the guy can play or not. Do you think that any other coach in the league would have cut Maroney, Meriweather or Darius Butler? Hell, most teams would still be clinging to Chad Jackson in the hopes that they could turn him into a player. Belichick doesn't care how a player got there. If an undrafted free agent is playing better than a first round draft choice (think Maroney/Green Ellis or Meriweather/Brown) then the undrafted guy will play. On most teams that just wouldn't happen.

The quintessential example was 2005, when NE signed a RFA from Pitt on the DL and had to give up a 6th round pick to do it. Mike Wright outplayed him so they tossed the other guy to the curb before the season even began.

I agree with both of your last points but that doesn't alter the fact that they were bad draft choices in the first place.

Merriweather made the pro-bowl what twice, I think. Yet he was not what the Pats wanted. It may be how your grading the draft choices too. Plus the game has really changed in the last 4 years. Hard to compare DBs from 2005 to now with different rules. Rodney would be flagged every play for DPI.

What we do lack in our draft picks is a tall DB to use against all the tall WRs we face in the division.

Merriweather made the pro-bowl what twice, I think. Yet he was not what the Pats wanted. It may be how your grading the draft choices too. Plus the game has really changed in the last 4 years. Hard to compare DBs from 2005 to now with different rules. Rodney would be flagged every play for DPI.

What we do lack in our draft picks is a tall DB to use against all the tall WRs we face in the division.

Ras I Dowling ring a bell? I wouldn't blame you if it doesn't, cause I've seen him play almost as much as Vereen.

Ras I Dowling ring a bell? I wouldn't blame you if it doesn't, cause I've seen him play almost as much as Vereen.

False!

I distinctly remember Dowling playing in the San Diego game.

I'm still not convinced that Snuffy Vereen exists.

False!

I distinctly remember Dowling playing in the San Diego game.

I'm still not convinced that Snuffy Vereen exists.

I think I saw a number 34 in the second quarter against the Cowgirls, and possibly watched that number whiff a tackle on special teams. Maybe they didn't cut Sammy Morris after all.

Back