Jarrett Stidham Is Turning Heads

Stidham had a 123.4 QB rating vs the Titans - subs vs subs. Surpassing expectations so far.

Loved Willie Mays. Watching lowlights of his farewell tour was beyond painful.
It should never been allowed to happen, but he chose...
I remember that too, about Willie Mays. Actually, he had some sad stats his last couple of seasons. Although, here are his teammates sticking up for him in '73 (I'll add....if Belichick was Mays' manager/gm, he would have traded him just before he was past his prime!):

"The story of Mays misplaying two balls in center field in the second game of the World Series against the Oakland A’s is always used when the topic is a star athlete who plays too long past his prime. Exhibit B might be Mays’s ultimately harmless stumble on the basepaths in the same game. What is often forgotten is what happened in the 12th inning, when he duped A’s catcher Ray Fosse into calling for a fastball, telling him, “Ray, it’s tough to see the balls with that background. I hope he doesn’t throw me any fastballs.”65 He bounced a Rollie Fingers fastball over the pitcher’s head and into center to drive in the winning run.

"Mays’s last career hit in his next-to-last career at-bat provided the game-winning RBI in a World Series game. In the clubhouse watching the game on TV when Mays came to the plate, Mets pitcher and former Giants teammate Ray Sadecki said, “He has to get a hit. This game was invented for Willie Mays a hundred years ago.”

The Mets lost the Series in seven games. Many of his teammates lauded his impact. Tug McGraw: “I guess I learned as much from Willie Mays as anybody.” Jerry Koosman: “He was still our best player. I begged him not to retire.” Tom Seaver: “Many of the New York writers made him out as a load we had to carry, but, quite the contrary, he helped us carry the load we had all the way down through the season, especially the last month and a half, when we got hot and put it all together.”

From SABR

Stidham made a few rookie mistakes vs the Titans last night but overall I thought he continued his rapid progress. That back shoulder to Patterson was beautiful to watch.

That back shoulder was absolute money. I hope TB12 was taking notes. :coffee:

I agree. He's been waaayyyyy better than we could've expected, especially in terms of his command and ability to hit somebody other than the primary target.

Kyler Murray threw the ball great last week against Oakland in early action, but he was locking on his first read every time and still beat the coverage. Stidham hasn't been guilty of that much, if at all.

If I was going to cherry pick something Stidham needs to improve on, I'd say that his accuracy is really good and he throws a "catchable ball", but sometimes you need to really gun it in there to prevent your WR from getting blown up. I'm not yet sure of his velocity, but every young QB needs to learn to improve his judgement and adjust to NFL DB speed, so it's not like it's a major problem. Hoyer has been throwing late lollipops for his entire career.

Case in point for Stidham was a throw to Izzo who caught the ball and then immediately got stuck hard down by the knees causing a minor hyperextension (what it looked like-- not sure). There have been a few other examples, but overall the kid has been tremendous.

I was wondering why they didn't start him last week to get a better read on him. I mean we kinda know what Hoyer is. If we are going to sit the starters, not sure why not throw him out there against a few 1's.

I was wondering why they didn't start him last week to get a better read on him. I mean we kinda know what Hoyer is. If we are going to sit the starters, not sure why not throw him out there against a few 1's.

Yeah, I'd like to see Stidham playing with the 1s against 1s, too.

But in this instance, both QBs needed reps for a fair apples to apples comparison &, imo, Hoyer was used to set the bar for Stidham. Settle him down, show him the way, give him confidence. "If Hoyer can do it...". Cutting Hoyer would be hard on a number of levels. He's experienced, knows the O and he's good friends with Brady. But he's also limited, older & wouldn't help us win if Brady goes down. BB has to be thinking of the poss of cutting Hoyer.

Personally I'd rather keep Hoyer. I know people want the roster spot for another guy, but I feel pretty good that if Bill really wants a player he'll find a way to keep him somehow. IR, PS, whatever. Yeah, another team can claim PS guys at any time, but BB is pretty smart with the timing and knowing when to stash guys and whether he can expect another team to swoop in and claim a guy.

If Brady gets hurt and misses 3 games, the season isn't lost and I don't want the team turned over to a guy we've only seen for parts of two games that don't count.

Personally I'd rather keep Hoyer. I know people want the roster spot for another guy, but I feel pretty good that if Bill really wants a player he'll find a way to keep him somehow. IR, PS, whatever. Yeah, another team can claim PS guys at any time, but BB is pretty smart with the timing and knowing when to stash guys and whether he can expect another team to swoop in and claim a guy.

If Brady gets hurt and misses 3 games, the season isn't lost and I don't want the team turned over to a guy we've only seen for parts of two games that don't count.

That's true, however a player needs to go through waivers before he can be placed on a PS. I can't see any way that Stidham makes it through waivers.

This is it folks. If Tom follows thru and bangs a thumb on a helmet, or rolls an ankle, or has any other common QB injury we need someone capable of handling a 1-5 game run and keep a SB contender afloat.

As much as I like Stidham and how much he has impressed I’m not sure he’s there yet, nor should he be.

For example, against 1s he threw 2 pick 6 balls vs Titans. Changes the whole dynamic of how we’re feeling right now.

Make Hoyer a coach and keep him around that way.

Please put the crack pipe down.
he can run practice reps, stay in shape and be Brady's vet ear in the meeting room. and be activated if tom is out. a FU to Googell keeping him on the team in case they have to break glass in an emergency.

do you think anyone would sign him if he was free?

seriously does anyone thing 3 games of Hoyer is better than three with a rookie? Hoyer i anything but a lock to win games

he can run practice reps, stay in shape and be Brady's vet ear in the meeting room.

do you think anyone would sign him if he was free?

The point is not turning the team over to Stidham before we know he's capable of winning games in a short window if needed.

seriously does anyone thing 3 games of Hoyer is better than three with a rookie? Hoyer i anything but a lock to win games

Yes, until we see more of Stidham other than parts of two preseason games against non-starters.

The point is not turning the team over to Stidham before we know he's capable of winning games in a short window if needed.
and Hoyer is?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Yes, until we see more of Stidham other than parts of two preseason games against non-starters.
the point is Hoyer is not a lock to win, hell what has he done recently to make you think he could be a 50% chance to win. The guy is a career back-up and I say here because Tom needs an old man to talk to in meetings - make him asst QB coach and he maintains that role.

EDIT** the point is wee are fucked if tom goes down for a period of time no matter which one is the back-up

and Hoyer is?

Hoyer has experience in the League and has won games. He's capable of winning a small number of games in a pinch with this roster and these coaches.

The assumption that Stidham is as capable, or more capable, than Hoyer of doing that if needed, assumes things not in evidence.

We haven't seen enough of him yet and he has zero experience. He has ZERO time playing with starters and against starters.

Stop straw-manning the argument by talking about how "nothing's a lock". Nobody claimed that. It's a probability game we're talking about here.

and Hoyer is?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

the point is Hoyer is not a lock to win, hell what has he done recently to make you think he could be a 50% chance to win. The guy is a career back-up and I say here because Tom needs an old man to talk to in meetings - make him asst QB coach and he maintains that role.

EDIT** the point is wee are fucked if tom goes down for a period of time no matter which one is the back-up

Disagree.

With this roster Hoyer could win. Game manager. He’s got great WR targets. Excellent RB corps. And the strength of the team may be the defense.

Plus Bill.

Stidham has a much higher ceiling. But Hoyer is the now choice.

This is it folks. If Tom follows thru and bangs a thumb on a helmet, or rolls an ankle, or has any other common QB injury we need someone capable of handling a 1-5 game run and keep a SB contender afloat.

As much as I like Stidham and how much he has impressed I’m not sure he’s there yet, nor should he be.

For example, against 1s he threw 2 pick 6 balls vs Titans. Changes the whole dynamic of how we’re feeling right now.

This theory probably sums up the feelings of a lot of people. Hoyer is smart and can run the offense and Stidham is the big unknown.

Bill and I (see what I did there) usually like the vets who do what they're told in lieu of the bigger upside, inexperienced guy, but the problem is that Hoyer is so bad at actually throwing a football, late and slow every other time, that he tilts the field the other way every time he comes in. Any idiot can hand off but there needs to be a credible, plausible threat that No. 2 cannot provide no matter how slick he looked against the Lions' Klown Patrol secondary.

Stidham might be erratic, throw a couple of picks, but I'd bet that he'd get more respect right now than Hoyer has managed to earn in a decade.

Hoyer is a great bench guy. He's Tom's buddy, confidante and perfect sidekick. He is good in interviews and always says the right thing......but he is one SHITTY QB with a noodle for an arm. You pray that he never sees the field, because you know what is going to happen. 3 and outs. Guys hanging their heads in embarassment for him.

At least Stidham has a pretty good chance of NOT being shitty. He can get smarter, but Hoyer will never be able to throw any better than he does.

I'm hoping the excellent Jake Bailey/Ryan Allen decision means that Bill is taking some chances on greatness and willing to live with some growing pains, which I applaud.

I think the time has come when Hoyer, sadly, has to go.

And I'll be glad to drive him to the airport. Seldom has a guy had such a long career with such a short amount of talent.

Back