Jason Taylor demands trade, will not attend Fiends camp

TrueBeliever

Hater hater
Reaction score
The story makes it sound like this is old news, but what the hey...

Sparano: Taylor not attending training camp

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano just dropped something of a bombshell although we preall saw coming.

"What I know and I'm glad we know this," Sparano said. "We gotten the information and that's important. I know that Jason is not going to be at any OTAs [Organized Team Activities]. I know that Jason is not going to be at any minicamps. And I know right now Jason is not going to be at training camp.

"Jason is a player under contract with the Miami Dolphins. He knows that. Both parties are well aware of the information. That's all I'm going to say about it. I'm going to talk about our players now."

And that's all he said.

Taylor, through his agent, has requested a trade on several occasions. And the agent, Gary Wichard, has told the Dolphins that Taylor will not report for training camp unless he is traded ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS.

Although Sparano portrayed this like it's somehow new information it really is not.

Taylor's thinking is simple: He wants to play for a winner and he doesn't think the Dolphins are that team. The Dolphins, Taylor believes, are in a rebuilding mode and that doesn't fit his agenda, which at 33 years old, is to win a championship.

So Taylor ain't showing. He wants out. And he wants out now. He wants to play football, just not for the Dolphins. This is the proverbial tip of the iceberg, people.

As I've been stating to a chorus of accusations that I sensationalize, the situation promises to get very ugly. Uglier than it already is.

If Taylor isn't traded before the season in September, don't be surprised if he threatens to retire.

The Dolphins, meanwhile, can't really do anything about this matter right now other than continue efforts to trade him. So far Taylor has missed only voluntary workouts. Starting with the June 6-8 mandatory minicamp, Taylor becomes subject to team fines.

And the team will fine Taylor for every day he misses in training camp and grow angrier that such a distraction is threatening to overshadow the building of a team. And knowing the antagonists involved, don't be surprised if it gets personal when folks become frustrated enough to start speaking on the issue publicly.

What was once a win-win situation is now looking like a lose-lose.

If the Dolphins had done the logical thing and traded Taylor for a draft pick or picks around draft time, they would have added ammunition for building their team. Taylor, meanwhile, would have been happy to thank the team for 11 wonderful seasons and gone onto trying to win a championship for himself and new team. Win-win.

But the Dolphins put a ridiculous asking price on Taylor (a first round pick) that no one was willing to pay. So of course, no one made a trade offer. So Taylor is still on the team, but he is about to conduct a holdout while the team has a soap opera on its hands. Lose-lose.

I just posted this in AA. I can't wait for D22 to reply with "Brady's gay". :LOL:

Last year I would have thought he'd be a good fit. I'm not so sure anymore. He'd have to play one of the linebacker spots but I don't see a good fit because of our current staff and I doubt he'd sign on as anything less than a starter. He'd have to replace someone and I'm not sure if he could play inside linebacker. Otherwise, he's a beast if used properly.

Last year I would have thought he'd be a good fit. I'm not so sure anymore. He'd have to play one of the linebacker spots but I don't see a good fit because of our current staff and I doubt he'd sign on as anything less than a starter. He'd have to replace someone and I'm not sure if he could play inside linebacker. Otherwise, he's a beast if used properly.

Yeah you made some good points.
Where ever he ends up he will be a beast still, he is far from done

The best places I think he could end up would be Chargers or Dallas since they don't play a gap control 3 - 4. It would be a good pickup for Indy if Freeny's having problems. Green Bay might be good too. He's too light for a down lineman in our 2 gap defense and probably too light for OLB.

Being as he's a local guy, I'd like to see him come home to Pittsburgh. But I don't know where we'd put him that we don't already have a younger guy at the position who is just as good. Maybe we could give him Brett Keisel's spot and let the Diesel go back to his backup role? :shrug:

The best places I think he could end up would be Chargers or Dallas since they don't play a gap control 3 - 4. It would be a good pickup for Indy if Freeny's having problems. Green Bay might be good too. He's too light for a down lineman in our 2 gap defense and probably too light for OLB.

He would fit in well with the Chargers, oh please don't pick him up SD :)

Being as he's a local guy, I'd like to see him come home to Pittsburgh. But I don't know where we'd put him that we don't already have a younger guy at the position who is just as good. Maybe we could give him Brett Keisel's spot and let the Diesel go back to his backup role? :shrug:

Yeah, the Steelers system might be a good fit too but I doubt you want to put him at DE. He's only about 230 pounds. You'd be giving up 50 pounds to Keisel.

I dunno, I think they could find spots for him. Some time at DE, some time at OLB, some time at ILB... :shrug: When you have talent, you find spots for it.

At DL, we have Warren, Wilfork, and Seymour, with Jarvis Green and Mike Wright the first guys off the bench (and LeKevin Smith and Santonio Thomas behind them).

At LB, we have Vrabel, Bruschi, and AT. Victor Hobson is currently listed as the other starting ILB. Backups include Pierre Woods, Eric Alexander, Izzo (who never plays), and rookies Mayo, Ruud, and Crable.

I know, I know... they'll never move to the 4-3. We say it every year. But if they WERE going to play MORE 4-3, this would be the year to do it, with no bona-fide starter opposite Bruschi (and Bruschi's almost out of gas himself). Yeah, the rookies might be great... or they might not.

Back on the DL... In a 4-3, there'd be a starting spot for Jason Taylor, but in the 3-4 I'm not sure he'd even be the first backup on the field (that would probably go to Jarvis Green). Can Jason Taylor play any LB? Not as good as he plays DE... but would he be better than Hobson? Vrabel does decently at ILB as well, and AT could too; I'd feel better about a linebacker lineup of Vrabel, Bruschi, AT, and Jason Taylor than I would Vrabel, Bruschi, Hobson, and AT.... :shrug:

It all depends on how much Jason Taylor wants, and how much he wants to start.

Yeah, he loves him. I'm just having trouble figuring out where he could play as a full timer this year.

An outside backer rotation of Vrabel, AD and Taylor would be outstanding (and would free up AD to move around and play some ILB on occation).

Taylor won the defensive player of the year award playing OLB in a 3/4 defense. He would not play DE in the 3/4 but would play DE in the Pats' 4/3 and 40 nickle/dime sets and would be a terror rushing the passer like he always is. If Parcells traded him here we wouldn't be able to pry the smiles off of BB, Taylor and Brady's faces all year.

I just don't see it happening unfortunately. Too high a price and both sides are becoming entrenched down there. Parcells is using Taylor to send his usual messages but Taylor's no fool and has been around long enough to see through Parcells' headgames and is in the position to tell Parcells to shove it up his ass if he wants to. Lets hope the disfunction blossoms.

It would be nice to sign him then he could disclose how they cheated and stole Brady's audibles to win that game :coffee:

Back