Julio Jones

Well illustrated. That about sums it up.

The last time I checked, football was a team game that required a comprehensive organizational effort to win and has never been about
crediting solely or blaming solely a team's overall record on one player whether he is a QB or a long snapper. His career record is actually
the team's record. It's a specious stat that was used to "win" an argument, but like many statistics falls short of an accurate picture of one man's
performance.

Carolina has been a very up and down team over the Newton era and that should not all be placed on his broad shoulder pads and funny hats.

We've put Cam in the driver's seat again, have shown him great patience and provided him with a much more talented group of teammates to go
along with a mature, diverse system in which he could flourish. All the ingredients are in place, but what will happen between the sidelines in 2021 is a complete
unknown. I think Newton is, first and foremost, a highly competitive person who understands fully that the stage is set and the spotlights will be trained
squarely on him and the rest of it will be a fascinating roll of the dice.

While I'm a total believer in Mac Jones, I'd be perfectly content to see him percolate on the bench and see Cam Newton shut the critics up. I really want to see
him turn things around and have the kind of success on the field that his outstanding leadership during a tumultuous 2020 season truly deserves. That is not
the only scenario we may see in the coming season, but it is perhaps the best one for this team.

Well said.

Wait...are you saying Middy is also Mazz?
No, no no.

Sorry.

I was posting with Mazz about the likelihood of Newton improving and I red a Middy post (yeah, I know, why?) but I thought it was hers. It was full of typical Middie crap and I recogized my error just y the style of the post.

Sorry, Mazz, I heartily apologize for anyone thinking I meant that you were Middy [shudders]

You're changing the rules to fit your needs. I disagree.
As someone who scours websites for stats and such, I think you know very well that when doing stats to compare QBs, you try to compare players with similar careers. QBs with 100 starts or more are generally compared to each other as to take a QB with under 50 starts like Mayfield for example is not fair to either Mayfield or Newton.

If y’all are happy about spending a 2nd round pick for less than a seasons worth of games from Julio than be my guest. He’s not a number one anymore, and yes moving to a worse QB, and worse cold weather passing conditions, and a run first offense will affect things.

I’ll be here to say I told you so.

I’ll say this a second for Julio whatever his state beats giving a second for Sanu. There’s rookie coaches out there would have been fired for that awful deal.

In BB we trust right????
The last time Julio Jones had any significant injury prior to last year is 2013. Your 'made of glass' argument is complete and utter nonsense.

but let's assume everything you say is true, every blessed word.

He's still the best WR on the Patriots roster, even under those conditions. You don't have to restructure a single penny from a single contract to get him. And all you do is shit on Belichick's draft picks anyway, so what does it matter if they give up a 2nd and a 3rd, or even a 1st and a 3rd?

The trade is made with a June 2 designation but the trade can be done anytime and announced publicly anytime. It can also already be in the NFL's hands anytime but it won't show up on the transaction wire until the designation date.

Interesting the Falcons don't say they like or dislike the offer made. Better offers could include a player and/or no contingencies and/or conditions.
Just bc it's a 1st doesn't mean it's better than other offers.
The closer it gets to the start of the regular season, the Falcons' leverage will be gone.
They can't afford to keep him. Also, Jones wants out.
Thing is, I'd trade a first or a first and a kicker-pick for him. I'm just not sure it will necessarily cost that much. If Belichick holds a 2nd and 3rd out there, I don't know if any other team is going to outbid that, especially considering the Patriots are the only team that doesn't have to mess with contracts to fit him under the cap.

The closer it gets to the start of the regular season, the Falcons' leverage will be gone.
They can't afford to keep him. Also, Jones wants out.
Thing is, I'd trade a first or a first and a kicker-pick for him. I'm just not sure it will necessarily cost that much. If Belichick holds a 2nd and 3rd out there, I don't know if any other team is going to outbid that, especially considering the Patriots are the only team that doesn't have to mess with contracts to fit him under the cap.

Hey, Tommy! Welcome back!
seth rollins hello GIF by WWE

The last time Julio Jones had any significant injury prior to last year is 2013. Your 'made of glass' argument is complete and utter nonsense.

He's still the best WR on the Patriots roster, even under those conditions. You don't have to restructure a single penny from a single contract to get him. And all you do is shit on Belichick's draft picks anyway, so what does it matter if they give up a 2nd and a 3rd, or even a 1st and a 3rd?

He's a top 5 WR in the league if he's healthy.

The good/great QBs get 10 wins a season on average and a post-season birth.
Again, what Hawg pointed out is QBs don't get 10 wins on average, the teams they are on get them. There is a whole equal section across the line that the QB has absolutely no say in during game time, the defense and also STs. And on offense, the QB is doing shit without first and foremost the big guys up front blocking, then the RB being a threat, the WRs and TEs getting open and so on.

Again, what Hawg pointed out is QBs don't get 10 wins on average, the teams they are on get them. There is a whole equal section across the line that the QB has absolutely no say in during game time, the defense and also STs. And on offense, the QB is doing shit without first and foremost the big guys up front blocking, then the RB being a threat, the WRs and TEs getting open and so on.
The QB has the most effect on the outcome of the game. That is why they carry the W-L record and no other player does. A franchise QB is worth 10 wins every season barring injury and a complete dumpster fire of a roster. That is why they are so valuable and why we are hoping beyond hope that Jones turns out to be a franchise QB. They cover the other deficiencies on the roster.

As someone who scours websites for stats and such, I think you know very well that when doing stats to compare QBs, you try to compare players with similar careers. QBs with 100 starts or more are generally compared to each other as to take a QB with under 50 starts like Mayfield for example is not fair to either Mayfield or Newton.

Doesn't matter. Facts is facts. The guys you eliminated stay in until their % W/L is better than Cam's. 3 of them may not ever get there.

I am not a huge believer in W/L defining a QB either but your list is not fair to the context of the discussion. It is best to only include QBs with 100 starts or more as Cam has been in the league ten years. That would eliminate Murray, Watson, Jones, Darnold and Mayfield.

So that leaves a list of:
Stafford
Tanny
Dalton
Wentz
Cousins
Carr

This list is pretty much where Newton belongs. He is not a guy that has ever been able to elevate his team except for 2015 when he won MVP. But that season is a complete outlier. In 10 seasons as a starter, he has only 3 winning seasons. That is pretty much the theme of all of these "losing" QBs. It's not just the W/L record, it's the number of losing seasons. The good/great QBs get 10 wins a season on average and a post-season birth. That is what separates them from the pack of mediocre QBs that are good enough to be starters but don't elevate those around them enough to get their teams to the post-season regularly. That has been Cam his entire career before he had his devastating shoulder injury. Now he is a QB whose mechanics are all out of whack because he had to change his throwing motion to compensate on top of a severe foot injury that could still bother him this year like it did last year.

What is tough about Cam is it is clear that his teammates love him, he has natural leadership and charm. He works very hard. To me, these qualities are paramount as they really can't be taught. Either a player has them innately or they don't. That being said, you still have to be able to physically play the position and Cam just can't do it anymore. Even at his best, he was always an average to below average passer.

Oops, your bad again.
You forgot to add these I guys I listed who have won a SB who also have worse W/L% than Cam.
Trent Dilfer
Jim Plunkett
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Brad Johnson
Joe Namath
Eli Manning

Doesn't matter. Facts is facts. The guys you eliminated stay in until their % W/L is better than Cam's. 3 of them may not ever get there.

Oops, your bad again.
You forgot to add these I guys I listed who have won a SB who also have worse W/L% than Cam.
Trent Dilfer
Jim Plunkett
Doug Williams
Jeff Hostetler
Brad Johnson
Joe Namath
Eli Manning
The guys with under 100 starts could all win SBs in the next 5 years or be out of the league. That's why you compare QBs with 100 starts to other QBs with 100 starts. The data is comparable. This is like stats 101.

It was your list. I was just going with the QBs you listed. You can add whoever you want. It still does not change that fact that Newtons has 3 winning seasons out of 10 and has awful mechanics due to his shoulder surgery. He is what he is. A washed QB that Bill is hanging on to because he is cheap.

Don't waste your breath. I've been down that road and debunked every pot hole.
He, Mazz and Middy (Inspector 50 now) don't see anyone's side but their own.

The guys with under 100 starts could all win SBs in the next 5 years or be out of the league. That's why you compare QBs with 100 starts to other QBs with 100 starts. The data is comparable. This is like stats 101.

It was your list. I was just going with the QBs you listed. You can add whoever you want. It still does not change that fact that Newtons has 3 winning seasons out of 10 and has awful mechanics due to his shoulder surgery. He is what he is. A washed QB that Bill is hanging on to because he is cheap.

Go back to the original post. I added no one. The only change was that you subtracted some.
Think what you want to think but don't keep spewing your negativity on the rest of us who have hope Cam will improve and have good reason to believe he will

Sometimes it's better to remain silent...

Go back to the original post. I added no one. The only change was that you subtracted some.
Think what you want to think but don't keep spewing your negativity on the rest of us who have hope Cam will improve and have good reason to believe he will

Sometimes it's better to remain silent...
Um, no. This is a forum and ALL opinions are allowed to be shared whether YOU agree with them or not. The whole point of a forum is so all thoughts and opinions can be shared without censorship. If it bothers you because you want to be Mr. Positive all the time then just stop responding. It is not anyone's right to tell people to not post their opinions or be silent.

Um, no. This is a forum and ALL opinions are allowed to be shared whether YOU agree with them or not. The whole point of a forum is so all thoughts and opinions can be shared without censorship. If it bothers you because you want to be Mr. Positive all the time then just stop responding. It is not anyone's right to tell people to not post their opinions or be silent.

You're right. But when it gets on the edge, that's when a normal person's sense of propriety steps in to back off the accelerator.

Forums are for discussions for sure, but it's tiresome to deal with someone that twists and turns words and stats to fit their agenda. When proven otherwise it changes to it being just a matter of opinion and whatnot. Agreeing to disagree is part of the discussion, but understanding points shown and seeing them instead of blindly spouting the same stuff over and over gets old. You can't just sit there and say what you think is right when a counter point is very clear that dismisses your original point. It's just going in circles trying to get the other person to understand. That isn't the function of a forum.

Forums are for discussions for sure, but it's tiresome to deal with someone that twists and turns words and stats to fit their agenda. When proven otherwise it changes to it being just a matter of opinion and whatnot. Agreeing to disagree is part of the discussion, but understanding points shown and seeing them instead of blindly spouting the same stuff over and over gets old. You can't just sit there and say what you think is right when a counter point is very clear that dismisses your original point. It's just going in circles trying to get the other person to understand. That isn't the function of a forum.
Is this the only forum you belong to? I only ask because I am on quite a few forums and this is exactly how they work. People have strong opinions and don't easily back off of them. I could just as easily accuse the other side of not seeing what I believe to very effective counter points to my position. But quite typically people are dug in. That being said, I actually did change my opinion on this trade but no one seemed to notice because they probably did not want to. I was against this trade a few days ago when this thread was first created and then I came around to not minding the trade after reading a lot of the posts saying why it would be good. So, I did in fact change my opinion based on the other side's posts.

Back