Julio Jones

Of course. Better or worse...players don't usually stay the same, they get better or worse, like most of the rest of us. Sometimes they have a breakout season and sometimes the wheels surprise everyone and just fall off.

I didn't know BB was trying to trade Brady??? or what Bill taking a QB in the first round has to do with Cam getting better or regressing. What year was this that BB should have taken a QB?

The Rams are making a strong play for Julio late in the 4th qtr.

I wonder what they're trying to offer as they're thin as far as valuable draft picks go.
One thing they automatically offer is an obscenely opulent stadium, great weather, the film and TV industry and all the new-age beautiful people.

Of course, we have a Bowling Alley, a Five Guys Burger joint and a Trader Joes just outside the stadium so maybe I'm worrying about nothing.

This reminds me of a story from the Patriots vaults, that I'd like to recall here for no particular reason.

Way back in the days (71) when we were totally helpless, we traded a first, second and sixth for a guy named Fred Dreyer, who was a flashy, young DE for the Giants.

Unfortunately, Dreyer wanted a huge contract and the Pats wouldn't or couldn't give it to him, so he held out of Training Camp while living in a trailer outside of where the
Pats worked out. Fred was a California "free-spirit"(read: pothead) with long hair and he was never stuck for a sentence, so the media would hang around his trailer and afterwards lobby
on Dreyer's behalf to help him tunnel out of Foxboro while he provided juicy quotes on everything, including his unflattering views of the Patriots organization and some snarky digs
at Foxboro. I mean, he was quite a prick about it, but turned out to be pretty much correct about everything.

Finally, his wish came true and we sent him to the LA Rams for a 1st round pick who turned out to be Sam Cunningham (USC) . On a semi-relevant note, Dreyer played College ball with Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed in Rocky) and became the TV detective known as Hunter when his NFL days were over. It was one of those rare dust-ups where things eventually worked out great for everybody.

What will they offer? A 2023 draft pick?

All they have for high picks is 2023 and beyond. 2 firsts has been proposed. The Rams don't like high draft picks anymore than the 9ers. It must be California sunshine.

Name one who has been better over the last 50 years.
Sigh....... I know I’m repeating myself, and I really try not to bring up Tom, but I’m responding here.
Plenty could have done what Bill did if they had the GOAT.
It didn’t take Arians very long to prove that.
When Bill proves he can win a division title without Tom I’ll come around, but it hasn’t happened yet. Lol but I guess technically Tom hasn’t proved he can win one without BB.

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m just expressing the opinion I have of my favorite team. I like a lot of the moves this offseason. I it’s the best draft the Pats have had in years. I like the defensive additions a lot. A whole lot. I like Agalor. I’m not as high on the Tight Ends as many here, but I don’t think they are bad by any means. I think Mac Jones can develop into a decent starting QB whose going to last in the league. A guy in the same league as Cousins or Andy Dalton. I mean that as a complement. Its going to be a fun team to watch but I don’t see a path to winning the division. You’ve got to be able to score no matter how great the defense is. The rules have changed since 04.

Now hearing the Pats may bow out of the Julio sweepstakes leaving the Titans and Rams to duke it out.

Sigh....... I know I’m repeating myself, and I really try not to bring up Tom, but I’m responding here.
When Bill proves he can win a division title without Tom I’ll come around, but it hasn’t happened yet. Lol but I guess technically Tom hasn’t proved he can win one without BB.

I’m not trying to be negative. I’m just expressing the opinion I have of my favorite team. I like a lot of the moves this offseason. I it’s the best draft the Pats have had in years. I like the defensive additions a lot. A whole lot. I like Agalor. I’m not as high on the Tight Ends as many here, but I don’t think they are bad by any means. I think Mac Jones can develop into a decent starting QB whose going to last in the league. A guy in the same league as Cousins or Andy Dalton. I mean that as a complement. Its going to be a fun team to watch but I don’t see a path to winning the division. You’ve got to be able to score no matter how great the defense is. The rules have changed since 04.
They went 11-5 with Matt Cassel ffs.

Super Bowls 2001, 2003, 2004 say hello!

I don't think there is any question that Bill is the greatest defensive coach of all time. He and Brady were the perfect tandem in that regard because Bill could concentrate on the D as he did so many times coaching them up on the sideline while Brady and whichever OC we had ran the offense. It was the perfect complement and led to our historic run over 20 years.

Last year was eye opening in a lot of respects. Not only what Brady was able to do in Tampa, helping to transform them into champions in year one but more importantly, what happened here. Our offense took a drastic nose dive and it was not just the ineptitude of Cam (he was a large part) but the offense overall from a game planning standpoint. The offense actually got worse not better as the year went along. Defenses figured us out and there was no response. Here's how Belichick's offenses finished in 8 seasons without Brady - 16th, 20th, 15th, 11th, 25th, 25th, 8th, 28th.

To your point, Bill is a sub .500 HC without Brady and that is over 8+ seasons now. He has zero divisional titles, one playoff appearance and one win. He has much to prove to discredit the narrative that is booming now that the historic run was due more to Brady.

All that being said, the real issue IMO has never been Bill lacking as a head coach even with his blind spots on the offensive side. It has always been Bill the GM. That is ultimately why Brady left. It remains to be seen if Bill can resurrect things. I agree that this offseason gives a lot of reason for optimism. I liked what we did in FA and loved the draft. I also have high hopes for Jones. So we will see how things go moving forward but the arrow is pointing up which is very encouraging.

He has much to prove to discredit the narrative that is booming now that the historic run was due more to Brady.
that is utter nonsense and I suspect you damn well know it. You’re just so far into the Brady Hagiography now that you can’t possibly be objective. I have no doubt that you will discount Bill’s success with the all conquering Giants defense, as being solely down to LT. Because that will fit your Brady narrative as the Patriot success being solely down to him.

And again, you completely ignore the other 52 guys on those Patriot rosters in the successful run. Quite amazing.

that is utter nonsense and I suspect you damn well know it. You’re just so far into the Brady Hagiography now that you can’t possibly be objective. I have no doubt that you will discount Bill’s success with the all conquering Giants defense, as being solely down to LT. Because that will fit your Brady narrative as the Patriot success being solely down to him.

And again, you completely ignore the other 52 guys on those Patriot rosters in the successful run. Quite amazing.
Well, you have completely won me over with your use of the word "hagiography." Well done!

But I must call nonsense on your soliloquy. QB is by far the most important position on any team hence why the narrative is there between Brady and Bill and not Ty Law and Bill. That being said, the dynastic run is a complete organizational success from Kraft to Bill to Brady to every single player and coach.

As I have said previously, it was the perfect confluence of events that brought about the 2 decade run. That being said there is nothing wrong with parceling our credit as we look back on the run especially since Bill and Brady separated and one had the ultimate success of winning another chip while the other had a losing season. We also have 8 seasons of Bill coaching without Brady to come to some consensus on his head coaching status as it relates to being the greatest of all time. Those 8 seasons are pretty damning to the argument but by no means absolute. Like I said, I have little issue with Bill the HC, it is Bill the GM that is the bigger issue in my view.

I mean think about this, Brady is the GOAT QB, Gronk is the GOAT TE and Adam V. is the GOAT kicker.
Do you know what all 3 of them have in common? Bill got rid of all of them. LOL. What GM in his right mind ever does that?

Back