LB Akeem Ayers to the Pats?

Pneumonic

Reaction score
Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean is reporting that the Tennessee Titans are trading LB Akeem Ayers to the New England Patriots.

• Wyatt adds that only thing that would prevent is a failed physical.
  • Ayers’ brother, Kevin, confirmed that Akeem is now on the Patriots.
Ayers, 25, is in the final year of his rookie contract that is worth a total value of $4.927 million. He’ll make $1,046,796 for the 2014 season before becoming an unrestricted free agent next year.

http://nfltraderumors.co/report-titans-trading-lb-akeem-ayers-to-patriots/

I think that could work out.
I have no idea why the new coaching staff in Tennessee aren't even dressing the guy.

From what I remember he did pretty decently his first three seasons in the league.

Ayers had offseason knee surgery it seems. Was pretty explosive off the edge when healthy. Maybe Hightower moves inside?

Mike Loyko ‏@NEPD_Loyko42 secs43 seconds ago
#Patriots get Ayers and a 7th Round Pick (which they didn't have) give up a 6th Rounder.

If healthy, and he fits the scheme here, I like this addition.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6453/akeem-ayers

The Titans are giving up on a player who was a key cog on defense in 2011-13, but has been active just twice this season. Ayers has played only 10 snaps on defense in 2014, and apparently isn't a fit for DC Ray Horton's system. Ayers underwent surgery on both knees last offseason, but has been healthy enough to play

Yeah seems like he had patella tendon surgery on both knees in January and February this year.

Hopefully those injuries won't happen again.

New staff? Switch to 3-4? Or maybe not yet 100%?

Albert Breer ✔ @AlbertBreer
Rival exec says Ayers was "lost in the shuffle with new staff ... They hoped he could spark some rush for them, and he hasn't."

Nink - Easley - Wilfork - Jones

Ayers - Hightower - Collins

Hightower plays so much better on the outside. While we needed some depth here, what we really needed was an ILB. Guess we'll see how this plays out.

Here's a quick rundown on the newest Patriot:
*The Tennessean, which broke the news of the Ayers trade, wrote a story in early October about Ayers, who has been inactive in five of seven games. Some excerpts from Jim Wyatt's piece:
"Just because I am not walking around here ticked off and tearing everything up doesn't mean I am comfortable with my situation," Ayers said. "I am not comfortable with not playing. I want to play. I am a competitor, and I want to compete. So just because I am not carrying myself a certain way doesn't mean I don't care. "But there is a way to handle everything, and I'm trying to handle things the right way."
And Titans coach Ken Wisenhunt's quote in the story:
"When he gets his opportunity we expect to see production, and see him compete. I'm expecting consistency," Whisenhunt said. "The only way he is going to get back on the field is if that happens. He needs to be consistent in his approach and not making mistakes. … (Whether he plays) is really going to be up to him as far as how he prepares and does on the practice field."​
On October 14, two days after he was inactive versus Jacksonville, Ayers tweeted:
Just Want To Ball
— AKEEM AYERS (@Akeem_Ayers) October 14, 2014
*ESPN's Paul Kuharsky said the Titans netted "something for nothing" with the Ayers trade.
From Kuharky's blog post:

Ayers showed no fire and made no strong move to force his way into the lineup even as others at his position have been unproductive. Such a guy should be working tirelessly to show coaches he needed to be active and on the field with the defense. Ayers did no such thing.
*The 6-foot-3, 255-pound Ayers started at Sam linebacker for three years in Tennessee's 4-3 scheme. When a new coaching staff took over this season, it transitioned the Titans to a 3-4. Ayers lost his starting job and, eventually, a spot on the active roster.
*It was reported by The Tennessean in June that Ayers had offseason surgery on both knees.
From John Glennon's story:
He's still not at 100 percent, which probably goes a long way toward explaining why Ayers – a starter for most of his first three seasons – has not been working with starters during the individual portions of OTAs. "Both of them were damaged, so I had to get both of them cleaned and repaired," Ayers said. "It started with my right knee and then when I injured the right knee, I started compensating for it a lot and eventually damaged the left knee."
*Ayers is in the final season of a four-year, $4.93 million deal that he signed after being selected in the early second round of the 2011 NFL Draft. He was the third linebacker taken in 2011 behind Von Miller (2nd overall) and Aldon Smith (7th overall). He was thought by many, including Mel Kiper, to have first-round talent.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/figpEkHata4?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

*Coming out of UCLA, Ayers told WEEI's Chris Price that he'd "be a great fit" for the New England defense. He played defensive end at UCLA and had 14 sacks in three seasons.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2014/10/what_you_need_to_know_about_ne.html

Sounds like Kuharsky and Wisenhunt are taking shots at the guy unnecessarily.

I can't comment on his work ethic and commitment, and Kuharsky is certainly in no position to do so. Wisenhunt has direct knowledge of this, but he comes across as bitter... he seems to be taking jabs at the guy publicly. Real good look, eh...?

Hope Ayers comes here and proves those two wrong.

I guess I can't blame him if he didn't show a lot of fire to play for the Titans coming off 2 knee surgeries this year. I mean, the Titans are 2-5 after all.

The trade is pending Ayers passing a physical

edit:

I've read his knee Sxs were ACL but I've also read they were patellar tendon strengthening procedures. The latter seems to be correct.

The trade is pending Ayers passing a physical

I seem to recall way back in 2011, there was a lot of people here hoping the Patriots would draft him (they ended up with Ras-IR).

At least, if healthy, he should be able to competently play OLB, although I always thought he was more of a pass-rusher than a run-stuffer.

Also, this guaranteed Hightower stays inside. Which sucks, because not only isn't Hightower as good inside, he knows he's not as good inside, and he was absolutely killing it from the outside before Mayo went down.

I seem to recall way back in 2011, there was a lot of people here hoping the Patriots would draft him (they ended up with Ras-IR).

At least, if healthy, he should be able to competently play OLB, although I always thought he was more of a pass-rusher than a run-stuffer.

Also, this guaranteed Hightower stays inside. Which sucks, because not only isn't Hightower as good inside, he knows he's not as good inside, and he was absolutely killing it from the outside before Mayo went down.

I remember the Giants were reportedly interested him at 19 but needed OL far more than a LB.

Ayers can play inside in a 3-4, in fact, I think that's his best position now. Also proficient at 4-3 strong side OLB.

I remember the Giants were reportedly interested him at 19 but needed OL far more than a LB.

Ayers can play inside in a 3-4, in fact, I think that's his best position now. Also proficient at 4-3 strong side OLB.

Which would be great, if we had four healthy, professional-caliber LBs on the roster. :)

Back