Lets get down to brass tacks, Does Brady hold out?

Does Brady Hold Out?????

• yes.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • no.

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • zombies.

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters
Patriots
Brady won't hold out -- but he should

E-mail|Link|Comments () Posted by Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff July 21, 2010 10:57 AM

From the outset, let’s make this crystal clear: Based on what we believe to be true, the chances of Tom Brady holding out on the Patriots are microscopic, assuming they exist at all. Brady is too loyal to the Kraft family, too image-conscious overall, too good a teammate to do otherwise.

But from a pure business standpoint, as owners and players brace for a labor war, he probably shouldn’t show up. And if you were his agent, you would be telling him that, too.

I know I would.

Among players operating with contracts that expire at the end of the coming football season, Brady is a special case. His contract calls for him to be paid a base salary of just $3.5 million this season, far lower than the approximate $14-$15 million due his primary peer, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who is similarly unsigned beyond 2011. Even if you factor in the $3-million bonus Brady was paid in March, he will earn $6.5 million in this NFL business year. With a new deal, it's fair to assume he would stand to gain somewhere in the neighborhood of $40-$45 million guaranteed.

Should Tom Brady hold out for a new deal?
Yes, it's about time the Patriots ensured he'd be here long-term

No, he should honor the contract he signed

See the problem here? By playing, Brady guarantees himself only another $3.5 million. By sitting out, he might force the Patriots’ hand on a deal that would assure him $40-$45 million. In a league where season- and career-ending injuries frequently occur in an instant – ask Wes Welker about this or, for that matter, Brady himself – no one could possibly blame No. 12 if he opted to look out for No. 1.
As always, there is a great deal to consider here. Logan Mankins, in some ways, faces a similar dilemma. As a restricted free agent, Mankins could play this year at a salary between $1.5 million and $3.2 million, or he could hold out for something closer to what the New Orleans Saints gave Jahri Evans. Like Mankins, Evans was a restricted free agent. Unlike Mankins, he got a multi-year deal that will pay him an estimated $20-$25 million in the first three years. The Saints did for Evans what the Patriots heretofore have been unwilling to do for Mankins, which is why he has been absent from workouts.

So we ask you: why shouldn’t Brady do the same?

By now, we all understand that the Patriots frequently take a hard-line approach on negotiations. Often, the practice has worked for them. The problem now is that they aren’t quite what they used to be and that the idea of taking less in New England is not as appealing as it once was. In most things, you get back what you give, and the Patriots’ hardball approach produced, in turn, a hardball approach from Mankins.

Of course, Mankins is a guard. In theory, thanks to the arrival of Sebastian Vollmer, the Patriots could try to replace Mankins by simply moving Nick Kaczur to guard and playing Vollmer, along with Matt Light, at the two tackle positions. Mankins could hold out until Week 10 – at which point he would sacrifice the necessary service time to qualify for unrestricted free agency – and then may have no choice but to come crawling back.

Brady is another matter entirely. Without him, entering a season in which the Patriots already face more questions than they have since perhaps 2001, his absence would undermine the team entirely. Even if backup Brian Hoyer turns out to be Matt Cassel – and that is a big if – the Patriots don’t have the same proven talent they did two years ago. The first half of the season, in particular, would be a mess. Bill Belichick would be trying to bring along a new quarterback while simultaneously integrating a new draft class, all while hoping to continue the development of young players like Vollmer, Darius Butler, Patrick Chung and others.

Brady has all the leverage here, folks. He is not yet two years removed from knee surgery and he’s playing for short money. He did the Patriots a favor in negotiations last time and he’s not likely to do them another. Anyone who brings the earning power of Giselle Bundchen into this equation is either clueless or a shameless Patriots suck-up, if for no other reason than the fact that Brady is worth what he’s worth, independent of his famous spouse.

If his wife were, say, a volunteer at the local soup kitchen, would that be a reason to give him more?

The Patriots are due to open training camp in eight days. For all we know, the Patriots and Brady’s representatives are already hard at work on a new deal for the quarterback. That is the conclusion everybody wants. But as the NFL creeps toward a labor war – and remember, the owners are the ones who opted out of the current bargaining agreement – there is more and more reason for players to dig in their heels. No first-round picks from this year’s draft have been signed yet. Accomplished men like Brady and Manning are being put on hold by owners who clearly are acting in concert. Across the NFL, owners are expecting many players to show up and play, at varying salaries, with no job or earning security beyond 2010.

If I’m Tom Brady in that scenario, I have to seriously wonder whether playing this year is worth it.

Geez, that article pretty much said what everyone on here did...weird. I like this line.

"Anyone who brings the earning power of Giselle Bundchen into this equation is either clueless or a shameless Patriots suck-up, if for no other reason than the fact that Brady is worth what he’s worth, independent of his famous spouse.
"

You know...thinking about it. If Brady held out, I would be pissed, and could not come up with an excuse for him, it would irk me pretty bad.
And yet I wouldn't blame him or treat him with the scorn I laid on Seymour.

Go figure???

He's already a 1st ballot HOFer.

But football immortality is staring him squarely in the eye. Another SB or 2(and the squad he'll be in camp with is a legit contender) and he'll be on or ahead of a plataeu few if any have reached.

I think that's important to him.

And yet I wouldn't blame him or treat him with the scorn I laid on Seymour.

Go figure???

Holding out screws with this teams chemistry, so that hurts the team I go for, so that makes me upset. I can get by him not lifting weights in the weight room, but training camp is where you are putting everything together. Its hard to miss that unless you are Bret Favre and you are too above the sport and the team to attend.

Did you just sample some of that newfangled incense?

:high:
You know I have a knack for these things.

Here's how I think it plays out.

brady and Krafty bob have a conversation.

TFB: My agent says I should hold out and he makes an awfully compelling argument so I think I'm gonna hold out unless you can pay me 35 mill guaranteed...If I hold out, I look bad, you look bad and the team will be bad.

KB: How about 30 mill guarnteed?

TFB: deal.

If Kraft doesn't give him 30 mill guarteed up front $ then he holds out.

Maybe I'm just a cranky dick today, but it's time for the Pats to stop hiding behind the cap, and the CBA...pay the man, you got 3 rings you wouldnt have had.

God knows it cost enough to go to games.

At the prices it cost to go to Gillette, that season ticket list will be pissed thru pretty quicky if this team goes back to the 'good old days'.

Having said that, I do think they will get it done, but lets get it done, no need for this to drag on.

You know I have a knack for these things.

Here's how I think it plays out.

brady and Krafty bob have a conversation.

TFB: My agent says I should hold out and he makes an awfully compelling argument so I think I'm gonna hold out unless you can pay me 35 mill guaranteed...If I hold out, I look bad, you look bad and the team will be bad.

KB: How about 30 mill guarnteed?

TFB: deal.

If Kraft doesn't give him 30 mill guarteed up front $ then he holds out.

Could they even do that though, and if so, why have more teams not done this with players in this situation this year. I know it does not count against the cap, but there has to be some reason.

Holding out screws with this teams chemistry, so that hurts the team I go for, so that makes me upset. I can get by him not lifting weights in the weight room, but training camp is where you are putting everything together. Its hard to miss that unless you are Bret Favre and you are too above the sport and the team to attend.
He's been the consumate "team" player his whole carreer. Now it's time to get paid. It's his only time, his last time. For him to sacrifice his last payday so that he can be a mentor to a bunch of snot nosed kids is naive.

Would he play for free if it's best for the team? Of course not.

In the end...everyone is about protecting themselves first...then it's about team. Brady is no different and I wouldn't expect him to be.

He's been the consumate "team" player his whole carreer. Now it's time to get paid. It's his only time, his last time. For him to sacrifice his last payday so that he can be a mentor to a bunch of snot nosed kids is naive.

Would he play for free if it's best for the team? Of course not.

In the end...everyone is about protecting themselves first...then it's about team. Brady is no different and I wouldn't expect him to be.

He is not playing for free. The only problem is if he gets hurt....then all bets are off.

He is not playing for free. The only problem is if he gets hurt....then all bets are off.
Just about for free. 3.5?

mankins is looking for 8.

Tom Brady is 25 times more valuable than Mankins and yet he's making a 1/3 of what Mankins will?

He's basically playing for free dude...

Just about for free. 3.5?

mankins is looking for 8.

Tom Brady is 25 times more valuable than Mankins and yet he's making a 1/3 of what Mankins will?

He's basically playing for free dude...

yes, but a contract is in the works, or so we have been told. Its not as if this will even be what he plays for all year, it just is what it is now at this point. At some point this year, they will do a contract and the money amount will go up.

yes, but a contract is in the works, or so we have been told. Its not as if this will even be what he plays for all year, it just is what it is now at this point. At some point this year, they will do a contract and the money amount will go up.

it would need to be done soon, he blows his knee out in camp, and thats out the window.

it would need to be done soon, he blows his knee out in camp, and thats out the window.

Yeah but if he blows a knee in camp then the pats are screwed for paying a cripple a bunch of money. Both parties have risks.

Yeah but if he blows a knee in camp then the pats are screwed for paying a cripple a bunch of money. Both parties have risks.

Sure they do, but thats the risk you take.

Tom took a team friendly deal. It's time for the team to step up, not hIde behind the cap and CBA.

This is the face of the franchise, a first ballot hall of famer, 3 time champion.

Pay him.

Has anyone thought about what might happen when Brady is retired, and BB probably moves on, or moves from the sidelines?

The time is now, pay him, go for anothe trophy, dont be cheap with the man.

Sure they do, but thats the risk you take.

Tom took a team friendly deal. It's time for the team to step up, not hIde behind the cap and CBA.

This is the face of the franchise, a first ballot hall of famer, 3 time champion.

Pay him.

Has anyone thought about what might happen when Brady is retired, and BB probably moves on, or moves from the sidelines?

The time is now, pay him, go for anothe trophy, dont be cheap with the man.

Alright thats enough of that...

Why does everyone seem to focus only on this year's salary? There's also the bonus, which makes it $6.5 million this year. And there's the fact the contract itself averaged $10 million per year. By focusing strictly on this season's salary people are saying it's okay to ignore bonuses and holdout simply because a contract is front loaded.

Why does everyone seem to focus only on this year's salary? There's also the bonus, which makes it $6.5 million this year. And there's the fact the contract itself averaged $10 million per year. By focusing strictly on this season's salary people are saying it's okay to ignore bonuses and holdout simply because a contract is front loaded.
I have to assume Tom never thought this year would ever come to it. he was probabaly told "don't worry about the 3.5 Tom, we will work something our or renegotiate well before that year happens. Then all that CBA crap started and Tom was left high and dry. Damn right he's pissed, he was most likely told something that wasn't eventually true.

Even Tom's front loaded deal before was well below market value...well below.

Back