Let's talk lawn mowers!!

Alk

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new mower. Of course my old one decided to give up right in the middle of mowing season. The wife and I went to do some shopping thinking we would just come him with a new one. I was surprised to find how popular and reasonably priced the electric mowers have become. It almost seems that most of the big box stores are steering towards electric as there were as many or more options available in electric vs gas.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger right then and there and come home with an electric mower but decided to do some research first. Do any of you have electric mowers? If so, what brand and what do you like or don't like about them? I have a fairly small yard that I'm confident could be mowed in one charge. My only concern is we have a hybrid yard. Part Bermuda, part weeds. It can get a bit unruly if it doesn't get mowed once a week. I'm normally on top of it but sometimes if we go out of town for the weekend it might have to go a little bit longer.

I have an ego power plus 21" select cut mower with touch drive self propelled tech. This mower is by far superior to the last one I had The bag fits tight so no more clippings shooting out on one side it isn't cheap but I am more that pleased with how well it cuts even in tall grass and weeds that get up there when we some time skip a week or so between mowing.

Reactions: Alk
From Consumer Reports

Greenworks MO80L421
Lawn mowers and tractors
$749
score 85

Ryobi RY401210US
Lawn mowers and tractors
$799
score 85

Ryobi RY401150US
Lawn mowers and tractors
$799
score 84

Ego LM2156SP-2
Lawn mowers and tractors
$1,000 - $1,199
score 84

I have an ego power plus 21" select cut mower with touch drive self propelled tech. This mower is by far superior to the last one I had The bag fits tight so no more clippings shooting out on one side it isn't cheap but I am more that pleased with how well it cuts even in tall grass and weeds that get up there when we some time skip a week or so between mowing.

This was the exact one that I was looking at. They also had A Kobalt and Craftsman but the Ego looked far superior to the other two. How long have you had your mower? I'm curious what the life expectancy of the batteries are because they were quite expensive to replace.

This was the exact one that I was looking at. They also had A Kobalt and Craftsman but the Ego looked far superior to the other two. How long have you had your mower? I'm curious what the life expectancy of the batteries are because they were quite expensive to replace.
Electric mowers are great for smaller yards and faithful mowing.... we had one for a few years at a rental property... unfortunately the tenants weren’t as tentative as we were lol.

~Dee~

I work construction, and I’ll stand by the Makita electric system. They make an electric push mower that’s probably great. Plus you could use the batteries to power other tools. If you’re gonna get into a system I’d highly recommend keeping it uniform and going makita. I like Dewalt but prefer makita. I use these batteries hard everyday in drills, saws, weed eaters, vacuums, certain nail guns, and Bluetooth speakers. I see them take drops, survive heat, and all abuse and run for years and years.

But I also live in the Virginia tidewater area in the country and an electric mower is for the suburbs.

Give me a big Ferris or John Deer 0 turn. I used to have a Massie Ferguson 0 that I loved. Absolutely loved. It was a bit smaller, but incredible.

when my current mower dies I'll check into the electric. I happened to end up with a Greenworks electric weed wacker and that works really well, so when my old gas leaf blower bit the dust after 10+years, I bout the greenworks blower that uses same battery. I guess if you go with a brand with interchangeable batteries you can avert the drawback of a battery dying.
I although I always try to turn a negative into a positive so in that case I'd grab a beer and tell my wife "Sorry honey, have to wait for battery(s) to charge" :cool:

when my current mower dies I'll check into the electric. I happened to end up with a Greenworks electric weed wacker and that works really well, so when my old gas leaf blower bit the dust after 10+years, I bout the greenworks blower that uses same battery. I guess if you go with a brand with interchangeable batteries you can avert the drawback of a battery dying.
I although I always try to turn a negative into a positive so in that case I'd grab a beer and tell my wife "Sorry honey, have to wait for battery(s) to charge" :cool:
The key is do research before buying into a brand of batteries so you can stay with it.
I’ve used green works, and they are ok. They don’t pass the hard use and durability test. They are ok. For the money dewalt or makita are the way to go, and I think makita is definitely better than dewalt.
Amazon often has good deals on pre owned battery powered makita and dewalt stuff. They are usually like brand new.
I would never ever buy any millwalkee product. I work with guys who are on that system, and the batteries are absolute shit. Milwaukee is no better than craftsman, and the craftsman stuff is garbage.

Last edited:
I had a Kobalt and it leaked clippings around the bag. Also the bag sat to low and dragged on the ground so it wore thin Depending on the size of your yard on average you should get 8-10 years out of the batteries I recommend having two batteries and chargers if you have a larger lawn. The run time per charge is about 60 minutes. if you have a Rapid Charger then you can recharge a battery in about 1 hour. I love this mower as it is very easy to handle and store. It also does a better job of mulching that most electrics I have tried.

Last edited:

This is where I am at as well. I have had oour current Honda since 2012. 3 blades, 3 oil channels and 3 spark plugs later it still starts on the first pull. I don't even bother to winterize it. The only allure the electrics bring for me is noise. My AirPods simply can't overcome the noise so I don't get to listen to stuff. There are several neighbors w electrics of various models and the lack of noise is appealing. Otherwise, I would go gas every time.

I would consider buying the Abrams lawnmower. The great thing about this it has a great turning radius, and at the same time you can prepare for any potential civil unrest, gophers, rabbits, and ex-wives.

View attachment 17859
i would like to own this, i would be a little concerned about the missles flying by my head when i fire them. I could make a few Mods to it and it would work perfect!

This is where I am at as well. I have had oour current Honda since 2012. 3 blades, 3 oil channels and 3 spark plugs later it still starts on the first pull. I don't even bother to winterize it. The only allure the electrics bring for me is noise. My AirPods simply can't overcome the noise so I don't get to listen to stuff. There are several neighbors w electrics of various models and the lack of noise is appealing. Otherwise, I would go gas every time.
This is what we have. Had it since 2002. We keep saying when it dies, we'll look into electric. The thing won't die. 5 blades, oil changes every year...never winterized and starts on the first pull every single time. Our neighbor has an electric mower - about same size yard. He needs two batteries to do his but it is super quiet compared to ours.

noise is a big factor, especially with weed wackers. way way quieter with electric. told my neighbor to replace his gas one as it is the most annoying sound going

That's where I was at too. I loved my last mower. It has a Honda motor that still starts on the first pull. It had the swivel front wheels so it was easy to maneuver around our yard. The last time I used it though the front of the deck decided that it had had enough and completely cracked. I was surprised to find out that they really don't make a mower with the swivel front wheels anymore unless you get into the big commercial machines.

I have 3 mowers:

33" Craftsman Pro
21" Honda gas
21" Greenworks 60v

I acquired the Greenworks mower by chance as I was in Lowe's last year and it was on clearance for $99 so I grabbed it, not really needing it. I have a very challenging hill on one side of my property that is hell on a gas mower (and my back) and so I figured I would give it a try (and if it didn't work, hang on to it until the spring and sell it on Marketplace for close to true retail and make a couple bucks). Well it worked so I kept it. I will also occasionally use it on other, smaller parts of the yard.

Pros:
Super lightweight (maybe 5x lighter than my Honda)
Far quieter than any gas machine (probably close to 10x)
Decent battery life (I'd compare it to a full take of gas in the Honda)
EDIT TO ADD IN A BIG PRO: I also bought a 60v Greenworks trimmer and it's great (my old gas trimmer was more than I needed, most folks do not need a commercial-grade trimmer for their property and now I have 2 batteries for the mower and trimmer and I rarely do both on the same day - this is a big plus)

Cons:
It doesn't have nearly the balls of a gas mower
-By this I mean, a gas mower can spin the blade with far more revolutions per minute than the battery mower can
-As a result, the higher you need the cut to be, the less efficient the battery mower is by comparison and you have to make multiple passes in order to ensure you have a nice, neat cut

So for my purposes, the battery mower suits my unique need for that sucky part of my property, but I'd only recommend it if:
-You have a small mowing area
-You have a tractor or wide cut mower and have a few small spots that need to be touched up with a trimmer or small mower
-You have a dickhead hill like I have

Last edited:
Back