Looking At The Patriots - 2013

We've scored quick TD's, but it's not like Flacco throwing bombs to Smith to tie in Denver.

Who on this team is beating the other team down the field wide open for catches? We do not have Smith or anything close, and he is at best a above average wideout, nothing more really.

We've scored quick TD's, but it's not like Flacco throwing bombs to Smith to tie in Denver.

We can score quickly by covering large chunks of yardage but big bomb plays seem to be totally dependent on the opponent blowing coverage for us to get a guy wide open. We simply don't have a WR who can dominate coverage. We have possession guys in WW, Branch and Lloyd.

We can score quickly by covering large chunks of yardage but big bomb plays seem to be totally dependent on the opponent blowing coverage for us to get a guy wide open. We simply don't have a WR who can dominate coverage. We have possession guys in WW, Branch and Lloyd.

I just want a guy that Brady can look out and see one on one coverage, with no safety over the top and feel confident that he can throw the ball that way and his guy is going to make a play. Your offense becomes what your players make it up to be. We do not need a 12 mil a year Calvin Johnson, but a John Jones, or a Jordy Nelson, Mike Williams, Even a Chris Givens. Our best downfield catch guy is Gronk.

FO gives its assessment of our OL. You'll like what you read.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/word-muth/2013/word-muth-patriots-exit-exam

I do indeed like what I read on that report - the O-line was something which was a worry to many before the season began but those fears were proven to be wrong.

If we can resign Donald Thomas I will be very pleased as he proved his value when stepping in to replace either Mankins or Connolly when thy went down with injury, and sometimes looked better than Mankins.

Vollmer is going to attract some serious interest from other teams but I do really hope he sticks with the team as when he was healthy he proved to be a standout player.
Posted via Mobile Device

I just want a guy that Brady can look out and see one on one coverage, with no safety over the top and feel confident that he can throw the ball that way and his guy is going to make a play. Your offense becomes what your players make it up to be. We do not need a 12 mil a year Calvin Johnson, but a John Jones, or a Jordy Nelson, Mike Williams, Even a Chris Givens. Our best downfield catch guy is Gronk.

The Patriots do need a big outside receiver and another threat in the red zone. Whether they can get those things out of two players or one, they need them. At times it's painful watching them try to make comebacks by dinking and dunking down the field and then the drive stalling.

It works if Brady plays out of his mind like the SF game, but in the playoffs recently it's been more like this Ravens game and the Jets game in 2010. Remember that one drive that took like 7 minutes and got no points?

And also, they're clearly never going to run the ball (how many times did they throw on 3rd and 2?). All that crap about them establishing the run early in the year goes out the window in the playoffs. McDaniels has made it quite clear in tough games that Brady's going to chuck it 50 times every game even when the other team dares you to run.

The Patriots can't or won't. Their one touchdown, did you really think they could line up and punch it in? Of course they had to throw for it. So if you're only going to do it one way, get stud WR's.

And also, they're clearly never going to run the ball (how many times did they throw on 3rd and 2?). All that crap about them establishing the run early in the year goes out the window in the playoffs. McDaniels has made it quite clear in tough games that Brady's going to chuck it 50 times every game even when the other team dares you to run.

I simply cannot agree with this statement after this season. In the 2011 season a lot of people had issues with the run game including personnel and play calls, but I am not sure how anyone can say this after this season. I felt that this was a very good season for the run game and they have been more balanced than 2011. I don't remember them not "accepting the dare" of running the ball if the opposing defenses allow for it, but I do remember them not running the ball because the defense would just stop it.

Toronto Argonauts GM talks about Armstead.

“I don’t think it’s very often that an NFL team can get a first-round pick without using a first-round pick,” Barker said of Armstead.

Here is the Q&A with Barker:

What type of player are the Patriots getting?
“They’re getting a 6-5, 280-pound active player who plays very smart. He plays with great leverage. He’s an above-average pass-rusher who plays the run well. He’s a solid all-around player, a phenomenal young man. As good a player as he is, he’s a better person. I think at a young age – he was 21 when he came up here – I think he grew a lot just living in another country on his own. I think his maturation level is going to be higher than if he were to come off a university campus. Not only a great player, but a fantastic person; he’ll be great in the community.”

Can you describe how Armond was utilized on defense with the Argonauts?
“He was used for us both as a nose guard – he’s obviously not Vince Wilfork, that’s not what he does, he’s not a two-gap player in a 30 front – and 3 technique [outside shade on the guard]. He played on the edge some in the 30 front but not much. It wasn’t that he couldn’t do it, it’s that we didn’t play a lot of 30 front. He was moved around inside and was mainly an inside player for us. He ended up being named All-CFL as a rookie, which is very rare.”

How did you bring him to the Argonauts?
“I went to USC myself, so I was aware of Armond’s story. When I saw that USC was not going to allow him to go through Pro Day, I put him on our negotiation list. I didn’t know all the details. We kind of went through the process. His agent is Don Yee, a good friend of mine, and we worked out that if in fact he can play, this might be the best solution for him to come to Canada. If things worked out at the end of the first year, he could either come back for a second year or we would allow him to go and pursue his dream if he was ready for that. This was just a rare, once-in-a-lifetime case. I don’t think it’s very often where an NFL team can get a first-round pick without using a first-round pick. When he came up, about the second or third day of training camp, I told somebody on our coaching staff ‘this guy is going to be the highest paid guy out of Canada ever.’ The details of his [contract] I’m not sure, but from everything I understand, that in case is the fact. We’ve had some good players from our league go down and be very successful – Cam Wake, Jeff Garcia, Doug Flutie. This guy is young and his best years are ahead of him. He just fits the mold of the type of player the Patriots look for – high character, great athlete, still growing into being a great pro football player.”

How would you characterize the interest from NFL teams over the course of the season?
“I can say he was highly sought-after. The players up in our league are different, because it’s a different game. We’re more of a space game. For Armond, he’s not going to have that yard off the ball. It’s a much tighter game in the NFL. Some of the things we look for, there are players who play in the NFL that couldn’t play up here. There are some different skill sets, but in certain positions and areas there is obviously carry-over. We have a phenomenal group of players up here. I would say we get more and more [NFL] teams every year come through. The teams that are very thorough come through and do a real good job and they know all the players in our league, as they should – just like we have to go down and we scout all 32 NFL teams. On an NFL roster, we’re not going to get the people who are going to make their team, but there are a lot of guys they have in training camp who can’t play for us. In fact, over half of them probably can’t play for us, but we have to go down and scout them. That’s what good teams in our league do, just like the best teams in [the NFL] do up here. There is a good relationship between the two leagues. We honor each other’s contracts. It’s a good relationship.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739182/argonauts-gm-on-armstead

ESPN Insider has an article written by KC Joyner that argues Brady's decline is in full swing. The entire article is posted since it's a pay site.

Tom Brady doesn't look like the elite quarterback he used to be.One of the uncomfortable truths about quarterbacks headed into their late 30s is that the cliff of performance decline can seemingly come out of nowhere in a relatively short amount of time.
Dan Fouts led the league in yards per attempt (YPA) at age 34 then only two years later had the second lowest YPA mark of his career. He called it quits after that season.
Dan Marino led the league in net yards per attempt when he was 35 years old. In each of the next three seasons, he failed to top the 7-yard YPA mark, a statistical feat that happened to him only once prior to 1996.
Fran Tarkenton led the league in touchdown passes and passer rating in 1975 at the age of 35. Two years later, his numbers saw a significant decrease and that drop-off culminated in a 1978 schedule that saw Tarkenton throw 32 interceptions and rank 25th in passer rating on his way to graduating into a broadcasting career.
These are but three of a large number of potential examples that illustrate just how unforgiving Father Time can be at that stage of a quarterback's life.
As painful as it is to say this, after a detailed review of the 2012 New England Patriots season, it looks like Tom Brady, who will turn 36 prior to the 2013 season, will very soon serve as another example of this type of dramatic decline.
At first glance, this might not look to be the case. After all, Brady ranked second in the league in Total QBR, fourth in passing yards and touchdown passes and was tied for first in interception percentage.
Good as those figures are, they belie some disturbing trends. Brady's YPA (7.6) and completion percentage (63.0) were his lowest since 2006 and his touchdown percentage (5.3) was his lowest since 2009.
He also showed a significant statistical drop down the stretch, as his December numbers in YPA (7.0), completion percentage (58.5) and touchdown to interception ratio (10-to-5) were the worst monthly totals of his 2012 season.
It isn't just the numbers where Brady started to show some regression.
He looked painfully slow in the AFC Championship Game against Baltimore. This was especially evident on a fourth-and-4 play in the fourth quarter when it looked like Brady had plenty of room to scramble for a first down inside the Ravens' 15-yard line. Instead, he ran sideways, looked behind him to see if anyone was closing in and eventually chucked the ball well short of his receiver in the end zone.
That play was but one of many errors Brady made, and those errors led to the first NFL home loss he has ever suffered after leading at the half.
This wasn't the only game where his weaknesses were brought to the fore.
[+] Enlarge<cite>AP Photo/Tom DiPace</cite>Without Brady to mask the Pats' blemishes, New England will face new challenges.

The book on Brady since the Patriots lost to the Giants in Super Bowl XLII is that a strong pass rush can rattle him. Baltimore certainly achieved this in the aforementioned game (it's why Brady was looking behind him as he scrambled and was almost certainly a factor in his raising his leg to protect himself as Ed Reed closed for a possible big hit), and that same flaw showed up in the Patriots' Week 15 game against San Francisco.
The 49ers looked to have adopted the old Al Davis adage of hitting the quarterback hard early in the game, and achieved it when Aldon Smith smashed into Brady early in the first quarter. That blow set a tone as the Niners' pass rush kept Brady on his heels for most of the game. And it is worth noting that the New England offense really did not get on track until Justin Smith suffered an injured triceps, which considerably slowed the San Francisco pass rush.
All of the above issues could be enough to hinder Brady's future, but the biggest of his woes may very well be a significant decline in accuracy. His tremendous attention to detail in practicing the proper passing mechanics has led to Brady being, by far, the most accurate passer I've seen in 10 seasons of breaking down game tapes. But that trend took a big step back this past season, as Brady's accuracy was well below its norm.
This led to a tremendous number of missed completions (46 by my tracking sheets) and additionally caused a large number of completions to potentially fall short of their yards-after-catch upside because the receiver had to adjust to a pass that wasn't thrown to the proper spot.
Brady is still so far ahead of most other quarterbacks that, even with a drop-off in his performance, he will likely be a top-tier passer for the next two to three seasons.
The issue for New England is that any level of decline in his play could reduce his effectiveness in mitigating a multitude of this team's personnel issues.
These roster limitations start on defense. According to ESPN Stats & Information, New England ranked 21st in Total QBR allowed, 25th in yards per game allowed, 24th in yards per play allowed, 29th in pass yards per game allowed, 28th in net yards per attempt allowed, 21st in sack percentage and 25th in first downs allowed per game.
The offense has a pair of 31-year old wide receivers, one of whom was something of a disappointment in 2012 (Brandon Lloyd), and another of whom (Wes Welker) is a free agent whose future with the team is dependent upon New England coming up with a either a long-term contract or ponying up $11.4 million by placing a franchise tag on him.
Compounding these issues is the fact that the Patriots don't have much in the way of draft pick volume in the years ahead.
There is good news in that this year's draft is stocked with very good depth in the defensive line and safety positions, so the Patriots ought to be able to make the most of their relatively few selections.
In addition, it should be noted that New England does have a solid collection of young talent to go along with a projected $18.6 million in cap space, a total that ties the Patriots for eighth-most in that category.
Having noted those factors, it is still unavoidable that the Patriots are in a conference that has probably reached its won-loss nadir. This past season, the AFC had seven teams finish with six or fewer wins. By contrast, the NFC had only three teams end the season with a victory total in that range.
When the development of those bottom-tier AFC teams is combined with the improvements likely to occur among the AFC playoff teams, the Patriots' path to the conference title game in the near future is not going to be as smooth as it has sometimes been in the past.
Add it all up, and it could mean the world saw the end of the New England dynasty (and Brady's championship chances) in that title game loss to the Ravens.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8876040/nfl-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-decline-begun

I don't agree with his assessment at all. Brady's 2012 performance was actually better overall than 2010 or 2011. How he comes to this after 1 bad game is astounding.

Yeah, I think she has an estimated net worth around a quarter of a billion dollars. I'm pretty sure Tommy could pay Welker's salary on top of playing for free for the remainder of his time, and they'd still not go hungry :)

I actually looked it up awhile back and it appears that Giselle has been pulling down between $30M and $50M per year (internationally) for several years. Outside of North America, Tom is mostly known for being Giselle's husband (and an American Football player of some sort).

Seriously every off season its the same thing. Brady's losing it or has lost it or some type of bash on him. I'll admit it that his playoff performances has been on the downside for a few years now but c'mon? He didn't lose us this game. Yes he had a bad game and there was a few plays that was on him but plain and simple it was a team loss just like the last few playoff games. It's pathetic? There's so many plays I can think of off the top of my head that can change the outcome of a few of the last playoff games and non of this talk would even exist. (I won't tho becuz I for one don't care to re-live any of them) but when it comes down to it there isn't another QB in the league like Tom Brady. *brady rant off*

ESPN Insider has an article written by KC Joyner that argues Brady's decline is in full swing. The entire article is posted since it's a pay site.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8876040/nfl-tom-brady-new-england-patriots-decline-begun

I don't agree with his assessment at all. Brady's 2012 performance was actually better overall than 2010 or 2011. How he comes to this after 1 bad game is astounding.

Well, I just wonder if the Pats having their highest drop total of any year since 1998 had anything to do with his completion pct? I don't know maybe not, cool, lets cut him, I am sure there are a multitude of Qb's out there that can do what he does, bring them so we can win some superbowls. So there we go, make it happen, the media has spoken. Lets give, lets say....Flacco....Lloyd and Branch, and say, ok, go get em man, go score us 30 points....oh sorry, nope you can't have Gronk, he is hurt and oh yeah, you can have welker in the year he had his most drops ever....go get em. peyton Manning cannot throw the ball 10 freaking yards in the air, everything is fine, Brady loses and he is done. I swear to god I am going to stop watching football until Brady retires, and then I do not have to read stupid crap like this anymore.

......(Brady's) tremendous attention to detail in practicing the proper passing mechanics has led to Brady being, by far, the most accurate passer I've seen in 10 seasons of breaking down game tapes. But that trend took a big step back this past season, as Brady's accuracy was well below its norm. ......

Tom Martinez.

Tom Martinez.

Lead the league in dropped passes....last year the pats were 3rd in fewest dropped passes, they had 11, this year they had 41 so 30 more passes if completed, makes Brady's completion go from 63% to 67%....go figure.

Back