Looking At The Patriots - 2013

Chevss...even Bodden? He played for RAC so he knew the deal scheme wise & that's surprising he'd re-sign with the Pats after his 1 year deal when Hou wanted him. I always thought Bodden's career being over was more of an injury deal.

That's what I thought too..no too long after being cut he underwent surgery and never returned to football

Chevss...even Bodden? He played for RAC so he knew the deal scheme wise & that's surprising he'd re-sign with the Pats after his 1 year deal when Hou wanted him. I always thought Bodden's career being over was more of an injury deal.

My understanding was that Bodden wanted to play & needed Sx to do so. He was on IR for a yr (2010) and came back for the 2011 season in bad condition & w/ a bad attitude so BB released him in Oct of 2011.

edit: After a good '09 season, Bodden was signed to a 5yr/22M deal with $10M guaranteed in March of '10. The problem was Bodden had a bad shoulder lingering and didn't reveal it. He received his $10M but never played another down for the Pats. BB was pissed about it.

My understanding was that Bodden wanted to play & needed Sx to do so. He was on IR for a yr (2010) and came back for the 2011 season in bad condition & w/ a bad attitude so BB released him in Oct of 2011.

I wonder how much his bad attitude was related to the switch from zone-read (which he was great at) to man/press-man (with which he'd had little experience, IIRC)?

I wonder how much his bad attitude was related to the switch from zone-read (which he was great at) to man/press-man (with which he'd had little experience, IIRC)?

Read my edit wh/ I just made.

9 PM tonight - NFL Network - America's Game...The 2004 Patriots.

Can't wait. My favorite Pats team. For now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dO9WbZDh_Fg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeff Howe on Talib. I could read about Talib all day.

Talib has been exposed to some of the finer experiences in professional football over the past 14 months. The Patriots are 20-6 since he cracked the lineup in 2012, and they’re gearing up for another AFC Championship Game, this time against the Broncos in the most spectacular of circumstances with Tom Brady and Peyton Manning leading a battle of the ages.
To borrow a phrase from Talib, “This is football.”
This is Grade-A, unmitigated, elite-against-the-elite competition that will captivate all audiences.
“When you grow up and you want to be in the NFL, this is what you think of,” Talib said. “You think of this time right here on this team right here.”
Especially, Talib knows, after 41⁄2 seasons without a sniff of the playoffs in Tampa Bay. He’s been revived, to a degree, but this isn’t a one-sided relationship. Talib’s tenacity changed the Patriots secondary, as he injected an attitude that improved the whole unit, somewhat immeasurably. The defensive backs admitted to getting coached more aggressively since Talib’s arrival, and their on-field aggressiveness has shown.
It would then make sense for the Pats to keep Talib around. They offered him a long-term contract last offseason, though the important particulars such as guaranteed money and injury protection were unknown. He stuck with a one-year, prove-it deal that escalated to a value of $5.5 million with his Pro Bowl selection.
Talib is business-savvy, so he won’t publicize his desire to stay with the Patriots. But his infatuation with Bill Belichick and the operation is as glowing as his personality. Talib loves it at Gillette Stadium.
“It’s totally different here,” Talib said. “It’s big games after big games. It’s Monday nights after Sunday nights, playoffs. Tom Brady is walking around here. There are countless people and media in the locker room. This is the NFL right here.”
Despite some early troubles with the Buccaneers, Talib was an offseason award winner this past summer with the Patriots, and his teammates view him as a leader. Young cornerbacks Alfonzo Dennard and Logan Ryan admired his tutelage and consistent work ethic since getting to know him, but the public backings extend beyond the defensive backs.
“I definitely feel like Aqib is definitely one of those guys you need in a locker room, on the field, off the field,” linebacker Dont’a Hightower said. “He’s what you want on your team. He’s everything I would want in a corner. If we could pick any corner out in the league, Aqib is the perfect corner all the way around. He’s not afraid to tackle. He’ll come up and hit. He plays man-to-man damn near perfect, and he’s still a good zone corner.”
Talib is also preparing for something of a redemption game. He re-injured his hip in last year’s AFC Championship Game loss to the Ravens, and his second-half absence changed the pace of action. Talib admitted he was still “limping around” in this season’s first meeting against the Broncos, so the fact he’s “close to” 100 percent has him jacked up for tomorrow.
To date, this is the biggest moment of Talib’s career, a high he couldn’t fathom ever existed before the trade. Now, it’s practically routine with the Pats, and Talib is ready to show his stuff with the chance to help the Pats advance to Super Bowl XLVIII.
“I love it,” Talib said. “Games like this, you want to be at your best.”
http://bostonherald.com/sports/patr...atriots/2014/01/aqib_talib_feels_all_the_love

Patriots All Access.

Was that a PAZ sighting?!?!?

The tattoo looked remarkably familiar and she wasn't shy with the flexing either. Plus she left AZ for CO I thought.

Hmmm.......

Patriots All Access.

Was that a PAZ sighting?!?!?

The tattoo looked remarkably familiar and she wasn't shy with the flexing either. Plus she left AZ for CO I thought.

Hmmm.......

You are correct. Indeed, it was her. Not only that, she posted a fantastic pic of her on Facebook laughing with Mr. Kraft, who was pointing at her willie 55 jersey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forum Runner

One of my favorite scenes in the movie Moneyball is when Athletics GM Billy Beane (played by Brad Pitt) is sitting in the War Room with his scouts, trying to figure out how to replace Jason Giambi, whom they lost through free agency. Beane reveals to his scouts that "you can’t find another Giambi, but you can recreate him through the aggregate." (Simply defined, an aggregate is a sum of various parts.)
In the NFL, the New England Patriots have championed this philosophy greater than any other team in the league. During this past offseason, they were stuck in a similar quandary: Leading wide out Wes Welker would be entering the free agent market. With Welker hitting 32 years old and his production dropping in the 2012 season (see below), the Patriots thought it would be best to move in a different direction.
<table class="free" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Season</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Recep.</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Yds</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Y/R</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> TD</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> PER</td> </tr> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 2011</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 122</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 1569</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 12.9</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 9</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 2.00</td> </tr> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 2012</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 118</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 1354</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 11.5</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 6</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 1.71</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Wes Welker’s Production (2011-2012 Seasons)
With their leading wide out gone, many were skeptical the newly signed Danny Amendola could be the true replacement of Wes Welker. However, what many overlooked was that Amendola wasn’t brought in to replace Wes Welker; he was brought in to help recreate Welker through the aggregate.
Knowing full well it’s impossible to replace Welker directly, the Patriots employed Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola to fit the mold of the missing “Welker Slot” on the Patriots offense. Of course, there were growing pains for Tom Brady early in the season, but the production from the slot receiver this year yielded beyond Welker’s best years as a Patriot (2011 was Welker’s best season as a Patriot). The Patriots came out looking even more genius this season as Welker’s numbers fell for a second consecutive season, even as a receiver on the most prolific passing offense in NFL history.
<table class="free" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> </td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Recep.</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Yds</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Y/R</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> TD</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> PER</td> </tr> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Welker </td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 73</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 778</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 10.7</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 10</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 1.21</td> </tr> <tr> <td nowrap="nowrap"> Amdendola/Edelman </td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 159</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 1719</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 10.8</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 8</td> <td nowrap="nowrap"> 2.10</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> 2013 Season – Welker vs Patriot’s “Welker Aggregate”
With the lingering injuries that have plagued Rob Gronkowski, do not be surprised to see New England focus on recreating the tight end position in the off season.
http://www.thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/recreate-through-aggregate-dont-replace

Great find! Thanks!

This puts into words the way I've been thinking for quite awhile about how BB manages the roster - that it's more role-based than position-based.

There are roles for every situation, play-call, game plan. Sometimes, BB gets lucky and comes up with one player can handle a particular role by himself (Welker). More often, though, a role must be divvied up amongst multiple players (perhaps across different positions), each of whom may also have a piece of another role, too.

As long as all the roles are more or less filled by competent guys, it works. And it reduces the need to try to acquire elite-level players at a specific position - more difficult to do, anyway, for a team that nearly always drafts very late in the first round.

It's kind of the RBBC concept, extended.

The trouble you run into with this philosophy is now when you're looking aggregate and you have both players on the field at the same time you're trying to replace WWs numbers with the 2 guys and not accounting for the numbers of the other guy whose position is being replaced.

So in essence with both players on the field it's not just WW production being matched, it's WW + say ... Lloyd.

Well, maybe that's not so difficult after all...

The trouble you run into with this philosophy is now when you're looking aggregate and you have both players on the field at the same time you're trying to replace WWs numbers with the 2 guys and not accounting for the numbers of the other guy whose position is being replaced.

So in essence with both players on the field it's not just WW production being matched, it's WW + say ... Lloyd.

Well, maybe that's not so difficult after all...

and with the TE position you will Aggregate a blocker and a Receiving TE and teh team will key on the player and the tendencies when a Blocking TE is on the field. Too many Tells when you insert specific role players.

Now to find another Aperp type (without the baggage) to compliment Hooman and Gronk would be wise.

Back