Looking At The Patriots - 2013

This chart shows the reason BB hates turnovers so much

2013 NFL Winning Percentages Per Interception Thrown
0: 70% (74-32)
1: 49% (43-45)
2: 27% (13-35)
3: 15% (3-17)
4+: 0% (0-4)

BB like this power running game develin stays . Washington & bequette should be cut . Waste of a roster space.

Bequette I agree, Washington - it's getting colder, kicks getting shorter, if he gets healthy and stays healthy, he stays. If he can't he goes.

But I was completely forgetting about Bequette, kinda sad that you don't even realise a player you drafted in the 3rd round last year is on the Active Roster.

Steven Ridley is the 2nd best RB (DYAR) in the NFL according to FO. Only LeSean McCoy ranks ahead wh/ means Ridley ranks better than J. Charles and A. Peterson. These guys are the focus of slightly more run-happy offenses than the Patriots, so they get a lot more attention. Ridley has quietly gone about his business an established himself as a top-notch RB, which is why he is on this list.

It will be a tough game. But how much of Carolina's current success is a by-product of a very easy schedule? Up to this point, they've face 1 team with a winning record (Seattle, week 1) and one with a .500 record (Arizona) (losing both). The other 6 teams have a combined 12 wins.

These next two weeks will be big tests for them (@SF, then NE).

Our next game is against the Panthers. This is an extraordinarily well written piece, complete with gifs, that explains why they are the 3rd best defense in the league.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/11/8/5080004/panthers-vs-49ers-defense-breakdown

Good stuff, Chevs. Thanks for finding it and bringing it here for me to enjoy.

I haven't seen much of Carolina so it's a mystery to me how they have suddenly rocketed to the 3rd ranked D in the NFL, but I'll bet Keuchly has a lot to do with it.

I watched a ton of BC games just to watch Luke Keuchly. I loved his diagnostic and tackling abilities. Never out of position, never seemed to get fooled, never lets a guy get away, even in his first year in college. A natural. He started as a freshman and his tackle numbers for his three seasons were 158, 183 and 191. Incredible numbers.

The guy is just a textbook football player, but I wasn't sure if he was big enough. I had my hopes that BB would have admired a guy like him -- he seemed like a perfect Patriot -- and gone after him. He went higher than most expected at 9 after killing the combine, but it's nice to see him getting props from everywhere in only his 2nd year.

If only things played out differently and we got him instead of Hightower, but hindsight is 20-20.

It's likely we'll see more of him than we'd like in another 9 days or so. It'll be interesting to see if Rivera spots him up on Gronk as he did to Tony G. That's a tall order for anybody, but I expect they'll give it a shot.

Good stuff, Chevs. Thanks for finding it and bringing it here for me to enjoy.

I haven't seen much of Carolina so it's a mystery to me how they have suddenly rocketed to the 3rd ranked D in the NFL, but I'll bet Keuchly has a lot to do with it.

Keuchly is part of it. IMO Ron Rivera has a heavily weighted defensive background (Bears, Eagles, Chargers) that he is using to build/draft/coach this team to what you see today. He's in his 3rd season and starting to sow the fruits of his labor. If he keeps it up, this will get him off the hot seat.

WRT Ridley, the thing about comparing year-to-year snap counts per game is that you then also have to compare year-to-year offensive plays per game. Through 9 games in 2013, the Pats' offense is averaging 5 fewer plays per game - 2 fewer pass plays and 3 fewer running plays. That doesn't account for the total difference in Ridley's snap counts, of course, but without that bit of context, the difference perhaps appears more significant than it is.

It will be a tough game. But how much of Carolina's current success is a by-product of a very easy schedule? Up to this point, they've face 1 team with a winning record (Seattle, week 1) and one with a .500 record (Arizona) (losing both). The other 6 teams have a combined 12 wins.

These next two weeks will be big tests for them (@SF, then NE).

Yeah, I'm skeptical, too.

Carolina's wins (5-3):

wk-3: Big over NYG (2-6) in CAR, 30th in ppg
wk-6: Big at MIN (2-7) with Cassell at QB, 14th ppg
wk-8: Big at TBY (0-8), who took SEA to OT in wk-9, 31st ppg
wk-9: Big over ATL (2-6) in CAR, 18th ppg

wk-7: win over STL (3-6) in CAR , Bradford's last game, 23rd ppg

Losses:
wk-1: close loss to SEA (8-1), 10th ppg
--- SEA hasn't played played the roughest schedule, either, barely winning their last two - at STL (without Bradford) and in OT at home over TBY
wk-2: very close loss at BUF (3-6), 21st ppg
--- BUF has played against some fairly strong defenses: Pats, NYJ, BAL, CLE, CIN, NOL, KCY
wk-5: fairly solid loss at ARZ (4-4), 24th ppg

Here's Mankins' clip that cost him $10K

9u0YODiqV.gif

Career fumble rates (updated)
Kevin Faulk 2.89% (1 per every 34.6 carries)
Stevan Ridley 1.21% (1 per every 82.5 carries)

It's time for BB to slack off Ridley imo.

Ya, I've been a bit perplexed by the reaction to his fumbles. And now every time the MSM mentions Ridley they talk about his "history of fumbles" and related problems. He barely fumbled at all in previous seasons, and he hasn't even lost many this season.

I look around the league and see plenty of other dudes I'd be scared to watch carrying the ball at critical times. Ridley is far down that list, IMO.

Back