Looking at the Patriots - 2020

Isn’t half of Harry’s problem just getting off the line?

I think it's time to try Harry in Aperp's role as a move-TE. Maybe he can beat a LB.
I suppose it's worth a shot, but I'm not seeing any speed out of Harry. I mean none. Come to think of it, he seems to be quite poor as a route runner, doesn't have consistent hands, isn't proving to be a reliable blocker and, for some reason, he refuses to come back towards Newton when a play breaks down or to try to screen a defender with his body.

If I was forced to come up with something he does well, I'm not sure if I could. He isn't even physical with the ball in his hands anymore. The guy I was sure was going to be a fine player looks completely lost and I don't see anything much to build on. Maybe it really was the H2H shots that affected him, but he doesn't look right and I don't think Cam can afford to keep him in his sights anymore, because he isn't contributing anything.

(Watch him suddenly wake up Sunday now that I've given up, but the above is my honest opinion)

I suppose it's worth a shot, but I'm not seeing any speed out of Harry. I mean none. Come to think of it, he seems to be quite poor as a route runner, doesn't have consistent hands, isn't proving to be a reliable blocker and, for some reason, he refuses to come back towards Newton when a play breaks down or to try to screen a defender with his body.

If I was forced to come up with something he does well, I'm not sure if I could. He isn't even physical with the ball in his hands anymore. The guy I was sure was going to be a fine player looks completely lost and I don't see anything much to build on. Maybe it really was the H2H shots that affected him, but he doesn't look right and I don't think Cam can afford to keep him in his sights anymore, because he isn't contributing anything.

(Watch him suddenly wake up Sunday now that I've given up, but the above is my honest opinion)

Yeah but if he can't beat a LB he can't play in this league. Put him in motion and let him get a head start. If he isn't successful there he's officially a bust in my mind.
(And I hope to hell the scouts involved in drafting him know their mistakes made in evaluating him!! Or fired!!!)

My bar was never high for him but he's under-performed more than I ever imagined. Actually I feel a little sorry for him.

We know that's not happening.

He has also taken a lot of penalties too. I was listening to Bedard yesterday and he was mentioning how difficult it is for receivers to pick up our offense. I know we have seen this over the years but he was saying now that Brady is gone, maybe it is time to go to a much simpler offense. I was thinking of this in terms of Cam also. He also looks completely lost most of the time from the pocket and has admitted that he is not sure where to go with the ball. When a 10 vet, former MVP says that, it may be time to do something different.

Something else to chew on that I have been thinking about. Brady was the best at attacking the middle of the field. He was not great outside the numbers so he and the Pats made a living off of slot receivers and tight ends. I think we may need to rethink that approach too. Might be time to really spend on some outside guys. You can see how much Cam struggles with the short stuff which was Brady's bread and better. We would be better served with some speed and guys that can just flat out run. Right now everything seems like round hole square peg. I really hope that this off-season Bill completely re-tools the offense. Much depends on what his vision is of the offense but we need an athletic QB who can also throw and then build around him. Then you can add in some of this college type stuff that every team is doing.

Last edited:
The one area even Ex patriots players in media agree. Their been a lack of Consistency on both sides. You need Defense to play good every week. For style of offense the pats are using. Just look at last 3 weeks they play great against Ravens & Cards. Couldn't stop Watson at all.

I think part of the attraction of Harry for Bill was the intangibles as well. The reports on Harry were all positive from his coaches, teammates and from what Bill saw when he met him etc. Harry was a fighter and resilient and had great character, the things Bill always looks for.

But sometimes that's not enough in the NFL and your confidence can take a knock, especially after his 1st season where nothing seemed to go right for him. He looks a crushed player to me like he's baffled at how it's not happening for him and he can't seem to find a way to get out of this hole. It's a brutal sport and just crushes any mental weakness.

If he can't make that step up and deal with this, his career is over in the pros.

Last edited:
I think part of the attraction of Harry for Bill was the intangibles as well. The reports on Harry were all positive from his coaches, teammates and from what Bill saw when he met home etc. Harry was a fighter and resilient and had great character, the things Bill always looks for.

But sometimes that's not enough in the NFL and your confidence can take a knock, especially after his 1st season where nothing seemed to go right for him. He looks a crushed player to me like he's baffled at how it's not happening for him and he can't seem to find a way to get out of this hole. It's a brutal sport and just crushes any mental weakness.

If he can't make that step up and deal with this, his career is over in the pros.

Really well said. :toast:

However, instead of making circus one-handed catches and going house on jet sweeps as he did in College, we're seeing him just plain drop balls right in his mitts and those same sweeps currently look like they're in slo-mo.

I figured he'd be able to use strength and hands to be successful, like Anquan Boldin, and he did flash that kind of ability when he got on the field last season, but he seems unable to do anything versus pro DBs this year.

He seems like a great guy who just can't catch a break. I wanted to believe he'd be a star here, but I just can't find a reason to keep believing. Maybe he can use the offseason to heal his brain and find a new workout regime or something, but this year looks like a complete washout.

This is BB talking about the the 3-8 Chargers. It belongs in the Week 13 - Chargers thread but it's not up yet and every time I put up a game week thread we lose so...here is BB's
gracious analysis of wishful & wistful thinking for the Chargers players he's coaching against.
There can be little doubt after reading this that BB will make a play for TE Hunter Henry in FA this off season. Maybe a couple of others, too.
He also talks about the Chargers being well coached. Yes he does but just...no.

EoQzYsTXcAI6RA9

There

Back