Looking at the Patriots - 2021

There have been a number of Players who had their best years playing as Patriots. Trent Brown is one of them.
Ronnie Perkins making the witch to OLB sounds like a good fit for him.
Christian Barmore with good coaching coaching will be a DL beast.

Jeff Howe on 6th round pick OT Will Sherman - maybe we should take this guy seriously.

When the New England Patriots selected the versatile lineman in the sixth round of the NFL Draft, Bill Belichick lightheartedly pointed to his past in “Army football.”

Left, right, left.

As in, Sherman started at left tackle for Colorado in 2018, right tackle in 2019 and left tackle again in 2020. He showcased similar versatility during his time at famed powerhouse Allen (Texas) High School. And throughout the offseason workout program, Sherman was again flipping sides as the Patriots began to assess his proper place on the depth chart.

“Will is going to be the type of lineman who can play multiple positions and be very good at it because he’s athletic,” former Allen coach Terry Gambill said. “I think that adds value to him. I can see Will playing multiple positions.”

Sherman, a high school teammate of Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray, had to wait his turn at the football factory in northeast Texas. Greg Little (a Carolina Panthers second-round pick in 2019) and Bobby Evans (a Los Angeles Rams third-round pick in 2019) were the starting tackles, but Evans’ injury in 2014 paved a path for Sherman to take over on the right side.

Allen won its third consecutive state championship with Sherman as a first-time starter.

“When he got thrown in the fire his sophomore year,” former Allen offensive line coach Preston Gill said, “we’re like, man, Will can play.”

Sherman was supremely athletic and had long arms to create leverage with his blocks, and he held his own against high-level competition. When he saw Murray, Little and Evans get courted by Power Five programs, Sherman also set his sights on Division I football.

He devoted himself to that goal.

“When he got a taste of that, that’s all he wanted to do,” Gill said.

Gambill took over as head coach during Sherman’s senior year in 2016 and was immediately struck by his left tackle’s dedication.

“I was very impressed very quickly with him because of how athletic he was,” Gambill said. “He could run. He was physical. More importantly, he was coachable. If you want to continue to improve, I don’t care who you are – Will Sherman or Tom Brady – you’ve got to be able to be coached. He is very, very coachable.

“When Will Sherman was playing, our offensive line was extremely good. He anchored it, and he was really, really good. From a coaching standpoint, you know when you walk out on the field, hey, we’re going to be OK because of players like him.”

Colorado offensive coordinator Darrin Chiaverini was on a recruiting trip in Texas that year when he stopped in Allen and heard Sherman wasn’t getting the attention that he deserved. Chiaverini then watched Sherman’s tape and became impressed by his athleticism and versatility.

He liked the way Sherman got down the field on screens, how he didn’t need extra help against high-caliber rushers and believed Sherman had plenty of room for growth to reach his high ceiling. So Chiaverini called Sherman to offer a scholarship.

“You never saw Will just flat-out get beat,” Chiaverini said.

Sherman redshirted as a freshman in 2017 to add more weight. By 2018, it wasn’t a stretch to call him their best offensive lineman, so he started at left tackle.

“He came in with better technique than some of the rest of us as freshmen,” Colorado center Colby Pursell said. “That was evident, and it was made even more evident because he could back it up with athleticism. So not only could he execute better technique, he could do it more athletically.”

Sherman was also relentless with his film study. He constantly studied the opposition’s best edge defenders to get a feel for their rush moves and how they defend the run, and it helped Sherman’s ability to counter them during games.

“He loves to know what they’re going to do before they do it,” Pursell said.

Chiaverini added, “I think that’s why he’ll play a long time in the NFL, just because of his knowledge of defenses.”

Sherman transitioned to right tackle in 2019 because Arlington Hambright transferred from Oklahoma State. Sherman was athletic enough to kick across the line, and his transition allowed the coaches to get their five best linemen on the field at once.

After Hambright was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the seventh round, Sherman returned to left tackle in 2020, and he looked more natural at the position. He was also likely hampered by the yearly turnover on Colorado’s staff, including three offensive line coaches in three years.

But he always got by with his athleticism, wingspan and study habits. When offensive line coach Mitch Rodrigue missed a game last season due to COVID-19 protocols, graduate assistant Donovan Williams took over his duties, and Williams actually leaned on Sherman throughout the game. Sherman gave him feedback from the field and discussed possible adjustments.

“He carried himself like a professional,” Williams said. “He was very mature for his age.”

As Sherman decided to forego his senior season and enter the draft, teams were split on him as a tackle or guard. Scouts who spoke to Colorado’s coaches acknowledged the 6-foot-3, 304-pounder was big enough to play guard – where he practiced throughout his time in college – athletic enough to line up at tackle and smart enough to do both.

So far, the Patriots have shown him at tackle. Isaiah Wynn and Trent Brown are locked in as the starters with Justin Herron as the top backup left tackle and starting left guard Mike Onwenu — found in the sixth round of the 2020 draft — as the top backup on the right side. Sherman appears to be competing with Korey Cunningham for the next spot on the depth chart.

“He’s a good tackle. We know that,” Pursell said. “You’ve seen it on film.” There’s also a long-term element to keep in mind. Wynn is signed through 2022, and Brown is only under contract for this season. Even if Sherman doesn’t factor into the mix as a rookie, the Patriots would like to see him at least become a developmental prospect.

However it shakes out, Sherman has a line of former coaches and teammates who know he’ll put in the work to maximize his ability.

“Will was a team guy,” Gambill said. “The players loved him. One of the greatest things I think most of his teammates would say, he was a great teammate. What more could you have from an accomplishment standpoint? Yeah, there are accolades and awards. But if your teammates tell you that you’re a great teammate, what more could you ask for?

“The Allen Eagles are proud of him. What another great opportunity (with the Patriots). Whether he plays one season or eight seasons or however many, I’ll never forget the young man and what he did for our program and what he did for myself just by being around him. He’s going to make you a better person. He’s going to make you a better coach. He’s going to make you a better football team.”

I thought the old scoreboard was big - this new one is massive!

E4pI7AeWQAMSpQH

I thought the old scoreboard was big - this new one is massive!

E4pI7AeWQAMSpQH

This makes me wonder if RKK is stinging over the recent article in "Touchdown Wire" that ranked Gillette as
number 23 out of 32 and is shooting for an update.

The author didn't like the "open end zone" concept, the lack of a downtown backdrop, our weather or the fan participation.

I'd provide a link, but that garbage doesn't deserve the hits. Google it if you want a want a good laugh.

This makes me wonder if RKK is stinging over the recent article in "Touchdown Wire" that ranked Gillette as

The author didn't like the "open end zone" concept, the lack of a downtown backdrop, our weather or the fan participation.

I'd provide a link, but that garbage doesn't deserve the hits. Google it if you want a want a good laugh.
The author can stare at our 6 banners and cry himself a river.

It must be a pretty shitty stadium when it was opened 19 years ago and most NFL teams with new stadiums have been copying the format ever since. :rolleyes:

It must be a pretty shitty stadium when it was opened 19 years ago and most NFL teams with new stadiums have been copying the format ever since. :rolleyes:
I will admit that the "open end zone" thing does kill some of the crowd noise, but on a cold night when the Pats are putting somebody
away I doubt any opponent would think "well this is a mild crowd reaction-- we should rally now". I think the noise level has improved, but if there
were walls at the end it would be deafening.

Yeah, I remember when Jerry Jones stuck to Bob like a remora on a whale shark for a couple of weeks while he picked his brain about
how to build his new digs outside of Big D. That's like an architect going to Paris to study Notre Dame and then using what he learned
to build the world's most inspiring whorehouse. Jerrah then showed his gratitude by demanding that the Commissioner bend us over
every chance he got. Gets.

Whenever I hear what it cost to build some of the new age NFL Xanadus, I think about Kraft ducking all the dinner plates Myra threw at
his head when he told her he wanted to mortgage the family next egg on a stadium.

325 million is less than the people who built LA's SoFi stadium spent on their video board, which is named......wait for it..... "The Occulus". Please, child.

That stadium cost somewhere around 18 times what ours did. People can rank Gillette wherever they want -- it might not look like the Mothership
from Close Encounters, but I like sitting in it to watch football and nobody got more bang for the buck. So, the end zones aren't enclosed. I'll
yell louder.

Great news! I was told last night this is definitely coming back. Teams can use two different helmets starting in the 2022 season. About time!!
Who remembers 59-0?

E4q4T_VXwAgZ7vH

This year we'll see the silver pants again with the dark blue jerseys.

Last edited:
Great news! I was told last night this is definitely coming back. Teams can use two different helmets starting in the 2022 season. About time!!
Who remembers 59-0?

E4q4T_VXwAgZ7vH

This year we'll see the silver pants again with the dark blue jerseys.
Nothing would please me more. I suppose it would too much to hope for to have that hideous combination of navy blue jerseys and pants together.permanently shit-canned...

Back