Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Most of these guys can't walk by 50, they have severe obesity issues because they carried an ungodly amount of weight during their career, and CTE is also a bit of an impediment to a lifetime of working.
Statistics suggest that up to 78% of NFL players go bankrupt or fall into severe financial stress within just two years of retirement. For basketball players, the figures are only slightly better at 60% of financial ruin within five years of retirement.May 3, 2021

Statistics suggest that up to 78% of NFL players go bankrupt or fall into severe financial stress within just two years of retirement. For basketball players, the figures are only slightly better at 60% of financial ruin within five years of retirement.May 3, 2021

Sports leagues around the world don't tend to teach their players how to be financially responsible once they hit big time. The NFL in particular tends to have a lot of players who have come from living in circumstances that at times seem close to poverty, and when these guys finally have more money than they could have dreamed of as a child, they spend it.

I don't mean this as an excuse, but most pro athletes don't come from money, they suddenly find themselves making millions and start spending like that gravy train is going to keep rolling. They take out mortgages and buy cars, then they get cut, the money stops and it gets ugly fast. I recall when T.O. had his reality show and he was sitting with his wife/girl friend saying "we ain't got no money", now that was reality.

they are given life and financial advice, or were at the rookie symposium. i thought that was a good idea. not sure if they still do that. coming from a shitty background can be why you don't know things. but if you fail to take the advice proffered, that's a "you" problem and i have 0 sympathy.

they are given life and financial advice, or were at the rookie symposium. i thought that was a good idea. not sure if they still do that. coming from a shitty background can be why you don't know things. but if you fail to take the advice proffered, that's a "you" problem and i have 0 sympathy.

I think the NFL could and should do more to teach these guys how to handle their money. I've heard stories of guys opening checking accounts and bouncing checks left and right because they didn't know they had to deposit money into the account to cover the checks. Remember the Dez Bryant stories of buying all kinds of expensive jewelry using credit after he signed with the Cowboys? He didn't know how to pay for it! Personal finance is very basic and many don't understand how it works. They need more help, imo.

Buy a fast food restaurant or car dealership sit back and pay someone else to run it.
Problem solved lol.

Seriously though I get tired of the argument that football destroys these guys body’s. I’ve been in construction all my life. I know plenty of masons, and other tradesmen who are totally broken down physically from a lifetime of actual work and still pushing through for 30,000 a year. Life is hard and you do what you have to to get by. We’ve become so spoiled in this country it’s unreal.

i have zero issue with guys trying to get top dollar within reasonable methods, or leaving their team for money, etc. but why should their nfl career have to be enough for the rest of their lives? are they not capable of having a different job after they retire from the nfl? i'll have probably been working over 50 years total when i retire.
Many won't be able to work after all of the concussions that lead to even worse things after that.

I can't bring myself to feel sorry for people like that...unpossible. Maybe they were scammed by family, friends, gold diggers, unscrupulous financial advisors, etc. Still though, they initially had the millions beforehand. Also, if they're really good players, they can always use their likeness and sign moar memorabilia like Gomer Manning does if/when they go bankrupt. :coffee:

Buy a fast food restaurant or car dealership sit back and pay someone else to run it.
Problem solved lol.

Seriously though I get tired of the argument that football destroys these guys body’s. I’ve been in construction all my life. I know plenty of masons, and other tradesmen who are totally broken down physically from a lifetime of actual work and still pushing through for 30,000 a year. Life is hard and you do what you have to to get by. We’ve become so spoiled in this country it’s unreal.

Your construction buddies aren't getting hit in the head over and over resulting in their brains becoming like a pate when they're in their 20s.

Problem solved lol.

Agreed. Almost every job that I had before self-employment were on the top 10 most dangerous jobs list. Construction is no joke. I've done that for a bit. Demo/d buildings, jackhammer, wet saw, concrete, tamper, set up/tear down the old style concrete forms, etc. Those jobs were only for construction too.

No we are not making excuses. To take away PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. It's not the NFL job to manage their money . They all know the Risks & dangers of playing this game. ESPN 30 for 30 did a great documentary on it.

Last edited:
No we are not making excuses. To take away PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. It's not the NFL job to manage their finance's . They all know the Risks & dangers of playing this game.

No, it's not their job but I always helped the employees in any way I could manage who we were helping my company be productive, professional, and profitable. Just seems like the right thing to do if you value your employees.

Kobe wrote up a wonderful Letter to his 17-Year old self a few years ago. Hated him as Laker but principles before personalities, right? And he sure did learn some pretty good lessons and had major regrets on where much of his early money had gone.

I was really impressed by the maturity he developed here. I always looked at him as the 17-year-old HS kid. :)

No we are not making excuses. To take away PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. It's not the NFL job to manage their money . They all know the Risks & dangers of playing this game. ESPN 30 for 30 did a great documentary on it.
The NFL has many programs that would help new player avoid the financial problems they could face

The NFL has many programs that would help new player avoid the financial problems they could face
Thats a good thing. They are offering those services . It still up to player . To handle their finances. Unless they hire a money manager. I dont feel sorry for them. If they're being Foolish with their money . Once the season or their career over.

Last edited:
Love it but according to at least one on here Bill needs to change his organizational philosophy. Seriously? His team is fundamentally and on purpose a Swiss Army Knife.
Having a top 5 or 10 receiver only adds to the versatility.

Having a top 5 or 10 receiver only adds to the versatility.

Is he versatile? Don't know many that are that great at switching up stuff that are ranked that high.

Reality check: Patriots aren’t going to have a very good QB in 2021​

By Andy Hart

It’s really way too early to tell who is going to be the Patriots starting quarterback this season.
(You’re welcome. And please send all appreciative gifts to WEEI directed to Captain Obvious.)

Through two days of “training camp” – the action of a couple sessions on the practice fields behind Gillette Stadium has been in shorts and t-shirts, at times less competitive than a pre-COVID buffet line – there have been reports of plenty of ups and downs for both returning veteran Cam Newton and upstart No. 15 overall pick Mac Jones.

The rep-by-rep, blow-by-blow chronicling of New England’s first real training camp quarterback competition since the pre-Drew Bledsoe days three decades ago is all anyone in Patriot Nation seems to care about these days.

So far we’ve learned, again, that Jones is one of the first guys on the field, has more swagger than teammates expected, gets the ball out in a relatively timely Patriots-like fashion and, well, looks like an inconsistent young quarterback with a lot to prove.
And Newton? Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but he brings unique energy and personality to the practice field, has a rather ugly throwing motion and, well, looks like an inconsistent aging quarterback with a lot to prove.

So while it’s really way too early to handicap the Patriots quarterback competition after a couple days of far-from-real football workouts in late July, it’s feeling more and more that there is a indeed at least one real certainty at the position.

Hate to break it to everyone and ruin your summah!!!!!, but the Patriots are not going to have a very good quarterback this fall.
No matter how much time reporters spending meaninglessly charting each meaningless throw from Jones and Newton, the harsh reality for the here and now is that New England has two mediocre-at-best options competitively battling it out for the starting QB job. And it’s not one of those neck-and-neck competitions where a coach is waiting for one guy to slip up or fade in order to make his decision. Nope, this is the kind of real competition that isn’t real good.

Cliché alert from Captain Obvious!!!!!

If you have two quarterbacks, then you really don’t have one.

For 30 years it didn’t really matter what the throws looked like in training camp. Nope. Overthrown bombs, batted balls or suspect swing passes were irrelevant to some degree because Brady was entrenched in the job. And Bledsoe before him.
Now those details are similarly irrelevant but for the opposite reason. Whether it’s Newton or Jones, Jones or Newton, neither is going to play like the memory of Brady that’s still fresh in our minds. Or Bledsoe.
Or even the middle-of-the-road starting QBs in one of the other 31 NFL cities that we’ve mocked from afar for years, like say Andy Dalton.

Bill Belichick will indeed pick a guy to start at some point. Either Newton or Jones will take the initial snap on Sept. 12 against Miami. The season will be off and running.

But there is a stark difference between sending out a guy to start a game and truly having a starting-caliber quarterback. If we’re being real, being honest and being real honest it’s becoming clear the Patriots will lack consistent, competitive, contributing QB play for the second post-Brady year in a row.

Sure the production might be better. Maybe either Newton or Jones will surpass the lowly, ugly, worst-in-three-decades eight TD passes from last year’s dismal offense. Maybe there will be marginally more success through the air in some semblance of an aerial attack that’s actually NFL-worthy. After all, the bar was set pretty low a year ago.
Maybe it will even lead to more wins, which in the new 17-game format could still be a sub-.500 record.
There really is reason to have great hope at a lot of positions across the Patriots roster in 2021. There are a lot of spots where things could be truly impressive.

New England may have a really, really good defense this fall.
The new tight ends could be a revelation, maybe even party worthy.
Damien Harris may indeed be a developing workhorse runner who can be the centerpiece of an offense.

But the QB position and competition that everyone is writing, talking and reading about these days?
Sorry, but that’s probably not going to be very good regardless of who wins the job in the end.

Back