Looking at the Patriots - 2021

Add in Harry, Stidham and Durant and here's our roster

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1432785913738838020

I'm not sure I understand the PUP to Reserve/PUP rules. As I understand it, Gilmore went directly from PUP to reserve/PUP without having to be on the 53-man roster, but Stidham cannot? Is it because Gilmore is vested (+4 years)?

Also, when can Harry go on IR and return this season? Only after Game One? If so, that means we play the Dolphins with only one QB on the roster? Meyers to be the backup?

I'm not sure I understand the PUP to Reserve/PUP rules. As I understand it, Gilmore went directly from PUP to reserve/PUP without having to be on the 53-man roster, but Stidham cannot? Is it because Gilmore is vested (+4 years)?

Also, when can Harry go on IR and return this season? Only after Game One? If so, that means we play the Dolphins with only one QB on the roster? Meyers to be the backup?

Players on IR can return after missing 3 games. IR returns are unlimited this year.

If a player is designated for the PUP list at the start of the season, the NFL's rules dictate that he must sit out for at least six weeks. Then, teams will have a window of five weeks to decide whether that player can start practicing. If he does not practice within those five weeks, or isn't activated to the 53-man roster within 21 days after he begins practicing again, the player will have the stay placed on the PUP list for the rest of the season.

Gilmore and Stidham were put on PUP and have to miss 6 games. I don't think either count against the 53 now.
Harry can come back anytime; he's day to day.

Players on IR can return after missing 3 games. IR returns are unlimited this year.

If a player is designated for the PUP list at the start of the season, the NFL's rules dictate that he must sit out for at least six weeks. Then, teams will have a window of five weeks to decide whether that player can start practicing. If he does not practice within those five weeks, or isn't activated to the 53-man roster within 21 days after he begins practicing again, the player will have the stay placed on the PUP list for the rest of the season.

Gilmore and Stidham were put on PUP and have to miss 6 games. I don't think either count against the 53 now.
Harry can come back anytime; he's day to day.

Thanks. I read that link, and many others, but all were undefinative about timing. In the article above, for instance, they said:

If a player is placed on the active/PUP list, he can be activated at any time during training camp. Once the regular season starts, they must either be activated or moved to the reserve/PUP list.

Okay, but when does the regualr season start? After cutdown waivers and when the first game starts?

What you said fits what is happening, and I appreciate you and others who know the rules :toast:

You should expect some roster manipulation today, some players going to IR, and other players added. Hoyer will most likely be on the team by tomorrow.

Thanks. I read that link, and many others, but all were undefinative about timing. In the article above, for instance, they said:

If a player is placed on the active/PUP list, he can be activated at any time during training camp. Once the regular season starts, they must either be activated or moved to the reserve/PUP list.

Okay, but when does the regualr season start? After cutdown waivers and when the first game starts?

What you said fits what is happening, and I appreciate you and others who know the rules :toast:

That is a bit ambiguous. Last cutdowns is your answer. It's to prevent teams from using PUP to keep players off the 53 without paying a penalty. In this case it's 6 games.

Thanks, but I'm still not getting it.
Say at 4:01 said player is still a free agent, can't he be claimed? Or is it considered different form of signing? Waivers vs free agent?
No. As chev said at 4:01 he's a free agent.

PFF's All Rookie Team based on preseason

QB Mac Jones, New England Patriots

The newly-minted starter. His new role, and his spot on this list, should come as no surprise if you watched the Alabama product this preseason. He was the highest-graded rookie quarterback at 92.2 overall and the highest-graded preseason quarterback since 2013. Jones was accurate and efficient, finishing with an 81.6% adjusted completion percentage and no turnover-worthy plays.

Highest PFF passing grades by rookie quarterbacks in the preseason (since 2015, min. 60 dropbacks)​

NameTeamSeasonPFF passing grade
Mac JonesPatriots202192.2
Patrick MahomesChiefs201791.8
Alex McGoughSeahawks201887.8
Baker MayfieldBrowns201883.4
Dak PrescottCowboys201683.1

RB Rhamondre Stevenson, New England Patriots

The Patriots couldn’t have looked much better with the quarterback and running back they drafted this year. Stevenson finished with 13 broken tackles on only 30 carries this preseason. Five of those 30 carries ended in a touchdown, and five more moved the chains. The only blemish on his resume was a lost fumble against the Eagles, but the sheer dominance on the ground makes up for that.

DI Christian Barmore, New England Patriots

Barmore flashed more as a pass-rusher this preseason than any recent Patriots defensive tackle. He recorded two pressures and two other pass-rush wins on only 15 pass-rushing snaps. While he only earned a 54.9 run-defense grade, that pass-rushing prowess is why he got drafted where he did.

The rest of the AFC East

TE Kenny Yeboah, New York Jets

Yeboah gave us one of the highlights of the preseason with his Hail Mary score this past weekend. He finished with 106 yards to lead all rookie tight ends on six catches. But more importantly to his playing time in New York, Yeboah finished with a 74.8 run-blocking grade. For an undersized receiving tight end, that’s a good start.

G Jack Anderson, Buffalo Bills

There were some serious question marks at guard for Buffalo this offseason, so Anderson’s emergence is a welcome sight for the Bills' brass. The Texas Tech product fell to the seventh round before earning a 76.1 run-blocking grade and 71.8 pass-blocking grade this preseason.

He's the next Rob Parker...
I am going to get deep here because I think there is a much larger narrative going on here than just Bill is an average coach IMO. There are a lot of former players, especially defensive players who feel they got minimized during our championship years because Bill got all the credit for being a defensive guru and they were seen as just plug and play, system players. When I hear Asante talk that is what he is getting at and I think he is speaking for many players not just himself.

With Brady winning last year, many of them have started chirping because Brady with his success in Tampa has validated their stance that it was not ALL Bill. That it truly was the players. That is what Asante is really getting at IMO. Many of the players feel slighted especially from the 00s teams and they feel this is their time to highlight it was the players that were winning those years not the coaches. Again, JMO but I think that is the the deeper sentiment being expressed.

I am going to get deep here because I think there is a much larger narrative going on here than just Bill is an average coach IMO. There are a lot of former players, especially defensive players who feel they got minimized during our championship years because Bill got all the credit for being a defensive guru and they were seen as just plug and play, system players. When I hear Asante talk that is what he is getting at and I think he is speaking for many players not just himself.

With Brady winning last year, many of them have started chirping because Brady with his success in Tampa has validated their stance that it was not ALL Bill. That it truly was the players. That is what Asante is really getting at IMO. Many of the players feel slighted especially from the 00s teams and they feel this is their time to highlight it was the players that were winning those years not the coaches. Again, JMO but I think that is the the deeper sentiment being expressed.
I could somewhat agree with that POV...but, A$$ante could have put his angst in better words and stuff. :coffee:

A couple of players who have an axe to grind just don't sound valid to me. I've heard too many players talk about BB and how he runs things in glowing terms - McGinest, Harrison, Heath Evans, Bryan Cox - new players, older players - without reservation.

Asante has been chirping for a while. Big effing deal. He has an axe to grind. Who else is chirping? Why do believe anything Asante has to say? I think you should wait for other players to come forth before you jump on that bandwagon. "Many of the players feel slighted"? Name some who have spoken out, otherwise you're simply carrying your hate for BB in public with nothing to back up your opinion. IOW, it's you being your old self.

A couple of players who have an axe to grind just don't sound valid to me. I've heard too many players talk about BB and how he runs things in glowing terms - McGinest, Harrison, Heath Evans, Bryan Cox - new players, older players - without reservation.

Asante has been chirping for a while. Big effing deal. He has an axe to grind. Who else is chirping? Why do believe anything Asante has to say? I think you should wait for other players to come forth before you jump on that bandwagon. "Many of the players feel slighted"? Name some who have spoken out, otherwise you're simply carrying your hate for BB in public with nothing to back up your opinion. IOW, it's you being your old self.
This was just from a 5 minute google search.

Ted Johnson

Danny Amendola

Dion Lewis

Nate Solder

Gronk

Chris Long

Cassius Marsh

Back