Looking At The Patriots 2022

Damning on the offensive coaching staff.

Starting to look like Bill made a mistake with these two. Not a snap judgement of mine, I have been both giving them time to learn and adjust and grow while fighting off this feeling as the games have gone by. I am sure there is much more, but this video may be the perfect example.

I hope I am wrong or that Bill takes over as Chev expressed.

I really don't enjoy these late games and especially not after Thanksgiving dinner.

FhtscymXEAEu76r
I love the night game. I am shuffling between two houses during the day with little time for football. I'll be home by 8 and relaxing just in time for Pats. With how good the Vikes are it should be an awesome game!

I think Orlovsky is over simplifying and dramatizing here with a dash of cherry picking thrown in. Issues? Yes, but they're not as pervasive as he makes it appear.

Part of a receiver's job is to be ready for the ball when & where the QB needs to deliver it. That means he's gained some separation, he's where he's supposed to be and he's paying attention so the QB knows he can throw the ball without worry of an int. Meyers shines at this. All that is on the WR. Everything speeds up and often breaks down when the OL can't protect well. QB protection is critical. Give Mac 4 secs of a clean pocket and he'll complete almost every pass. Timing and syncing takes practice and requires QB protection.

Spacing, otoh, is normally on the play designer and should have been worked out in TC and preseason games. What I'm seeing is receivers who aren't consistently following the play design which causes the spacing issues. That's on the players (and coaches, indirectly) rather than on the play design. That should be able to be fixed, first in the classroom with some individual testing and then on the field with full speed practices to get the QB and WRs on the same page consistently. I'm sure every team works on syncing, timing and spacing every day in practice.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1592269103649243139

Last edited:
I think Orlovsky is over simplifying and dramatizing here with a dash of cherry picking thrown in. Issues? Yes, but they're not as pervasive as he makes it appear.

Part of a receiver's job is to be ready for the ball when & where the QB needs to deliver it. That means he's gained some separation, he's where he's supposed to be and he's paying attention so the QB knows he can throw the ball without worry of an int. Meyers shines at this. All that is on the WR. Everything speeds up and often breaks down when the OL can't protect well. QB protection is critical. Give Mac 4 secs of a clean pocket and he'll complete almost every pass. Timing and syncing takes practice and requires QB protection.

Spacing, otoh, is normally on the play designer and should have been worked out in TC and preseason games. What I'm seeing is receivers who aren't consistently following the play design which causes the spacing issues. That's on the players (and coaches, indirectly) rather than on the play design. That should be able to be fixed, first in the classroom with some individual testing and then on the field with full speed practices to get the QB and WRs on the same page consistently. I'm sure every team works on syncing, timing and spacing every day in practice.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1592269103649243139

Agree on the QB protection.

That said, at this point in the season the COACHES should have identified issues and corrected them. Players need coaches to DIRECT them. Patricia isn't running routes (or running anywhere) so he is a coach and here we are after spring, TC, exhibition and 10 weeks of games and unless he decided to do something dramatically different during the bye week the coaches have not fixed this. That is on them.

Every player on the offense has played better somewhere in a more successful offense before Patricia took over.

I hope we see the needed dramatic changes against the Jests.

Agree on the QB protection.

That said, at this point in the season the COACHES should have identified issues and corrected them. Players need coaches to DIRECT them. Patricia isn't running routes (or running anywhere) so he is a coach and here we are after spring, TC, exhibition and 10 weeks of games and unless he decided to do something dramatically different during the bye week the coaches have not fixed this. That is on them.

Every player on the offense has played better somewhere in a more successful offense before Patricia took over.

I hope we see the needed dramatic changes against the Jests.

Agreed and I said that, too. "What I'm seeing is receivers who aren't consistently following the play design which causes the spacing issues. That's on the players (and coaches, indirectly) rather than on the play design."

Look at Meyer's statement again. He tells us sometimes receivers are undisciplined and do their own thing. "It's little details." It's not all on the coaches. The receivers share in the dysfunction. Interesting to me that came from Meyers, perhaps the only WR who shows discipline to run the route as designed.

It's amazing to read through this thread. The one thing that always separated the Patriots the last 20+ years was coaching and now it is the main reason the team is struggling.

As an aside, I don't agree it is all coaching. I am more with Tommy on this. I see a lot of regression from Mac compared to last year. Some of that for sure is coaching but a lot is him. It is not uncommon for second year QBs to have a slump. The question is can he work his way out of it and does he have the right coaches to help him.

Agreed and I said that, too. "What I'm seeing is receivers who aren't consistently following the play design which causes the spacing issues. That's on the players (and coaches, indirectly) rather than on the play design."

Look at Meyer's statement again. He tells us sometimes receivers are undisciplined and do their own thing. "It's little details." It's not all on the coaches. The receivers share in the dysfunction. Interesting to me that came from Meyers, perhaps the only WR who shows discipline to run the route as designed.

I get what you are saying here and on an individual person basis or individual issue basis if teh player isn't doing what they have been coached to do it is on the player - at the beginning. So we agree there. However, when the issues persist and the coaches don't correct it, whether that be via additional coaching and/or a change in scheme then it lies with the coaches. It has been 7 months and basic issues like WR spacing persist. This is why I made the point that:

"Every player on the offense has played better somewhere in a more successful offense, before Patricia took over.". This is both here last year and on other teams under different coaches. The players can be successful (That is why BB paid them) but are struggling under Patricia. Coaching is the issue here IMO. 7 months.

I get what you are saying here and on an individual person basis or individual issue basis if teh player isn't doing what they have been coached to do it is on the player - at the beginning. So we agree there. However, when the issues persist and the coaches don't correct it, whether that be via additional coaching and/or a change in scheme then it lies with the coaches. It has been 7 months and basic issues like WR spacing persist. This is why I made the point that:

"Every player on the offense has played better somewhere in a more successful offense, before Patricia took over.". This is both here last year and on other teams under different coaches. The players can be successful (That is why BB paid them) but are struggling under Patricia. Coaching is the issue here IMO. 7 months.
I told people last year that we would miss Josh.

(the below comment is shamelessly stolen and copypasta'd here)

If “Fever Pitch” was the bill we had to pay for the 2004 World Series, this is the devil’s payment for the Patriots dynasty. 🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

I saw that as well and I think that Meyers rarely cuts his routes short, etc. Mark of a good locker room leader to notice what needs fixing and then talk like he himself needs to play better and why. I really hope the Pats re-sign him.

Seems funny enough, I guess, but what's the market for this?

View: https://twitter.com/LightsCameraPod/status/1593246343170228228

I'll pass. I know it's been over 50 years since Jane Fonda took pictures of herself looking through the gunsight in a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun emplacement, and then covering her ears as they fired. It's ancient history and I'm sure she's a fine person and all that and harbor no ill will at all, but I still don't care much for her.

I'll pass. I know it's been over 50 years since Jane Fonda took pictures of herself looking through the gunsight in a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun emplacement, and then covering her ears as they fired. It's ancient history and I'm sure she's a fine person and all that and harbor no ill will at all, but I still don't care much for her.

I harbor much ill will against her. She is a traitor to the USA.

Back