Looking At The Patriots 2022

Food for thought....

Mac Jones spent almost everyday during the past off season at Gillette with the trainers. When he wasn't there, he was working with Tom House on his delivery mechanics. He lost every bit of his body fat, has actually grown a half inch and is stronger than 2021. During the mini camp last week, he was dead nuts accurate on all of his long passes.

Here's the cherry on top. The best WR in camp last week was Tre Nixon who did not miss or drop a pass and caught two 50+ bombs from Mac. Even BB was impressed with the work he's done on his game.

Marcus Jones was promoted from the backups to the starting team at CB. The 4th Round pick in 2022 had an INT and a forced fumble on the final day. Malcolm and J. Jones have some real competition. He also returns punts and kickoffs.

N'Keal Harry has just about been sent to clean the toilets. expect a trade for a box of Krispy Kremes and a 2045 eleventh round pick.

Dalton Keene couldn't stay on the field last year. The third round TE is already on the boo-boo list and will be cleaning the showerheads.

Watch for trades:

Josh McDaniels wants Damien Harris. Look for Bill to make a deal that will also include Nelson Agholor. Don't know what Bill will get in return but me thinks OT Brandon Parker and a third or fourth round pick would be a starting point. That would give him the cap space to sign the 2022 draft and bring back Tre Flowers.

From Evan Lazar

In my five seasons covering the team, I’ve never seen the Pats hold two-straight days of practice without run periods featuring a fullback and pulling guards. It was a completely different look.

When we asked him about it on Wednesday, longtime Patriots center David Andrews chalked up the zone-heavy run periods to finding an offensive identity with this group or experimenting to find out what the Pats personnel does best.

As the Patriots streamline their offensive terminology and break in a green coaching staff, modifying the scheme to feature more zone concepts and bootleg-action jive with the goal to simplify things.

Typically, zone-based systems such as Sean McVay’s Rams or Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers make life easier on everyone compared to Josh McDaniels’s complex scheme that we’ve seen over the last decade.

An outside zone and bootleg play-action foundation make things more straightforward on the offensive line and receivers from a mental standpoint. Those schemes are also simplified for top offensive assistants Joe Judge and Matt Patricia, who are relatively new to coaching offense.

Another possible reason for the shift is getting New England’s skill players into more space to hit explosive plays, especially draft picks Tyquan Thornton and Pierre Strong, rather than the phone booth offense that heavier formations and power blocking schemes create (no more four yards and a cloud of dust. Let’s get into space and go).

It’s unlikely that the Patriots will abandon their power runs completely. But the fullback, as Jakob Johnson told German media after signing with the Raiders, is gone. And it appears we’ll see fewer pullers as lead blockers for the Pats this season.

There will still be skeptics questioning the Patricia-Judge-led coaching staff and an undecided offensive play-caller (although Patricia looks like the front-runner to call plays).

However, between Mac Jones’s improvements, the overall direction of the scheme, and enough depth at the skill positions to offer optimism, it’s easy to like where the Patriots’ offense is heading.

From this perspective, there are far more concerns about the defensive outlook in the early stages.

NOTES ON THE PATRIOTS DEFENSE

– Disclaimer: evaluating defense is difficult in a non-contact setting. How do you assess defensive players without tackling and real resistance from blockers? We won’t jump to any grand conclusions based on OTAs and minicamp.

– If the season were starting on Sunday, here is how I’d expect the Patriots’ defense to align:

Weakside Edge: Josh Uche
Defensive End: Christian Barmore/Deatrich Wise
Nose Tackle: Davon Godchaux
Defensive End: Lawrence Guy
Strong-Side Edge: Matthew Judon
Mike Linebacker: Ja’Whaun Bentley
Will Linebacker: Raekwon Mcmillan/Kyle Dugger/Adrian Phillips
Cornerback: Jalen Mills/Malcolm Butler
Strong Safety: Kyle Dugger/Adrian Phillips
Free Safety: Devin McCourty
Cornerback: Terrance Mitchell/Jack Jones
Slot Corner: Jonathan Jones

– The Patriots’ top inside linebackers were Ja’Whaun Bentley and Raekwon McMillan in most team drills. Trade acquisition Mack Wilson worked with the starters at times, while Josh Uche and Ronnie Perkins got some reps off the ball as well. Second-year linebacker Cameron McGrone worked almost exclusively with the scout team defense.

– The Pats are giving Uche, Perkins, and 2020 third-rounder Anfernee Jennings every opportunity to seize a starting role. You can tell the team is crossing its fingers that one of those three becomes an impact starter this season.

– Rookie cornerback Jack Jones had an up-and-down week, but he was getting opportunities to run with the starting defense and didn’t look totally out of place. His ball skills and fluidity in man coverage were standing out. He’s on track to contribute in his first season.

– Unless Jack Jones becomes an impact starter, the Patriots’ cornerback group is worrisome. Mills and Mitchell aren’t complete liabilities, but they aren’t shutting down anyone either. Mac Jones tore this cornerback group apart all week.

– Top slot corner Jonathan Jones was moving well but looked rusty when it came to playing the ball in the air. He was on the losing end of several Tre Nixon highlight-reel catches.

– Another player that you hope is just rusty is Malcolm Butler. He still had some signature feisty moments in coverage where he was ripping the ball out. But he had some issues staying in phase against the starting wide receivers.

– It’s early. But Shaun Wade moving inside to slot corner didn’t go very well this week. Wade could match up well with bigger slots but doesn’t have the explosive gear to hang with speedy slots.

– It feels like Kyle Dugger and Christian Barmore are on the cusp of becoming Pro Bowl-caliber players. Dugger is a ball-hawk who needs more opportunities to see ball, get ball. Barmore is picking up right where he left off as a rookie. He’s a force.

Lazar, another must-read...thanks chevss!

He points out that signs are that Matty P. will be the offensive play caller. Let me say right here that Patricia is in training but all play calls go through BB until he's comfortable with Patricia.
Period. If he's not comfortable with Patricia then look for Judge to have a try. If the season started today, it would be BB calling the plays and Patricia relaying them to Jones.

From Evan Lazar
I'm sorry, but apart from injury or exhaustion, under what circumstances would you rather have Wise on the field instead of Barmore? I'm not as down on Wise as some on this board (I'm looking at you, Hawg) but he's very much a JAG that is slightly above JAG-level at pass rush, but only for generating pressure, not actually getting sacks.

Also, I'm pretty bummed to hear that Shawn Wade doesn't look like he's going to make it. What happened to him? Just totally lost his mojo? I don't think he was ever the top 5-10 pick he was touted as 2 years ago, but I still expected to see the talent and the fight.

That said, I'm not too concerned about coverage as a whole, for a couple reasons: first, I expect at least one of them to step forward and really claim the CB1 job. But mostly it's that I think "Muh-muh-muh Mayo and the 'checks" can cover with scheme, and that there is so much talent and range at safety (and now LB) that it will expand the areas where they can get help, which allows them to cheat just a bit more on the margins. Our safety group looks just ridiculously good.

I would love to see someone push Bentley out of his job. McMillan stepping up is step 1. Then I want either McGrone or Wilson to lay claim to that other spot, and relegate Bentley to quality backup and a heavier sub for short yardage situations.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: don't count out Jennings. I hope Perkins and Uche take the roles, since I see more upside there, but Jennings can contribute and be a valuable piece. I hope.

Is this the year Slater doesn't make the roster?

He points out that signs are that Matty P. will be the offensive play caller. Let me say right here that Patricia is in training but all play calls go through BB until he's comfortable with Patricia.
Period. If he's not comfortable with Patricia then look for Judge to have a try. If the season started today, it would be BB calling the plays and Patricia relaying them to Jones.
I want it to be Matt rather than Joe. But how is Matt going to do everything he needs to do with the OL and still put in the time to really mind-meld with Mac on what he likes/dislikes, what he's seeing, feedback loops, etc? Plus, he'd be at field level, which is not ideal for seeing what the defense is doing positionally.

If it's Matt, he'll have to mind-meld with Joe, put Joe in the booth, and have an assistant almost exclusively handling the game-day OL stuff, like the direct coaching and those huddles Scar always had on the sidelines while the D was on the field.

It will be interesting, operationally speaking, and opens additional fail points in communication. I'm not panicked, but I'm eyeballing the risks.

I'm sorry, but apart from injury or exhaustion, under what circumstances would you rather have Wise on the field instead of Barmore? I'm not as down on Wise as some on this board (I'm looking at you, Hawg) but he's very much a JAG that is slightly above JAG-level at pass rush, but only for generating pressure, not actually getting sacks.

Also, I'm pretty bummed to hear that Shawn Wade doesn't look like he's going to make it. What happened to him? Just totally lost his mojo? I don't think he was ever the top 5-10 pick he was touted as 2 years ago, but I still expected to see the talent and the fight.

That said, I'm not too concerned about coverage as a whole, for a couple reasons: first, I expect at least one of them to step forward and really claim the CB1 job. But mostly it's that I think "Muh-muh-muh Mayo and the 'checks" can cover with scheme, and that there is so much talent and range at safety (and now LB) that it will expand the areas where they can get help, which allows them to cheat just a bit more on the margins. Our safety group looks just ridiculously good.

I would love to see someone push Bentley out of his job. McMillan stepping up is step 1. Then I want either McGrone or Wilson to lay claim to that other spot, and relegate Bentley to quality backup and a heavier sub for short yardage situations.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: don't count out Jennings. I hope Perkins and Uche take the roles, since I see more upside there, but Jennings can contribute and be a valuable piece. I hope.

Is this the year Slater doesn't make the roster?

To give a gassed Barmore a breather is the best answer I can give.
Bentley upped his game & played pretty well last year. Running plays only please.
I also have hopes for McMillan and McGrone as well as Uche.

I want it to be Matt rather than Joe. But how is Matt going to do everything he needs to do with the OL and still put in the time to really mind-meld with Mac on what he likes/dislikes, what he's seeing, feedback loops, etc? Plus, he'd be at field level, which is not ideal for seeing what the defense is doing positionally.

If it's Matt, he'll have to mind-meld with Joe, put Joe in the booth, and have an assistant almost exclusively handling the game-day OL stuff, like the direct coaching and those huddles Scar always had on the sidelines while the D was on the field.

It will be interesting, operationally speaking, and opens additional fail points in communication. I'm not panicked, but I'm eyeballing the risks.

I want it to be BB and I don't care who relays the plays to Jones.

Many teams have OC/play callers in the booth but BB hasn't done that (yet), preferring direct communication and feedback from players on the field. A lot of that feedback is lost when
the OC is in the booth.
What kind of feedback?
"I can beat my guy anytime", "I need a double move to shake my guy", "my guy is biting on PA", "I'd like help blocking this guy", etc.

Humphrey isn't little. He's 6'4", 225 but slow as molasses. 4.75 40. History of hammy issues. End zone threat bc of his size.
My guess is Payton gave a good word to BB. At the most I think he provides a tall WR for our smurfier CBs to learn to defend in camp.

View: https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1537120551113744384

FVT1LI0XwAAZGGw

From Evan Lazar

In my five seasons covering the team, I’ve never seen the Pats hold two-straight days of practice without run periods featuring a fullback and pulling guards. It was a completely different look.

When we asked him about it on Wednesday, longtime Patriots center David Andrews chalked up the zone-heavy run periods to finding an offensive identity with this group or experimenting to find out what the Pats personnel does best.

As the Patriots streamline their offensive terminology and break in a green coaching staff, modifying the scheme to feature more zone concepts and bootleg-action jive with the goal to simplify things.

Typically, zone-based systems such as Sean McVay’s Rams or Kyle Shanahan’s 49ers make life easier on everyone compared to Josh McDaniels’s complex scheme that we’ve seen over the last decade.

An outside zone and bootleg play-action foundation make things more straightforward on the offensive line and receivers from a mental standpoint. Those schemes are also simplified for top offensive assistants Joe Judge and Matt Patricia, who are relatively new to coaching offense.

Another possible reason for the shift is getting New England’s skill players into more space to hit explosive plays, especially draft picks Tyquan Thornton and Pierre Strong, rather than the phone booth offense that heavier formations and power blocking schemes create (no more four yards and a cloud of dust. Let’s get into space and go).

It’s unlikely that the Patriots will abandon their power runs completely. But the fullback, as Jakob Johnson told German media after signing with the Raiders, is gone. And it appears we’ll see fewer pullers as lead blockers for the Pats this season.

There will still be skeptics questioning the Patricia-Judge-led coaching staff and an undecided offensive play-caller (although Patricia looks like the front-runner to call plays).

However, between Mac Jones’s improvements, the overall direction of the scheme, and enough depth at the skill positions to offer optimism, it’s easy to like where the Patriots’ offense is heading.

From this perspective, there are far more concerns about the defensive outlook in the early stages.

NOTES ON THE PATRIOTS DEFENSE

– Disclaimer: evaluating defense is difficult in a non-contact setting. How do you assess defensive players without tackling and real resistance from blockers? We won’t jump to any grand conclusions based on OTAs and minicamp.

– If the season were starting on Sunday, here is how I’d expect the Patriots’ defense to align:

Weakside Edge: Josh Uche
Nose Tackle: Davon Godchaux
Defensive End: Lawrence Guy
Strong-Side Edge: Matthew Judon
Mike Linebacker: Ja’Whaun Bentley
Will Linebacker: Raekwon Mcmillan/Kyle Dugger/Adrian Phillips
Cornerback: Jalen Mills/Malcolm Butler
Strong Safety: Kyle Dugger/Adrian Phillips
Free Safety: Devin McCourty
Cornerback: Terrance Mitchell/Jack Jones
Slot Corner: Jonathan Jones

– The Patriots’ top inside linebackers were Ja’Whaun Bentley and Raekwon McMillan in most team drills. Trade acquisition Mack Wilson worked with the starters at times, while Josh Uche and Ronnie Perkins got some reps off the ball as well. Second-year linebacker Cameron McGrone worked almost exclusively with the scout team defense.

– The Pats are giving Uche, Perkins, and 2020 third-rounder Anfernee Jennings every opportunity to seize a starting role. You can tell the team is crossing its fingers that one of those three becomes an impact starter this season.

– Rookie cornerback Jack Jones had an up-and-down week, but he was getting opportunities to run with the starting defense and didn’t look totally out of place. His ball skills and fluidity in man coverage were standing out. He’s on track to contribute in his first season.

– Unless Jack Jones becomes an impact starter, the Patriots’ cornerback group is worrisome. Mills and Mitchell aren’t complete liabilities, but they aren’t shutting down anyone either. Mac Jones tore this cornerback group apart all week.

– Top slot corner Jonathan Jones was moving well but looked rusty when it came to playing the ball in the air. He was on the losing end of several Tre Nixon highlight-reel catches.

– Another player that you hope is just rusty is Malcolm Butler. He still had some signature feisty moments in coverage where he was ripping the ball out. But he had some issues staying in phase against the starting wide receivers.

– It’s early. But Shaun Wade moving inside to slot corner didn’t go very well this week. Wade could match up well with bigger slots but doesn’t have the explosive gear to hang with speedy slots.

– It feels like Kyle Dugger and Christian Barmore are on the cusp of becoming Pro Bowl-caliber players. Dugger is a ball-hawk who needs more opportunities to see ball, get ball. Barmore is picking up right where he left off as a rookie. He’s a force.

Unless Jack Jones becomes an impact starter, the Patriots’ cornerback group is worrisome. Mills and Mitchell aren’t complete liabilities, but they aren’t shutting down anyone either. Mac Jones tore this cornerback group apart all week.

Not at all surprising... :coffee:

Back