Looking At The Patriots 2022

The schedule makers didn't do us any favors.

FS94nSRX0AEhHsL

Mike Hurley tries to be positive about the Pats' roster despite the low standing Patriots players have around the league.

Only 2 Patriots players received votes in a recent poll of 50 anonymous executives, coaches, scouts and players from around the NFL after they had been asked to list the top 10 players at each position on the field. In the first 3 editions, the fact that no Patriots had even received a single vote stood out rather significantly.

Now, every position has been laid out, and in the 11 positions named, just two Patriots earned even one single vote at their position. Only one actually made it into a top 10. And of the 213 players who came to mind among those polled, just two were Patriots.

Those players were Hunter Henry, who came in as the 10th-best tight end in the NFL (via tiebreaker), and Jonnu Smith, who earned at least a vote but fell short of the top 10 and the honorable mentions.

On offense, the Patriots accounted for two of the 111 players to receive votes.

On defense, the Patriots accounted for zero of the 102 players to receive votes.

That's not great.

(For what it's worth, last year the Patriots had six players receiving votes and four landing on top 10 lists. Two were the tight ends -- Henry was No. 7, Smith was No. 9. Two were the cornerbacks who have since left, with Gilmore at No. 4 and Jackson at No. 10. Judon and Dont'a Hightower also each received votes at their respective positions.)

While the Patriots might have had some more representation if those polled had weighed in on punters and kickers, the overwhelming point is that around the league ... nobody thinks all that much of the New England Patriots.

In the olden Patriots days, that would have likely been used as a point of pride and inspiration for the players inside the locker room in New England. Now? Now it kind of feels like an accurate representation (of how the Patriots are viewed around the league).
--------------------------------------------------------------------

A few sub-par drafts in a row will do this to a team.
But Jeez, reading this leads me think BB used exceptional coaching and scheme to achieve a 10-7 record last year.
Imo, the Pats will be great again following a significant 2 yr turnaround which is coming in '23 and '24 because of the Patriots' favorable cap position for those years.

Mike Hurley tries to be positive about the Pats' roster despite the low standing Patriots players have around the league.

Only 2 Patriots players received votes in a recent poll of 50 anonymous executives, coaches, scouts and players from around the NFL after they had been asked to list the top 10 players at each position on the field. In the first 3 editions, the fact that no Patriots had even received a single vote stood out rather significantly.

Now, every position has been laid out, and in the 11 positions named, just two Patriots earned even one single vote at their position. Only one actually made it into a top 10. And of the 213 players who came to mind among those polled, just two were Patriots.

Those players were Hunter Henry, who came in as the 10th-best tight end in the NFL (via tiebreaker), and Jonnu Smith, who earned at least a vote but fell short of the top 10 and the honorable mentions.

On defense, the Patriots accounted for zero of the 102 players to receive votes.

That's not great.

(For what it's worth, last year the Patriots had six players receiving votes and four landing on top 10 lists. Two were the tight ends -- Henry was No. 7, Smith was No. 9. Two were the cornerbacks who have since left, with Gilmore at No. 4 and Jackson at No. 10. Judon and Dont'a Hightower also each received votes at their respective positions.)

While the Patriots might have had some more representation if those polled had weighed in on punters and kickers, the overwhelming point is that around the league ... nobody thinks all that much of the New England Patriots.

In the olden Patriots days, that would have likely been used as a point of pride and inspiration for the players inside the locker room in New England. Now? Now it kind of feels like an accurate representation (of how the Patriots are viewed around the league).

But Jeez, reading this leads me think BB used exceptional coaching and scheme to achieve a 10-7 record last year.
Imo, the Pats will be great again following a significant 2 yr turnaround which is coming in '23 and '24 because of the Patriots' favorable cap position for those years.

Judon’s stock around the league went down after last season?

Silly.

I don’t place much faith in these popularity contests.

Last edited:

That's not great.

So his list at the end wasn't a bad quick-take on guys who could have an argument made for them. But it's much more important who is likely to be top 10 at their position this year. I mean, Hightower, Smith, and Gilmore all made the list last year and none of them played close to it.

So which (if any) Patriots could reasonably be considered likely top 10 performers at their positions this year?

• #1 is Barmore (and imo, the only reason he wasn't there was lack of showcase, which is almost certain to be remedied this year)
  • Jones (top 10 level of play, though there is a bizarrely high number of high-end QBs right now.
  • Dugger
  • Harris and/or Stephenson, especially if one (or both!) of them starts to absorb the pass-catching RB role
  • Judon
  • Henry and/or Smith
  • Onwenu might...

So his list at the end wasn't a bad quick-take on guys who could have an argument made for them. But it's much more important who is likely to be top 10 at their position this year. I mean, Hightower, Smith, and Gilmore all made the list last year and none of them played close to it.

So which (if any) Patriots could reasonably be considered likely top 10 performers at their positions this year?

• #1 is Barmore (and imo, the only reason he wasn't there was lack of showcase, which is almost certain to be remedied this year)
  • Jones (top 10 level of play, though there is a bizarrely high number of high-end QBs right now.
  • Dugger
  • Harris and/or Stephenson, especially if one (or both!) of them starts to absorb the pass-catching RB role
  • Judon
  • Henry and/or Smith
  • Onwenu might...
The punter used to be good...

This type of stuff means nothing, at least to me. When you have players voting, i.e. for the Pro Bowl, history shows that they usually vote for friends, relatives, guys with reputations, etc. and put virtually no thought into it. My reading of the piece leads me to believe that Hurley agrees with the lack of regard for Patriot players. Good for him.

This type of stuff means nothing, at least to me. When you have players voting, i.e. for the Pro Bowl, history shows that they usually vote for friends, relatives, guys with reputations, etc. and put virtually no thought into it. My reading of the piece leads me to believe that Hurley agrees with the lack of regard for Patriot players. Good for him.
This plus, having top 10 guys is great and all, but this isn't basketball and having a deep solid middle and upper middle class is more important in the NFL, and I'm starting to believe that the Pats may have that.

Back