Looking At The Patriots 2022

Bucko Kilroy is most deserving of those three.

You're probably right but I worry about who knows it that actually has a vote.
Most of the old stalwarts who covered the NFL in his day are long gone. Maybe Polian, who is still voting, will pick up the fight for Kilroy.

I mean, who is left who remembers that Kilroy was responsible for persuading Tex Schramm, Clint Murchison & Gil Brandt that Roger Staubach was absolutely worth drafting in '64 despite the 4 yr military service wait?

Or that Kilroy ran the Patriots for 20+ years (from '71 til '93), went to a SB in '85 (screwed out of going to another) & lurked in the background as a scouting consultant from '94 to '06. Who remembers he had a big hand in drafting many of the players who began the 1st dynasty? 4 SBs and 3 wins is certainly HOF worthy but that was a while ago. Hell, drafting John Hannah was enough to get my vote if I had one. He definitely deserves to be in the HOF but I worry about these younger voters.

Last edited:
So yesterday while driving I said to my wife, just out of the blue, that training camp should be starting in a couple of weeks. I looked it up this morning and the 1st practice open to the public, is July 27th. Rookies usually report a few days earlier.
Football is not that far away boys and girls.

So yesterday while driving I said to my wife, just out of the blue, that training camp should be starting in a couple of weeks. I looked it up this morning and the 1st practice open to the public, is July 27th. Rookies usually report a few days earlier.
Football is not that far away boys and girls.
Can't wait for football.

Can wait for summer to end. Need moar sunshine!

You're probably right but I worry about who knows it that actually has a vote.
Most of the old stalwarts who covered the NFL in his day are long gone. Maybe Polian, who is still voting, will pick up the fight for Kilroy.

I mean, who is left who remembers that Kilroy was responsible for persuading Tex Schramm, Clint Murchison & Gil Brandt that Roger Staubach was absolutely worth drafting in '64 despite the 4 yr military service wait?

Or that Kilroy ran the Patriots for 20+ years (from '71 til '93), went to a SB in '85 (screwed out of going to another) & lurked in the background as a scouting consultant from '94 to '06. Who remembers he had a big hand in drafting many of the players who began the 1st dynasty? 4 SBs and 3 wins is certainly HOF worthy but that was a while ago. Hell, drafting John Hannah was enough to get my vote if I had one. He definitely deserves to be in the HOF but I worry about these younger voters.
He wasn't really in the background. He was not only the Shadow GM for Patrick, he also was a liason for Berry's coaching staff to the back office and the stadium employees - he helped make that bunch of amateurs into a professional organization, and got everyone on board.

Everyone from Billy to the guy who set up the port-o-pottys knew who Bucko Kilroy was.

To steal from Peter King...Things I think I think about the 2022 NE Patriots.

Real early roster addition.

I think Hightower will be back.
I think Matt Sokol will beat out Asiasi.
I wish they would carry a true fullback.
I've got High hopes for Ty Mongomery( I think he'll fit with what I expect to be more no huddle) (at least while white lands on pup to start the season)
And as mentioned above I expect more hurry up offense.

I've got High hopes for Ty Mongomery( I think he'll fit with what I expect to be more no huddle) (at least while white lands on pup to start the season)

Not on you Hammer. My response is to PK's statements:

Hightower? Maybe. It depends on his knees, the money and if he wants to or can play again to the level he once had. Maybe a move to EDGE would help but I'm skeptical about his will to grind after his last 2 years of half-heartedness.

Matt Sokol. There's a guy who has bounced from the PS of one team to the PS of another team 6 times since 2019. 3 teams signed him and released him multiple times. Ross Ventrone would be proud. Sokol played in 2 games over 3 years, both for the Chargers; no stats. Ok, I get it, he has the size at 6'6", 265 but why hasn't he played for the bad teams he was on like the Jags or Lions? Being signed and waived to the PSs of the Jags & Lions 5 times in 2 years caught PK's attention enough to have a hot take on him after the Pats signed him? His 7th team. smh

On fullbacks. I wonder what he considers to be a "true" fullback. I mean, Mike Alstott hasn't played in 15 years. The league has gotten more athletic at every position so last year only 14 teams even carried a FB. The position has been transforming to H-back for all but a few teams in recent years, most notably the Pats and SF. This year it appears to be the Pats turn to finally drop the FB moniker in favor of more ball skills & versatility the H-back position provides to help defeat these faster defenses we're seeing. What's an H-back? Any TE/WR/RB who is lined up in the backfield who can block/run/catch. Makes perfect sense to me to upgrade the skill and athleticism over a "true" FB. Maybe Sokol can do that for us. coffee.

I'd like to think Ty Montgomery plays some H-back for us but after averaging <3 yds/carry on 15 rushes and catching 16 passes for 95 yards for the Saints last year, I'm not counting on much. Maybe a change of scenery will help him but one thing we know about BB is that players earn their playing time. His opportunity is coming soon. It's up to him.

I'd like to think Ty Montgomery plays some H-back for us but after averaging <3 yds/carry on 15 rushes and catching 16 passes for 95 yards for the Saints last year, I'm not counting on much. Maybe a change of scenery will help him but one thing we know about BB is that players earn their playing time. His opportunity is coming soon. It's up to him.
I think you'll only see Ty Montgomery on offense if several other people are injured.

HT was cooked years ago...he's simply not good anymore.

I see the Pats signing their old DE that got paid by the Lions instead. Flowers.

HT was cooked years ago...he's simply not good anymore.

I see the Pats signing their old DE that got paid by the Lions instead. Flowers.
but why is he still available? That' the question that I'm starting to wonder.

Because he hasn't retired yet and the Pats have shown little interest in signing him?
Sometimes, many times, players just fade away.

I think the Covid year Hightower took off really affected him. I in no way blame him for doing that, but he was noticeably slower this past season. It was embarrassing watching him try to chase down Allen in the playoff loss to Buffalo.

If you mean Flowers, I agree and wonder the same thing. They must have had convos and Trey is waiting for moves to happen to free up the cash. Might just be another BB nudge/nudge sit tight I will come get you.

At least I hope that it...

Last edited:

Confusion Reaction GIF

If you mean Flowers, I agree and wonder the same thing. They must have had convos and Trey is waiting for moves to happen to free up the cash. Might just be another BB nudge/nudge sit tight I will come get you.

At least I hope that it...

Flowers has been wracked with injuries since he left the Pats. We could definitely use another EDGE player though.
If not him maybe BB can swing a trade with Josh McD for Clelin Ferrell, the 4th overall pick a few yrs ago who is ready to play. He's been jumped by Maxx Crosby and Chandler Jones.
I know there's been talk.
Right now we don't have the money ($1.4M cap space) for either player and BB is steadfastly refusing to create cap by extending players to sign players now in favor of having all his options open for next year without incurring more dead money on the cap. That will change if nobody stands out opposite Matt Judon in TC.

View: https://twitter.com/patscap/status/1547035656693719040

Last edited:
Our WR room at the end of 2020
Meyers
Byrd
Harry
Olszewski
Zuber
Wilkerson

Our WR room now looks a lot better
Kendrick Bourne
DeVante Parker