Looking At The Patriots 2022

What about the guy BB drafted last year? Is he no good?

Will Sherman. I've only seen him a handful of snaps, but I wouldn't consider him a realistic candidate
to be a starter this season unless he has gone through some sort of unlikely metamorphosis behind the scenes. Like
Steve Rogers getting the super-soldier serum. I don't mean to dump on the guy, because I've barely seen him, but
that impression left me wondering what our scouts saw in him in the first place. Don't hold me to it, but I saw slow
feet, a stiff body and little functional strength. Project all the way.

I'm hoping that we can come up with somebody better than the choices on the current roster.

I probably sound a bit harsh, but the prospect of losing 3/5ths of our OL in a couple of days has me wondering
what Bill has for plans. We presently seem to have more holes than we can possibly fill, but the offseason isn't over.

Watch, we'll go into this season with Andrews anchoring everything, Onwenu at RG, Wynn at LG, and Collins and Brown at the OT spots. FFS, opposing DLs would have sleepless weeks leading up to facing that OL with Stevenson and Harris coming behind it.
We trade for Collins and keep Herron at RT. Brown is gone

People keep talking about Trent Brown as if he were some kind of special last year for us.
He wasn't.

The truth is that none of our OTs were special. They were adequate and minimally above league average.
The only part of our OL that graded well are our OGs.
Trent Brown has 32 OTs that PFF graded as better than him last year. That's the definition of average. Wynn was only slightly better.
TBrown was below average as a run blocker.

Here's the truth...
We don't have any OTs who aren't easily replaceable especially if they want too much money.
Maybe it's time to think about an upgrade.

People keep talking about Trent Brown as if he were some kind of special last year for us.
He wasn't.

The truth is that none of our OTs were special. They were adequate and minimally above league average.
Trent Brown has 32 OTs that PFF graded as better than him last year. That's the definition of average. Wynn was only slightly better.

Here's the truth...
We don't have any OTs who aren't easily replaceable especially if they want too much money.
Why isn't Wynn a guard?

He wasn't.

Here's the truth...
Our best OL was Mason and he traded him to Tampa for a 5th.

Our best OL was Mason and he traded him to Tampa for a 5th.

That Mason was the best OL last season is certainly update for debate. I'd give that label to Onwenu, who surprisingly didn't play much down the stretch. Maybe Andrews.

Mason had his struggles and saw some slippage beginning in 2019/2020. Good in 2021? Yes, for most of the season. Was he in 'elite, best OL on the team' territory? I don't think so.

Last edited:
That Mason was the best OL last season is certainly update for debate. I'd give that label to Onwenu, who surprisingly didn't play much down the stretch. Maybe Andrews.

Mason had his struggles and saw some slippage beginning in 2019/2020.
I would differ, he was the most consistent and healthy of all of them. I agree though about Onw. being solid. Not sure what happened at the end of the season. The real head scratcher was letting Karras go IMO. Not sure I understand the thinking at all with the Oline but it is still early and moves to made ...

He's had a ton of injuries from what I understand, but would fit Bill's mold for a "rehab your career and prove it" deal.

He wasn't.

Here's the truth...
He was pretty damned good. I don't care what PFF says. Either him or Andrews was their best OL last year.

You were saying that before the trade were you?! :rofl:
I mean, I was, you can check it. I didn't see any real slippage until the back half of last year, and thought he was excellent in 19/20, but that's really the only difference.

He was pretty damned good. I don't care what PFF says. Either him or Andrews was their best OL last year.

But see, you're kind of making my point. He was pretty damned good but compared to what? Tackles on other teams or Tackles on our team? Wynn wasn't very good either.
However Brown is compared he wasn't a special player for us either way.

The Patriots best OL grades last year in b&w.
1. Onwenu. 86.7 (3rd ranked G in the league)
2. Mason. 86.4 (4th ranked G)
3. Andrews. 79.2 (5th ranked C)
4. Wynn. 74.9 (30th ranked T)
5. TBrown. 73.8 (33rd)
6. Karras. 72.9 (15th ranked G)

Brown's 64 run blocking grade is 20 points below Onwenu, Mason and Andrews and 12 below Wynn. (Karras graded 4 pts better than Brown for run blocking, btw)

Yeah, it's PFF but it's a place to start. They grade all players the same way so you're comparing Tackles to Tackles and Guards to Guards.
Our interior OL was great but the tackles, not so much.

What is the plan on the Oline? Just build through the draft?

But see, you're kind of making my point. He was pretty damned good but compared to what? Tackles on other teams or Tackles on our team? Wynn wasn't very good either.
However Brown is compared he wasn't a special player for us either way.

The Patriots best OL grades last year in b&w.
1. Onwenu. 86.7 (3rd ranked G in the league)
2. Mason. 86.4 (4th ranked G)
3. Andrews. 79.2 (5th ranked C)
4. Wynn. 74.9 (30th ranked T)
5. TBrown. 73.8 (33rd)
6. Karras. 72.9 (15th ranked G)

Brown's 64 run blocking grade is 20 points below Onwenu, Mason and Andrews and 12 below Wynn. (Karras graded 4 pts better than Brown for run blocking, btw)

Yeah, it's PFF but it's a place to start. They grade all players the same way so you're comparing Tackles to Tackles and Guards to Guards.
Our interior OL was great but the tackles, not so much.

I'm thinking maybe they give Cajuste another shot?

It would probably be like:

LT: Wynn
LG: Onwenu
C: Andrews
RG: ??? (probably a mid-round rookie)
RT: Cajuste

In 81 snaps he gave up a lone sack, and while it was an egregious mistake that nearly broke Mac in half, it's a correctable mental/assignment lapse.

I mean, unless there's still hope for La'el Collins or Trent Brown to come back cheap after leaving Seattle without a contract.

Back