Looking at the Patriots 2023

No one is giving up anything for Zappe. It's a delusional concept. The Zappe fantasy is just a reaction to how awful last season went and the desperation to find something positive. Zappe played decent with a limited offensive package and a great defense, against two of the worst NFL teams. The last time he touched the ball, he threw 3 interceptions, fumbled the snap twice and had another three passes batted down at the line. All by the way in single half of football, he's fools gold.
I'll add that the fans' reaction was wildly predictable because the observations sounded, on the surface, so similar to those during Bledsoe/Brady: the backup doesn't have the pedigree or the raw talent of the starter, but gets results, the team rallied around him, late rounder vs first rounder, etc...

There was very much a "we've seen this before" feel, but it was always a mirage. The other offensive players were stepping up and making crazy catches, etc. that covered up a lack of arm strength & accuracy, and the offense was oversimplified and made for soft landings.

I don't think Zappe is worth nothing as you state here, but he's worth more to NE than he is to anyone else, at least right now.

I'm interested to see what BB has planned. You don't tell fans to be patient. If you don't have something up your sleeve. The team needs to show. A big improvement from last season .
he hasn’t had anything up his sleeve in years.

Mike Gesicki's positional versatility. Bottom line: the two years with his lowest production were when he lined up as a traditional TE, is two best when he was in the slot or out wide.

Well, yeah. One position's job is run block, pass block, and catch passes, and the other is only to catch passes (and occasionally get in the way of defenders). One position lines up in the middle of the field with all the wash, and the other is intentionally split wide to ensure that it avoids the wash. I mean, it would be shocking if this weren't the case for any TE.

Production <> highest value to the team. In this case I think higher production and higher value to the team are aligned, but that doesn't exactly go without saying...

he hasn’t had anything up his sleeve in years.
You think so?

Can we agree that 2022 Mac performed like a bottom quartile QB?
Can we agree that the skill positions were bottom quartile?
OL performance?
Awful lot of folks looking to replace a wide variety of defensive starters, right?
And you're the one who goes on and on about the fact that you can't win with defense, it's all about offensive explosiveness now, right?
The Patriots player in the 2nd toughest division in football, and had the tough AFC West as their in-conference division, yes?

So, I'm curious, then: If BB "hasn't had anything up his sleeve in years," how is it that they had a playoff trip on the line in the final game of the season? And controlled their own destiny, no less?

You think so?

OL performance?
Awful lot of folks looking to replace a wide variety of defensive starters, right?
And you're the one who goes on and on about the fact that you can't win with defense, it's all about offensive explosiveness now, right?
The Patriots player in the 2nd toughest division in football, and had the tough AFC West as their in-conference division, yes?

So, I'm curious, then: If BB "hasn't had anything up his sleeve in years," how is it that they had a playoff trip on the line in the final game of the season? And controlled their own destiny, no less?
are you seriously using last year as your example for Bill having something up his sleeve?

You think so?

OL performance?

The defense.

I'll add that the fans' reaction was wildly predictable because the observations sounded, on the surface, so similar to those during Bledsoe/Brady: the backup doesn't have the pedigree or the raw talent of the starter, but gets results, the team rallied around him, late rounder vs first rounder, etc...

There was very much a "we've seen this before" feel, but it was always a mirage. The other offensive players were stepping up and making crazy catches, etc. that covered up a lack of arm strength & accuracy, and the offense was oversimplified and made for soft landings.

I don't think Zappe is worth nothing as you state here, but he's worth more to NE than he is to anyone else, at least right now.
Agreed, but at best I think he’s a decent backup. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but if I'm betting on one QB this year to prove a lot of people wrong, that bet goes on Mac. The Mac hate in the media and among some fans is ridiculous, and I belive he's going to shut both groups up this season.

You think so?

OL performance?

This is a bit of a stretch. Bill the GM is solely responsible for the disastrous coaching and personnel moves last year. Ironically it's Bill the coach that had them a game away from the playoffs.

This is a bit of a stretch. Bill the GM is solely responsible for the disastrous coaching and personnel moves last year. Ironically it's Bill the coach that had them a game away from the playoffs.
Sure. Point being, if Bill the GM is such an abject disaster, Bill the Coach is still something pretty special. Or vice versa.

Agreed and the steps BB has taken to rectify that disaster will make major positive differences.

This has always been the case. Bill the coach is MUCH better at his job than Bill the GM. We just didn't see it like we do now because Brady covered up so much.

Agreed and the steps BB has taken to rectify that disaster will make major positive differences.
That's the hope, I believe this season will be a major turning point for the future of the team and franchise as whole. I honestly have no idea which way it's going to go, but buckle up fellow Pats fans.

There's a rumor going around Houston that Caserio is leaving the Texans to rejoin the Patriots after the draft.

I can tell you this a false rumor. It gained traction when John McClain of the Houston Chronicle repeated the rumor on his radio show this am.
He followed that with "I don't believe it" but the rumor is gaining steam in Houston. McClain also said the McNair's love the job Caserio is doing for them.

Don't fall for it. Matt Groh has done a terrific job in his place.

Last edited:
Back