Looking at the Patriots 2023

The "Thank you" game will be against the Eagles. Ugh.
(Thrown into the fire!)

View: https://twitter.com/_AndrewCallahan/status/1656685099478335488

The Patriots will have no time to waste entering a critical 2023 season.

Their Week 1 opponent may be the toughest on their schedule.

The Pats will open next season at home against the Eagles, according to sources. Philadelphia is coming off a Super Bowl appearance, having lost a 38-35 thriller to the reigning champion Chiefs last February. The Eagles went 14-3 during the regular season en route to the No. 1 seed in the NFC.

This offseason, Philadelphia extended star quarterback Jalen Hurts, who finished second in MVP voting last year. Hurts completed 66.5% of his passes for 3,701 yards, 22 touchdowns and six interceptions, while rushing for 760 yards and 13 scores. Overall, the Eagles finished third by Football Outsiders’ opponent-and-situation-adjusted metric DVOA, with top-6 finishes in offense and defense and the NFL’s 13th-best special teams.

The Pats last played Philadelphia in 2019, eking out a 17-10 win at Lincoln Financial Field. Prior to that regular-season matchup, the Eagles beat Tom Brady and the Patriots 41-33 in a record-setting showdown in Super Bowl LII.

Brady will be honored at halftime of the home opener, according to team owner Robert Kraft.

The Patriots will host the Dolphins on Sunday Night Football in Week 2, a source told the Herald. The Pats split their division series with Miami last year. The Dolphins finished 9-8 and clinched a Wild Card berth by virtue of their win over the New York Jets and a New England loss in Week 18.

Developing …

Thanks for all the great posts on this side topic. I could share a strange story about D Day and the war in Europe that came about from a genealogy search. f you could indulge me while I set up to get to the point...My Dad grew up in Pennsylvania coal country and served stateside ( out of South Weymouth Naval Air Station) flying on bombers searching for U Boats. He ended up discharged after getting hurt in a plane crash in 1944. We are of Lithuanian descent on his side of the tree and there are many Lithuanian genealogy resources based in PA, which I was active in while attempting to trace my roots back to the homeland.

In any event, one day about 20 years ago I got an email out of the blue from a Brit who was also researching on those PA sites. This is where it got interesting. He tells me he was born out of wedlock and his mom had been knocked up by an American soldier, and he was trying to trace back this guy based on his limited information.... his Mom didn't share much and she was passed on. But he had some clues to the fathers identity from her wartime correspondence.

His homework led him to me. He shared details that led him to an army captain from Pennsylvania who got killed in Normandy on D Day, and this guy was my Dad's cousin. I knew nothing of this man. My Dad just never talked about the war or his extended family, and he was dead when I was 29 so there would be no information shared by him. This Brit had photos of this dead captain, his gravestone in the American cemetery, as well as my Dad and his brother, and other relatives. The resemblance was stunning. He had details on their families and ancestry that I could not believe. All of this led him to me since I posted about a few of these same people on these genealogy sites. I had never seen much of this stuff, I was shocked. He was sure that the D day captain was his Dad, and would I be willing to take a DNA test to see about that? Of course I did.

And as it turned out, it was a negative test and all this fellows research had been for naught.

I felt so bad for him and just wished him the best as he started all over. He sent me a lovely book as a thank you and we corresponded for a few years but then that faded out.
My guess was that his Mom may well have been intimate with this fellow, but probably with some others too and the luck of the draw was not on his side.

Anyway thanks for obliging me, the Normandy talk made me think of it and it's a decent tale.

My dad was a hundred percent Lithuanian. ❤️

And what was the book he sent you?

I’m delighted to hear we’ll have TFB with us for that game and RKK said he’s excited to come here see the fans again. He will get one hell of a reception and it’s more than deserved. I know many of us had issues with his last season here etc but what RKK said was I credible. The NFL is 100 years old and for a fifth of that, we had the GOAT playing for us.

Welcome home Tommy my boy!

Just Guessing:

Week 1 - Eagles - I would guess that this will be on Fox. Thery do the majority of the inner-conference games. It's the 2023 SB runner-up
and the Patriots will be honoring Tom Brady. If Fox is covering it, plan on a 4:25 pm start and it will be their premier telecast. This is like having a prime time game.

Week 2 - Dolphins - Sunday Night Football - If the Patriots pull off a miracle in week 1, There will be panic in Miami all week before this game. They could over prepare and victimize themselves.

Never say never......................

theAthletic says the Patriots have the toughest start of the season for all NFL teams.

Toughest start

The Patriots get no time to ease into the season, opening with Philadelphia and then Miami before traveling to take on the Jets and the Cowboys. And it’s not like they get much relief as a reward for a tough opening stretch. Their season ends with a fairly high level of difficulty as well. Following a Week 11 bye, the Patriots close out the season against the Giants, Chargers, Steelers, Chiefs, Broncos, Bills and Jets.

The Eagles game is scheduled for 4:05. Patriots will not try to fit in thirty or forty seconds for the networks. Better hope that the 1:00 games don't go into OT.

Week 2 is the Dolphins at Gillette and the league was nice enough not have the Dolphins coming north in December or January.

Week 3 is the Jets in New Jersey. You know that Bill will a special wrinkle or two just for Aaron Rogers.

The Jets have the Bills on MNF for their first game and it's a home game.

Then they fly to Dallas for game two before welcoming the Patriots for game 3.

All of the ""Experts"" are picking the jets to win both of their games before beating the Patriots.

Wouldn't the league and Goodell have a massive laundry bill to clean all those BVDs if at the end of Week 3 the Patriots were 3-0 and the jets were 0-3.

Back