Looking at the Patriots 2023

I believe the 5th year option is an average of the top 5 QB salaries. I have not done the math but $37 at first glance seems about right. Joe Burrow is about to get paid and most believe he will come in higher than Herbert and be the highest paid QB so that $37 mil could go up.

EDIT: It is actually an average of the top 20 guys. Also being elected to the pro bowl on the original ballot not as an alternate which is what Mac was his rookie year also counts. Jordan Love's predicted 5th year option is $20 mil
It's an avg of the 3rd highest to the 20th highest. 1st and 2nd highest are thrown out of the calculation.

That last sentence seems like a slight shot at Mac.
I thought it was a nod to Philly's strong pass rush and would be true for any QB opposing them.

I don't know where $37mil figure that he mentioned came from. It depends on how many pro bowls that player has been voted to. Burrows was $29mil, that is a real number, not an estimate.
Upon being exercised, the fifth-year option is fully guaranteed, and any base salary in the player's fourth year that was not fully guaranteed will become so. The fifth-year salary is calculated based on four tiers: Basic, playtime, one Pro Bowl, multiple Pro Bowls.May 2, 2023

Mac has been the starting QB for three years. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Generally, a team pays the what they would pay for franchising that player. It also depends on percentage that the salary cap is increased. If things stay the same exactly in 2024, Tom E. Curran and Phil Perry debate whether or not the Patriots should offer Mac Jones a 5th-year option if he has a good season (for a projected $23-30 million deal). Franchise tag for a QB in 2023 was $36M .

I added a $1M to the 2023 Franchise number.

The question will remain the same. What does Mac have to do that will make BB flip the switch and pay him even Curran's number of $30M? Like I said before, he wouldn't give Brady $25M and let him walk. We're talking about a guy that gave him 6 Super Bowl rings and 10 AFC Championships. Remember, Mac's option salary will be for 2025 not 2024. He signed a $15.6M contract and was paid $8.6M Bonus. Below is what he gets paid next year whether or not his option is picked up and the salary cap affect.

Contract details by year
26$2,785,412$2,173,882$4,959,294$4,959,294$2,785,412($15,586,352)$3,896,588

Any player can only be elevated twice and revert back to the practice squad. The third time, you need to make room on the 53 for him.

I just want to clarify for people who may not understand.
The owners meeting in May voted to disallow a PS elevation from being named an emergency QB. He must be a member of the 53 to be named inactive/emergency QB.
So Zappe can be elevated from the PS and be the QB2 but he can't be named the emergency QB (QB3).
In our case, Corral who is on the 53 can be listed as inactive and can be named the emergency QB.
This is why the 3rd elevation rule you mentioned becomes important. By then it's likely that Zappe can replace an injured player on the 53 but that's a gamble.

Upon being exercised, the fifth-year option is fully guaranteed, and any base salary in the player's fourth year that was not fully guaranteed will become so. The fifth-year salary is calculated based on four tiers: Basic, playtime, one Pro Bowl, multiple Pro Bowls.May 2, 2023

Mac has been the starting QB for three years. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Generally, a team pays the what they would pay for franchising that player. It also depends on percentage that the salary cap is increased. If things stay the same exactly in 2024, Tom E. Curran and Phil Perry debate whether or not the Patriots should offer Mac Jones a 5th-year option if he has a good season (for a projected $23-30 million deal). Franchise tag for a QB in 2023 was $36M .

The question will remain the same. What does Mac have to do that will make BB flip the switch and pay him even Curran's number of $30M? Like I said before, he wouldn't give Brady $25M and let him walk. We're talking about a guy that gave him 6 Super Bowl rings and 10 AFC Championships. Remember, Mac's option salary will be for 2025 not 2024. He signed a $15.6M contract and was paid $8.6M Bonus. Below is what he gets paid next year whether or not his option is picked up and the salary cap affect.

Contract details by year

It has nothing to do with Franchise Tag number.
I spelled it out in the post above yours.
Mac's pro bowl was as an alternate so it doesn't count.
Here's the calculation.
It's an avg of the 3rd highest to the 20th highest. 1st and 2nd highest are thrown out of the calculation.

Last edited:

Contract details by year

Other than the dated conjecture regarding what BB will do with Mac because Brady WALKED AWAY 4 years ago, I like the information. Thanks.

It has nothing to do with Franchise Tag number.
I spelled it out 2-3 posts above yours.
Mac's pro bowl was as an alternate so it doesn't count.
Here's the calculation.
I also like the correct information even more.

The fifth year option is a tool for a team to keep a player that they really want, while negotiating a long term deal in most cases. Very seldom is the money paid as the long term deal is more cap friendly.

Contract details by year
As stated by Chev the franchise tag # has nothing to do with the 5th year option #.

BB says Mac had a "really good camp"

New England Patriots quarterback Mac Jones "had a good offseason and has had a really good camp" in the eyes of head coach Bill Belichick.

"He understands the offense—how it works, how to get his teammates involved, how to help them be productive," Belichick told reportersMonday. "So he's had a really good stretch here; it's been consistent all the way through."
View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088255-mac-jones-praised-by-patriots-hc-bill-belichick-following-offseason-nfl-trade-rumors

The fifth year option is a tool for a team to keep a player that they really want, while negotiating a long term deal in most cases. Very seldom is the money paid as the long term deal is more cap friendly.
Exactly. I think when we look at the 5th year option, I don't see Bill doing that unless he sees Mac as the long term franchise QB. If he does, then I think he picks up the 5th year and then negotiates a longer term deal as that will be more cap friendly then absorbing the fully guaranteed 5th year option.

Needless to say, this is a huge year for Mac to both stay healthy and prove with his play that he is the long term answer at QB. If TC/preseason is any indication, I think he is on his way.

Although I will say that Bill can be tricky when it comes to QBs. As I have said before, he disdains the position which he got from Parcells. If he could win games just using D and STs, he would that every time, all day long. I do think what is tough to forecast is Bill's thoughts on the ballooning QB market. Tommy and I have discussed this. QB salaries are now taking up a ton of the cap room to where virtually no other players can be paid (see KC: Tyreek Hill and Chris Jones). Once Mahomes signed that mammoth deal a few years ago, there is nothing left to pay the top of the market guys. No one knows this better than Bill. I am not sure how he is going to get around not paying a QB as guys are just getting paid on potential (see Dak, Herbert, Lamar). It is really crazy IMO. We'll find out soon enough on what Bill will do.

Is Mac worth 40 million a year?

Given where the position will be in 2 years probably. But I wouldn’t go a cent over that. He’s an average starter and should be paid as such when the time comes.

That last sentence seems like a slight shot at Mac.
It only seems like a shot at Mac if you're starting from the premise that Mac doesn't hit open receivers, right? I point this out to make a point about most of what one sees being behind one's eyes, rather than before them.

It only seems like a shot at Mac if you're starting from the premise that Mac doesn't hit open receivers, right? I point this out to make a point about most of what one sees being behind one's eyes, rather than before them.
Sure. You read it multiple ways. I took it more as Bill saying Mac does not have time to hold the ball. This also means the receivers have to get in and out of their breaks fast and BoB needs to call a great game.

Is Mac worth 40 million a year?

Given where the position will be in 2 years probably. But I wouldn’t go a cent over that. He’s an average starter and should be paid as such when the time comes.
This is a question that can be answered after the conclusion of this season, but until then is impossible.

And I guarantee, while Belichick may have general number targets in his head - if he throws 29 TDs instead of 30, or 3600 yards instead of 3800, and they make sufficient noise and do damage in the post-season, that's all that's going to matter.

Stating anything else at this point is folly.

Albert Breer was on NBC Sorts Boston, and commented that “JuJu Smith Schuster’s knee is a mess and that thing could explode at any point”. At first blush it sounds like hyperbole, It doesn't seem like the Patriots are treating him with kid gloves other than he started late, so I assumed things were progressing well for him health wise. Breer isn't exactly a go to source for the Patriots but I wouldn't be surprised if he had a contact, was curious if anyone had heard or read anything regarding JuJu's health?
just Breer being breer-itating.

I just want to clarify for people who may not understand.
The owners meeting in May voted to disallow a PS elevation from being named an emergency QB. He must be a member of the 53 to be named inactive/emergency QB.
So Zappe can be elevated from the PS and be the QB2 but he can't be named the emergency QB (QB3).
In our case, Corral who is on the 53 can be listed as inactive and can be named the emergency QB.
This is why the 3rd elevation rule you mentioned becomes important. By then it's likely that Zappe can replace an injured player on the 53 but that's a gamble.

Now I'm hearing that today the NFL clarified the emerg. QB rule to say that both the QB2 and the emergency QB have to come from the 53.
So the only benefit of the emergency QB is that he can be inactive on game day.
I tell you it's enough to spin your head! Why can't the NFL just write a rule properly and stick with it?

Now I'm hearing that today the NFL clarified the emerg. QB rule to say that both the QB2 and the emergency QB have to come from the 53.
So the only benefit of the emergency QB is that he can be inactive on game day.
I tell you it's enough to spin your head! Why can't the NFL just write a rule properly and stick with it?
The NFL writes poorly written rules, waits until Bill finds legitimate loopholes, and then amends the rules. They should streamline the process and just pay Bill to proofread and edit their rough drafts (otherwise known as pre-amended rules).

Back