Looking at the Patriots 2024

If they dump Mac, and I hope they do trade him, he will succeed elsewhere if given the opportunity.

He will need an ideal scenario, because what he showed consistently here is how much he struggled with adversity.

Maybe he needs to sit a couple of years behind a vet to slow his mind down.

Even if he looked like his rookie season with the Pats the fans will have zero patience whenever he makes a mistake. He's definitely better suited elsewhere.

He will need an ideal scenario, because what he showed consistently here is how much he struggled with adversity.

Maybe he needs to sit a couple of years behind a vet to slow his mind down.

Even if he looked like his rookie season with the Pats the fans will have zero patience whenever he makes a mistake. He's definitely better suited elsewhere.

He needs competence around him just like any QB. He had none for two seasons and that would damage most. But IIWII now.

Sadly, you are correct on the average Pats fan. It seems that people have to see things in absolutes. In my mind, Belichick can be both the GOAT and have screwed the pooch when in came to Jones. Nobody is perfect. In fact, the longer a person is in control and successful the higher the probability that person will make a major mistake at some point. I believe the mistake was in his reaction to having Jones pushed down his throat by Kraft (first deal rd1 QB contract money don't forget) following the Kraft/Brady situ and Brady's subsequent exit. He simply wasn't having it AGAIN and especially not with a QB not named Brady. So Jones got a DC for OC, no OL and no real weapons. Bill was gonna win with HIS defense. But I readily admit that is totally unsubstantiated guesswork on my part and that there certainly was much more going that I am not even guessing about.

I hope Jones does well elsewhere. I expect he will.

Notice the tone of my post above. No argument. No one needs to read people on here calling Jones a pussy for the 1200th time. Save it.

Last edited:
You clearly still have certain people on ignore.

Nope. The site owner has restricted my account in a couple of ways. He put Mazz on ignore FOR ME. That is one of them. I would rather he didn't but...

1709321527798.png

He needs competence around him just like any QB. He had none for two seasons and that would damage most. But IIWII now.

Sadly, you are correct on the average Pats fan. It seems that people have to see things in absolutes. In my mind, Belichick can be both the GOAT and have screwed the pooch when in came to Jones. Nobody is perfect. In fact, the longer a person is in control and successful the higher the probability that person will make a major mistake at some point. I believe the mistake was in his reaction to having Jones pushed down his throat by Kraft (first deal rd1 QB contract money don't forget) following the Kraft/Brady situ and Brady's subsequent exit. He simply wasn't having it AGAIN and especially not with a QB not named Brady. So Jones got a DC for OC, no OL and no real weapons. Bill was gonna win with HIS defense. But I readily admit that is totally unsubstantiated guesswork on my part and that there certainly was much more going that I am not even guessing about.

I hope Jones does well elsewhere. I expect he will.

Notice the tone of my post above. No argument. No one needs to read people on here calling Jones a pussy for the 1200th time. Save it.
Ok. He's a pussy AND he sucks. :coffee:

Mac at best will have a Pennington post injury career elsewhere which isn't great, but it's not terrible. He's best suited for a team that is just okay being decent somewhere else and not one with title aspirations. Might even be an okay backup. His measurable just aren't there.

Among fans, yes I agree.
Amongst anyone really. I hear a some "I still believe in him" comments not many "that dude will rock it here or elsewhere". Go look at JJ's throws yesterday, and contrast them with Macs Pro Day at 'Bama. More arm strength and ability to drive it from JJ, who also had what the second highest throw power? And I hadn't thought much about JJ before yesterday but that opened my eyes a little bit. Haven't seen any of the big boys' pro days yet so will be interesting to see how they visually stack up against Noodle Arm Mac.

Mac at best will have a Pennington post injury career elsewhere which isn't great, but it's not terrible. He's best suited for a team that is just okay being decent somewhere else and not one with title aspirations. Might even be an okay backup. His measurable just aren't there.
The biggest problem with Mac, is that when he believes he's under pressure (whether real or perceived), he panics, and often makes a throw, without proper footwork, (sometimes stepping backwards or side ways). He simply doesn't have the kind of arm strength, that would enable him to make a good throw down the field, without stepping into the throw.
If someone could figure out how to stop him from doing that, at worst he'd have a reasonable career as a backup. If he can't fix that, he'll be out of the league soon.

The biggest problem with Mac, is that when he believes he's under pressure (whether real or perceived), he panics, and often makes a throw, without proper footwork, (sometimes stepping backwards or side ways). He simply doesn't have the kind of arm strength, that would enable him to make a good throw down the field, without stepping into the throw.
If someone could figure out how to stop him from doing that, at worst he'd have a reasonable career as a backup. If he can't fix that, he'll be out of the league soon.

Yeah thats pretty much it in a lot of ways. His ability to drive the football depends on him being aligned with the path of the throw. As you stated, once he can't do that, he's cooked. Thats why when he is scrambling towards the player he will be throwing to, it looks better because he is on line with the throw. Problem is in the NFL, you need to be able to make those off schedule, somewhat poor footwork throws, or stand in there and take the hit that is coming in order to stay on line.

I hope there is someone who can put together pressure plays from these college QBs, and how do they react. Thats who I would be looking at closely to draft.

Mac didn't arrive in NE with a rep for being scared or ducking. In fact, he stood in there quite well year one taking a couple if HUGE hits as a result with no sign of being a pu**y as some of you have taken to calling him.

2 seasons of of shit OL line protection and little offensive competence (players or coaches) have had a negative impact. How could it not?

I firmly believe that will reverse itself in an organization that has a decent offensive direction, staff and talent whether it be this one or elsewhere.

I hope we get to find out next season somewhere.

Mac didn't arrive in NE with a rep for being scared or ducking. In fact, he stood in there quite well year one taking a couple if HUGE hits as a result with no sign of being a pu**y as some of you have taken to calling him.

2 seasons of of shit OL line protection and little offensive competence (players or coaches) have had a negative impact. How could it not?

I firmly believe that will reverse itself in an organization that has a decent offensive direction, staff and talent whether it be this one or elsewhere.

He won't, and he will certainly be elsewhere.

He was drafted based on potiental. He never progressed past his Rookie Success. He's joins Wilson , Lance & Fields as Draft busts. If you really want to find a 1 year wonder. Just look at Daniel Jones.

Clearly it’s all BB’s fault…

I hope I'm not a "Mac is a pussy" guy, but I probably am.

Clearly, he was flinching/seeing ghosts, which is a human response to being fairly delicate of frame and getting hammered by NFL monsters with
no hope that it'll get better anytime soon. I understand WHY it happened and that didn't make me dislike him after being THRILLED when we
drafted him.

I think the fundamental problem was that he had one full season at Alabama, which was brilliant, and he checked a lot of boxes that he'd fit in
fine with our system. He seemed to be a good leader and seemed to adapt quickly to being designated as The Man, the franchise, but there were
things he did that indicated that maybe we didn't know as much about him as a person and leader as we should have before tossing him the keys.

The stuff he said in pressers and interviews was sometimes weird and off-putting. he seemed to me to be a bit of a blabbermouth and I expected
he would know enough to not go there at times. There were the multiple "dirty" on-field incidents that seemed to show false bravado, the alleged frustrations
with the offense and seeking advice or whatever from outside the organization, the on-field decisions sometimes head-scratching and sometimes simply
inexplicable, but it was the throwing his teammates under the bus with all the histrionics that was the worst and it wasn't just that once that was the obvious
one near the end of last season where he caught hell. He caught hell because it was already known as a bit of a problem. He did that sort of thing multiple
times going back to his rookie season, but he was winning then, so.....it wasn't a big deal. He was young and would learn, we rationalized. Turns out he didn't
so much mature over 3 seasons and, arguably, showed everybody who he was beneath a curated false image.

I'm sorry he got killed, I'm sorry Bill didn't handle the personnel on the OL and skill positions better, I'm sorry he wasn't given the support he should have
been, but it doesn't really matter because he's become toxic both to a majority of the fan base and, I believe, to his teammates. People can carve up the
blame pie however they see fit, but I think a fresh start somewhere far away would be best for all, but I'm not worried that he's going to flourish elsewhere
and make us look stupid for screwing him up. I think that his rookie season will be the outlier and not the last 2 seasons where he often appeared shell-shocked.

I'm sorry it didn't work out here and no, it's not all his fault, but I've come to the conclusion that he was never going to be the answer and it's time to turn the page.

I don't know if I ever called him a pussy, but if I did then I wish I hadn't. I felt like he fooled me and I was angry and a little flustered , but am on to the next
franchise QB prospect -- whoever that turns out to be.

I hope I'm not a "Mac is a pussy" guy, but I probably am.

Clearly, he was flinching/seeing ghosts, which is a human response to being fairly delicate of frame and getting hammered by NFL monsters with
no hope that it'll get better anytime soon. I understand WHY it happened and that didn't make me dislike him after being THRILLED when we
drafted him.

I think the fundamental problem was that he had one full season at Alabama, which was brilliant, and he checked a lot of boxes that he'd fit in
fine with our system. He seemed to be a good leader and seemed to adapt quickly to being designated as The Man, the franchise, but there were
things he did that indicated that maybe we didn't know as much about him as a person and leader as we should have before tossing him the keys.

The stuff he said in pressers and interviews was sometimes weird and off-putting. he seemed to me to be a bit of a blabbermouth and I expected
he would know enough to not go there at times. There were the multiple "dirty" on-field incidents that seemed to show false bravado, the alleged frustrations
with the offense and seeking advice or whatever from outside the organization, the on-field decisions sometimes head-scratching and sometimes simply
inexplicable, but it was the throwing his teammates under the bus with all the histrionics that was the worst and it wasn't just that once that was the obvious
one near the end of last season where he caught hell. He caught hell because it was already known as a bit of a problem. He did that sort of thing multiple
times going back to his rookie season, but he was winning then, so.....it wasn't a big deal. He was young and would learn, we rationalized. Turns out he didn't
so much mature over 3 seasons and, arguably, showed everybody who he was beneath a curated false image.

I'm sorry he got killed, I'm sorry Bill didn't handle the personnel on the OL and skill positions better, I'm sorry he wasn't given the support he should have
been, but it doesn't really matter because he's become toxic both to a majority of the fan base and, I believe, to his teammates. People can carve up the
blame pie however they see fit, but I think a fresh start somewhere far away would be best for all, but I'm not worried that he's going to flourish elsewhere
and make us look stupid for screwing him up. I think that his rookie season will be the outlier and not the last 2 seasons where he often appeared shell-shocked.

I'm sorry it didn't work out here and no, it's not all his fault, but I've come to the conclusion that he was never going to be the answer and it's time to turn the page.

I don't know if I ever called him a pussy, but if I did then I wish I hadn't. I felt like he fooled me and I was angry and a little flustered , but am on to the next
franchise QB prospect -- whoever that turns out to be.
Reasonable. Time will tell.

Back