Mac Jones Is Our QB1

What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. The adversity Mac went through last season will stand to him going forward. We all have to go through it at some stage and how you deal with it will drive you. Mac’s character and his will is going to see him through imho. I think he might actually explode out of the traps early in the season with his trusted receivers and the new players who have joined. Mac and JuJu I have a feeling, will forge a dynamic partnership.

we know how he is with Bourne, he was clicking with Parker nicely and he will continue with Henry and now has Gesicki as well. Play action, two TEs, BoB is going to have a field day with these guys.
Wish I had your optimism. If he had average to above arm talent I would be a little more hopeful. Barring some extreme change in that, it isn't really gonna matter who is the OC and who he it throwing to. If the NCAA had NFL veteran defenses, he would have been a 5th round draft pick.

Wish I had your optimism. If he had average to above arm talent I would be a little more hopeful. Barring some extreme change in that, it isn't really gonna matter who is the OC and who he it throwing to. If the NCAA had NFL veteran defenses, he would have been a 5th round draft pick.
Do you have to actually force yourself not to remember the past?

Rank after 2021
Mac Jones

Mac Jones
New England Patriots · Rookie
2021 stats: 18 games | 67.3 pct | 4,033 pass yds | 7.2 ypa | 24 pass TD | 15 INT | 147 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 7 fumbles

I never understood the narrative that the Patriots weren't asking Mac Jones to do much. If anything, the cautious Patriots staff's willingness to ask a lot was one of the defining traits of Jones' rookie season. He was running a hurry-up offense while throwing the ball 40 times in the rain against Tom Brady by Week 4. Immediately stepping in as a league-average starting quarterback on over 600 dropbacks is usually a sign of great things to come. Jones needs to get stronger, but that's attainable. His already-excellent pocket movement and accuracy are harder to learn. His ceiling looks higher than most analysts expected, Kyle Shanahan excluded.

Rank after 2022

Mac Jones

Mac Jones
New England Patriots · Year 2
2022 stats: 14 games | 65.2 pct | 2,997 pass yds | 6.8 ypa | 14 pass TD | 11 INT | 102 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 5 fumbles

Back in July, Bill Belichick crooned over the "great job" Jones did as a rookie.

Bill's assessment coming out of Year 2? "Mac has the ability to play quarterback in this league."

Belichick also acknowledged the entire offense must grow into something more functional. It's a lock that changes are coming -- perhaps in the shape of Bill O'Brien -- but Mac deserved better this season. Why did play-caller Matt Patricia so forcefully drift away from what suited his starter? Jones piled up a 104.0 passer rating on play-action snaps -- with an 80.7 mark otherwise -- yet the Patriots employed play-action on just 16.5 percent of Jones' snaps, ranking him 38th out of 40 qualifying passers in this area. His tumble was grounded in mismanagement. He's set up as a bounce-back candidate if Foxborough's heavies can sort this mess out.

Rank after 2021
Mac Jones

Mac Jones
New England Patriots · Rookie
2021 stats: 18 games | 67.3 pct | 4,033 pass yds | 7.2 ypa | 24 pass TD | 15 INT | 147 rush yds | 0 rush TD | 7 fumbles

I never understood the narrative that the Patriots weren't asking Mac Jones to do much. If anything, the cautious Patriots staff's willingness to ask a lot was one of the defining traits of Jones' rookie season. He was running a hurry-up offense while throwing the ball 40 times in the rain against Tom Brady by Week 4. Immediately stepping in as a league-average starting quarterback on over 600 dropbacks is usually a sign of great things to come. Jones needs to get stronger, but that's attainable. His already-excellent pocket movement and accuracy are harder to learn. His ceiling looks higher than most analysts expected, Kyle Shanahan excluded.

Rank after 2022

Mac Jones

Mac Jones
New England Patriots · Year 2
2022 stats: 14 games | 65.2 pct | 2,997 pass yds | 6.8 ypa | 14 pass TD | 11 INT | 102 rush yds | 1 rush TD | 5 fumbles

Back in July, Bill Belichick crooned over the "great job" Jones did as a rookie.

Bill's assessment coming out of Year 2? "Mac has the ability to play quarterback in this league."

Belichick also acknowledged the entire offense must grow into something more functional. It's a lock that changes are coming -- perhaps in the shape of Bill O'Brien -- but Mac deserved better this season. Why did play-caller Matt Patricia so forcefully drift away from what suited his starter? Jones piled up a 104.0 passer rating on play-action snaps -- with an 80.7 mark otherwise -- yet the Patriots employed play-action on just 16.5 percent of Jones' snaps, ranking him 38th out of 40 qualifying passers in this area. His tumble was grounded in mismanagement. He's set up as a bounce-back candidate if Foxborough's heavies can sort this mess out.

This is a great post that directly educates the person you are responding to via facts against NFL defenses.

Now we wait to see if they hold the Men In Black pen up facing themselves again.

1684841399766.jpeg

Last edited:
A long read but good.

New England Patriots quarterback Mac Jones has been pleased with the transition to Bill O'Brien as his new offensive coordinator.

"It's been good. It's been normal," Jones said at a Wednesday press conference. "I think everything he's done so far has been really good. I think the communication is the most important part - and trust. I think it all starts with that when you're with a new coach, and he's done a great job in controlling the room."

O'Brien is Jones' third offensive play-caller in as many seasons. Las Vegas Raiders head coach Josh McDaniels ran the offense during Jones' rookie year in 2021 but departed after that campaign.

Jones flourished under McDaniels, throwing for 3,801 yards with 22 touchdowns while leading New England to a playoff spot with a 10-7 regular-season record in 17 starts.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick gave play-calling duties to Matt Patricia following McDaniels' departure; Patricia had no prior experience calling offensive plays in the NFL.

New England's offense struggled under Patricia, finishing 26th in yards per game in 2022. Jones also regressed in his sophomore season, posting a 6-8 record in 14 starts while throwing for 2,997 yards with 14 touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

O'Brien served as Alabama's offensive coordinator over the last two years before joining the Patriots. Jones, who played for the Crimson Tide during his collegiate career, said he and O'Brien share common "lingo" from their time with the program.

"There's a lot of familiarity, but it's a new relationship still, and we're just working on that trust," Jones said. That's what I care about. I'm very much so a trustworthy person, and that's what we're trying to build."

Jones, 24, has thrown for 6,798 yards with 36 touchdowns and 24 interceptions in 31 NFL starts.

I fully expect Mac to have a bounce back season and show that last year was a result of the clown-car (mis)leadership of Patricia and judge

맥 존스는 우리의 QB1입니다

And Mac Jones Is Our QB1.

PFF called Mac Jones our QB1 way back on Aug. 20, 2021.
From the opening post of this thread...

"Much of the pre-draft scouting process was focused on what Jones couldn’t do. Very little time was spent analyzing what he actually excelled at, which is a shame because his final campaign at Alabama last year was one of the finest college seasons ever seen.

Jones posted an overall 95.8 PFF grade in 2020 on his way to winning a national title. That overall mark is higher than any single season grade from any of the past three No. 1 overall draft picks (Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Joe Burrow) in their college careers.

Quarterback Best PFF Grade Highest Adj. Comp. %
Mac Jones 95.8 84.2%
Joe Burrow 94.9 81.9%
Kyler Murray 94.6 78.9%
Baker Mayfield 94.5 80.6%

It’s the highest single-season overall grade PFF has ever given to a college quarterback, and that would be a pretty good starting point to talk up a player’s potential at the next level in any normal year. In a draft where Jones was being directly compared to near-flawless prospects like Trevor Lawrence, or players whose athleticism and physical tools are off the charts, the focus instead shifted to where he was deficient.

Jones is just an average athlete compared to the rest of the 2021 first-round quarterbacks, and that athleticism paired with his underwhelming physique became the focus. The idea of his mental traits and accuracy potentially offsetting those negatives became an afterthought. Back in April, I argued that they do, and the first glimpses of Jones in the NFL backs that up.

Through two preseason games, Jones has already shown that his mental traits and accuracy still play at this level. Obviously, preseason is a step down from the regular season, but it’s all there is to judge at this point. Jones currently has a 92.4 overall PFF grade, the second-best mark of any quarterback, although most of the Week 2 games are still to come. His adjusted completion rate is 80.6%, showing that his accuracy remains potent after a stellar Alabama career.

Rookie quarterbacks typically struggle the most with the mental adjustment to the next level. Only one first-year signal-caller over the past two seasons has averaged a time to throw below 2.6 seconds, a figure 16 veterans have been quicker than. The extra challenge that the NFL provides slows down their processing speed, and since that was Jones’ trump card in college, it stood to reason that a player with his style might struggle the most with the adjustment.

But Jones’ play thus far indicates that is not going to be the case. His average time to throw this preseason is 2.67 seconds, which is almost three-tenths faster than any other Patriots quarterback. The strengths that gave Jones an edge in college remain advantages to his game at the NFL level. If he is capable of running this offense as a rookie and delivering passes as accurately as he has been, it will take Newton’s best play since his MVP season (back in 2015) to keep Jones on the bench and away from the starting job.

Mac Jones looks ready to start for the Patriots right now.

The good old days (2021 season)

View: https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/status/1671937906175541248

I'm feeling better today about Mac Jones, than I did in the past. He's gotten good reviews of late, and the new offensive coach, Bill O'Brien, should help him alot.

Just a little something for all the Mac Jones isn't any good thinkers to think about

i

Mike Reiss, ESPN Staff Writer
Jul 2, 2023, 06:00 AM ET
10. Did You Know:
Patriots quarterback Mac Jones finished with a 65.2 completion percentage after finishing his rookie season with a 67.6 completion percentage. Jones joins the Chargers’ Justin Herbert and the Bengals’ Joe Burrow as the only quarterbacks to have completed at least 65% of their passes in their first two seasons. Herbert and Burrow are the only quarterbacks to accomplish this feat in their first three seasons.

Back