Mac Jones Is Our QB1

So your preferred QB losing against an inferior team (Patriots) would not be weird to you?

Put another way...

Your preferred QB losing against an inferior QB (Jones) would not be weird to you?

Why not?

The really weird thing is that even in a game that makes you feel horrible because we lost to a mediocre-ish team-- it's clear that the margin between
winning and losing, at least in this instance, was incredibly small. It's one of Bill's nauseating cliches, but "they made a few more plays than we did" is really
true.

Just thinking about Reagor losing motor control and breaking out the ping-pong paddles makes me flinch, but.....even if he did snag it there are a dozen different ways
.......ahhh, nevermind. I see so many guys making incredible stabs every week, but right now Douglas and maybe Hunter are the only guys who seem
to hang onto tough chances for this team. That's not enough.

It's like a virus. One guy gets the dropsies and it spreads. And vice-versa seems to me.

They’re many different types of Fans. Bandwagon, Pink hats, Player ,fair-weather , Team, die hards& Brady era fans. It’s clear some never watched a Patriots game. Before 2001 .
If their fandom is built around stipulations, Madden offense & big name players. They should look for a different team fits it.
You forgot one player and one player only groupie fans. They are so invested in their hero worship that they will public demean one of the greatest coaches of all time, just to make the object of their fantasy love look better.

You forgot one player and one player only groupie fans. They are so invested in their hero worship that they will public demean one of the greatest coaches of all time, just to make the object of their fantasy love look better.
After over 60 years I still have a soft spot for Sam Huff, but that didn't stop me from being a Patriots fan starting in 1960, I was a dual Giants and Pats fan for a few years but it didn't take long to become a loyal Pats fan. Similarly, Curtis Martin was one of my favortie Pats players, and I still liked him after he went to the Jets, but I was never a Jets fan or anti-Pats fan.

IMO, those who deride fans who "root for laundry" simply don't understand what it means to be a fan.

It's okay, but why is it always the most obnoxious people who are also the most strident. I thing the word troll is under-used. Some people simply like to spin up other people/groups...in other words, troll for a response.

The really weird thing is that even in a game that makes you feel horrible because we lost to a mediocre-ish team-- it's clear that the margin between
winning and losing, at least in this instance, was incredibly small. It's one of Bill's nauseating cliches, but "they made a few more plays than we did" is really
true.

Just thinking about Reagor losing motor control and breaking out the ping-pong paddles makes me flinch, but.....even if he did snag it there are a dozen different ways
.......ahhh, nevermind. I see so many guys making incredible stabs every week, but right now Douglas and maybe Hunter are the only guys who seem
to hang onto tough chances for this team. That's not enough.

It's like a virus. One guy gets the dropsies and it spreads. And vice-versa seems to me.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1721707329773609235

The difference in an average receiver and a great receiver is attention to details.

It's not speed or size or athleticism. Nuances matter. Applying what is learned on the practice field is important.

In that play by Reagor, tracking ability and hands were all important. His issue here is tracking - hand/eye coordination. He doesn't have it and never has had it.
The OC knows this (hell, I know this) so don't have him run those routes. That's on BOB.
OTOH, Douglas does have it. Those routes should be run by Douglas and not by Reagor.

I'll give another example: Early in the game, Thornton reaches his stem and takes 5 jab steps to make his cut to the outside. I couldn't believe my eyes.
That delay cost him a good reception for a 1st down and makes Mac look bad. I can assure you Ty Thornton has been coached up on how to make a good stem cut but he doesn't apply what he's been taught in practice to the game. It screwed up the timing of the play. That's on Thornton.
That may be the play that got Thornton pulled from the game. Mistakes like that should not be tolerated, especially for a 3rd year player.

View: https://twitter.com/SavageSports_/status/1721484850954207501

Here's another route Thornton screwed up. This is a timing route with Mac throwing to a spot. Thornton hesitates getting off the LOS and doesn't get to the spot in time.
Incompletion on 4th down looks like it's Mac's fault to the avg fan (and to the announcer) but that was entirely on Thornton not running the route the way it was drawn up.

View: https://twitter.com/AllISeeIsLegacy/status/1721229591514067226

Here's another route Thornton screwed up. This is a timing route with Mac throwing to a spot. Thornton hesitates getting off the LOS and doesn't get to the spot in time.
Incompletion on 4th down looks like it's Mac's fault to the avg fan (and to the announcer) but that was entirely on Thornton not running the route the way it was drawn up.

View: https://twitter.com/AllISeeIsLegacy/status/1721229591514067226
simple things like this hang the QB out to dry. But its easier to say Mac sucks, has no arm talent and pocket Awareness. There are Larger issues then him IMO.

So, was it weird to you? :)
It always is. We watched the better QB win for so long and with such regularity that it is weird when we see the team drag the quarterback down. One could look at that as MAC not being capable of dragging the team up and I’m sure many of the tankers and haters on here will do just that.

I prefer to look at it as 99% quarterbacks require a reasonably good team around them to be successful and include MAC. If provided with that MAC is a playoff quarterback. Maybe more as he gets better.

Last edited:
simple things like this hang the QB out to dry. But its easier to say Mac sucks, has no arm talent and pocket Awareness. There are Larger issues then him IMO.
Larger issues than him? No. QB is the Pats #1 need. The offense is based off of the QB.

A #1 WR, LT, RT are after that. Add in a pass catching RB too.

Larger issues than him? No. QB is the Pats #1 need. The offense is based off of the QB.

You know what, I'm sorry I even spoke up on it. I'm not going to talk about any of it any more.

And that is the very essence of the disagreement on Mac. Some of us see what he's capable of, and want to give him what he needs (and does not have) and others want to throw everything down the drain and try to come up with an entirely new team.

View: https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1721707329773609235

The difference in an average receiver and a great receiver is attention to details.

It's not speed or size or athleticism. Nuances matter. Applying what is learned on the practice field is important.

In that play by Reagor, tracking ability and hands were all important. His issue here is tracking - hand/eye coordination. He doesn't have it and never has had it.
The OC knows this (hell, I know this) so don't have him run those routes. That's on BOB.
OTOH, Douglas does have it. Those routes should be run by Douglas and not by Reagor.

I'll give another example: Early in the game, Thornton reaches his stem and takes 5 jab steps to make his cut to the outside. I couldn't believe my eyes.
That delay cost him a good reception for a 1st down and makes Mac look bad. I can assure you Ty Thornton has been coached up on how to make a good stem cut but he doesn't apply what he's been taught in practice to the game. It screwed up the timing of the play. That's on Thornton.
That may be the play that got Thornton pulled from the game. Mistakes like that should not be tolerated, especially for a 3rd year player.

View: https://twitter.com/SavageSports_/status/1721484850954207501
And the scouting staff never saw this coming?
That’s inexcusable.

None of what anyone says here will change what the Pats do anyway, it’s simply our opinions expressed.

Everyone deserves their own opinions though.
100%. The frustrating part for me (and I’m sure for others obviously) is the abject refusal to “see” what is so very obvious to others.

The easy path is to simply say Mac sucks. But quite honestly, as Chev has easily and clearly shown, Mac isn’t perfect, but he’s more than capable. The real problems are elsewhere, and some folks just can’t get past the Mac hate. It’s weird, because some of these folks actually are knowledgeable, but they are too far gone. They can’t see it.

Properly equipped, Mac Jones is a playoff winning quarterback right now. These players are few and far between in the NFL. To throw him away as some here demand is very shortsighted. Fix the offensive line and get him even just an average receiver room. If you step back and look at the last three seasons, with wide open eyes, the blame lies firmly at the feet of Bill Belichick for not already getting this done.

I don’t know, @chevss454 , am I nuts?

Everyone deserves their own opinions though.
The problem I see since I read more posts than I use to, people have their opinions, feel they are right, want the last word, and than get ticked at other members here who can't see what they see.

If people stuck to the fact everyone here deserves their own opinion and move on things would be nicer.

100%. The frustrating part for me (and I’m sure for others obviously) is the abject refusal to “see” what is so very obvious to others.

The easy path is to simply say Mac sucks. But quite honestly, as Chev has easily and clearly shown, Mac isn’t perfect, but he’s more than capable. The real problems are elsewhere, and some folks just can’t get past the Mac hate. It’s weird, because some of these folks actually are knowledgeable, but they are too far gone. They can’t see it.

Properly equipped, Mac Jones is a playoff winning quarterback right now. These players are few and far between in the NFL. To throw him away as some here demand is very shortsighted. Fix the offensive line and get him even just an average receiver room. If you step back and look at the last three seasons, with wide open eyes, the blame lies firmly at the feet of Bill Belichick for not already getting this done.

I don’t know, @chevss454 , am I nuts?

I don't think you or anyone is nuts, I just disagree that Mac is a playoff winning QB. It's as simple and non-dramatic as that. It's just a differing opinion.

I think Mac has too many glaring weaknesses. Arm strength, physicality, pocket poise, mental flakiness, poor footwork. There's too much there for me.

Maybe he could be great, but I genuinely don't see it.

The problem I see since I read more posts than I use to, people have their opinions, feel they are right, want the last word, and than get ticked at other members here who can't see what they see.

If people stuck to the fact everyone here deserves their own opinion and move on things would be nicer.
Very true

Back