Mac Jones Is Our QB1

Over all he is 65% on 3rd down. Not sure how that ranks vs. the others but that SEEMS really good to me.

We can talk about "training wheels" and play calling all we want. But unless the OL gives him more than 1.5 seconds, he is never going to show his full potential.
The OL is an issue, there is no doubt. But the play calling is worse. They have literally thousands of play variations to run and a good chunk of them get the ball out fast. We watched it happen for DECADES.

Vanilla runs between the tackles, screens and trick plays isn't getting it done. The kid knows the offense. He is accurate as all hell. He makes good decisions for an NFL QB. He makes great decisions for a rookie NFL QB.

I am convinced that JMD is calling the games scared. You only have to look at the Cowboys game to see it. He opened up the offense to start the game and it was great. Then his sphincter tightened up and he crawled back into bed curled up in the fetal position. The Patriots made mistakes in that game, but the largest one was McDaniel's play calling. Had he crawled out of bed the 4th quarter on that could very well (and should) been a win.

By the way, my brother mentioned that teh pick 6 last week was not on Mac, but rather the receiver owned up to running the route too shallow. The ball was were the receiver was supposed to be but wasn't. Is this true?

@A, it may not be Mac's ability that is limiting the playcalling, but the other players'.
I was thinking recently that this is the first time in 20 years that Bill has brought in so many new players to the offense in particular. Perhaps the expectations were too high that all of these players could learn the system, culture and with a rookie QB on top and everything be seamless like we are used to. Agahlor and Smith have been really disappointing. Henry and Bourne look like they are starting to figure things out some. So we may just need to be more patient.

I was thinking recently that this is the first time in 20 years that Bill has brought in so many new players to the offense in particular. Perhaps the expectations were too high that all of these players could learn the system, culture and with a rookie QB on top and everything be seamless like we are used to. Agahlor and Smith have been really disappointing. Henry and Bourne look like they are starting to figure things out some. So we may just need to be more patient.
I think someone was hacked :LOL:

going in motion can be tricky, what if he is supposed to go in motion but then stop and turn around and go back the other direction. we just need to be patience with him :)
In that case, maybe he's just super efficient and got to where he was supposed to be that much faster!

I can recall on Draft night being shocked when he dropped into our laps and finally the Pats drafted the guy many of us wanted. At last, that actually happened. He was the perfect guy to lead this lost tribe out of the desert and get us back where we're used to being.
I remember telling BB (via my television) to TRADE UP! Every pick I was afraid some would pick him or trade up. I was convinced at pick #14 that the Vikings were going so select him. Why wouldn't they? I'll go to my grave thanking the Jete for trading with the Vikes.

I started off 2021 hoping stidham would be the guy, but if not then Jones. Then I wavered between him and Lance until about a week before the draft when I saw a couple of pre-draft scouting youtube videos. THey were glowing because he wasn't a threat to run, but they kept talking about reading and manipulating defenses, accuracy, and throwing players open.

All in all, even those who complained about Jones' selection in the draft thread are surely all on board now.

This isn't about Mac but related,,
Tony Pauline wrote about the upcoming draft,
1) There are not any QBs in the next draft to get excited about.
2) There are two types of QBs, ones that can read defenses, and those that can't. The ones that can't read defenses keep getting drafted because coaches think they can teach them to. But they never do.

Back