Mac Jones Is Our QB1

High Five Group Hug GIF by Hospital Show

4-5 of us, including you, were making a case for Mac Jones early in the period leading up to the draft. You, BSF, Hawg and me were all pushing for BB to draft Mac Jones as the perfect fit for the Pats starting mid-December. Who was first doesn't matter but I can say that, yes, you were among the first. What matters is that we all got it right on draft day.

Thank you, Chevs.

It was a cabal of the true believers and it doesn't really matter who was first. Only that we were able to ignore the noise and the doubters and see the truly remarkable skillset he brings
to his team.

I can recall on Draft night being shocked when he dropped into our laps and finally the Pats drafted the guy many of us wanted. At last, that actually happened. He was the perfect guy to lead this lost tribe out of the desert and get us back where we're used to being.

His progress towards that end has been way better than expected despite a ton of problems not named Mac Jones. I had hopes he could pick the system up quickly, but never dreamed that he could come this far in such a short time. His floor is high but his ceiling is way higher. Way.

Some sunny day real soon we're going to see a game where he has enough time to take a second look, the skill players are dialed in and he is going to absolutely dominate somebody and then
this thing gets rolling again. And then some folks are going to get a bit uncomfortable when they see us on the schedule.

I'd refine that prediction a bit, but I don't want to show off. Soon.

High Five Group Hug GIF by Hospital Show

4-5 of us, including you, were making a case for Mac Jones early in the period leading up to the draft. You, BSF, Hawg and me were all pushing for BB to draft Mac Jones as the perfect fit for the Pats starting mid-December. Who was first doesn't matter but I can say that, yes, you were among the first. What matters is that we all got it right on draft day.

I thought he was a perfect fit for the Pats, but I also thought there was no way he would make it past the first 5 picks considering Burrow went 1st the year before.

Well, I guess you could say I've never been happier about being wrong.

I thought he was a perfect fit for the Pats, but I also thought there was no way he would make it past the first 5 picks considering Burrow went 1st the year before.

He is not considered fast compared to others. From what I have read during the draft Justin Fields was considered a dual threat QB that allows you to do things Mac can't. Trey Lance was considered more mobile and a player you could develope better.

I am sure they had other things on their spreadsheet of why they didn't choose Mac or hoped he would fall further so they could pick him up like Washington and others.

But Mac Jones Is Our QB1

I still love his walk after he was drafted. He walked with a purposed that to me said, "You MF'ers didn't pick me, I will show you why you should have," kind of walk. LOLOL

Edited.

Talk in here too

Last edited:

That was my logic as well. How crazy is our world where Burrow has a great year at LSU and then Mac Jones betters that and wins the national title as well, and somehow magically in a 12 month span the logic applied changes.

This is how dumb some franchises are. They think they're the smartest people in the room and then convince themselves, probably with the help of the prospect's agent, that they're magically a better prospect.

How is Trey Lance a better prospect out of DIv 2 and that schedule and seeing his game tape? Same with Zach Wilson. I mean, he was playing Div2 level teams last year and technically had a worse year than they year prior a la Sam Darnold. The Jets just completely ignored it.

And, then Fields....He might be good, but how is he a better prospect than Jones? In a nutshell, I don't trust QBs that like to do a lot of running. It's nice if your QB can scramble on a 3rd and 5 to move the sticks, but generally speaking I don't want it as a part of the QBs game. Mahomes has been hurt 2 years in a row, Mayfield just got hurt. I mean, it's gonna happen. Happened to Wentz, too.

Yet, all these GMs just whistle past the graveyard with it.

Burrow got hurt because he had no OL. That's more franchise stupidity from the Bungles. But, Burrow is a slam dunk prospect as is Mac.

That was my logic as well. How crazy is our world where Burrow has a great year at LSU and then Mac Jones betters that and wins the national title as well, and somehow magically in a 12 month span the logic applied changes.

This is how dumb some franchises are. They think they're the smartest people in the room and then convince themselves, probably with the help of the prospect's agent, that they're magically a better prospect.

How is Trey Lance a better prospect out of DIv 2 and that schedule and seeing his game tape? Same with Zach Wilson. I mean, he was playing Div2 level teams last year and technically had a worse year than they year prior a la Sam Darnold. The Jets just completely ignored it.

And, then Fields....He might be good, but how is he a better prospect than Jones? In a nutshell, I don't trust QBs that like to do a lot of running. It's nice if your QB can scramble on a 3rd and 5 to move the sticks, but generally speaking I don't want it as a part of the QBs game. Mahomes has been hurt 2 years in a row, Mayfield just got hurt. I mean, it's gonna happen. Happened to Wentz, too.

Yet, all these GMs just whistle past the graveyard with it.

Burrow got hurt because he had no OL. That's more franchise stupidity from the Bungles. But, Burrow is a slam dunk prospect as is Mac.

100% on preferring smart pocket passers. We all should prefer that after the last 20 years.

WRT the change in sentiment over the last couple of years it is because of the success that Mahomes, Wilson et al have had combined with "change" that people want.

All of that said, Dak showed us the perfect combo package last week. 85% smart pocket passer and 15% extend the play/move the pocket athlete.

Last edited:
McDaniels needs to take the damn training wheels off. Every time Jones has to do something without McDaniels' input, it's either a laser, or some sick touch pass thrown into tiny windows.

McDaniels needs to take the damn training wheels off. Every time Jones has to do something without McDaniels' input, it's either a laser, or some sick touch pass thrown into tiny windows.
McDoofus is prone to over-thinking. I think we've all seen it where he gets too cute for his own good and then the play doesn't play fast or efficient on a series. It's annoying. At some point, you just play football and roll up the old sleeves.

McDoofus is prone to over-thinking. I think we've all seen it where he gets too cute for his own good and then the play doesn't play fast or efficient on a series. It's annoying. At some point, you just play football and roll up the old sleeves.
I don't think McDaniels is being 'too cute', and he's an excellent offensive coordinator, I wouldn't want anyone else.

I think he's just got training wheels on Jones that don't need to be there. If that's the edict from Belichick, that's one thing, but I don't think it is. He's let McDaniels handle the offense by himself for a long, long time now.

I don't think McDaniels is being 'too cute', and he's an excellent offensive coordinator, I wouldn't want anyone else.

I think he's just got training wheels on Jones that don't need to be there. If that's the edict from Belichick, that's one thing, but I don't think it is. He's let McDaniels handle the offense by himself for a long, long time now.
I agree with this. However, I also agree he's trying to be too cute. No sane office of coordinator calls three screens in a row unless they think they're outsmarting somebody in a cute way. Even with training wheels on there are 40 plays he could call or variations of them I should say, that weren't another screen. So yes, he has the training wheels on and MAC wrapped in bubble wrap but he's also trying to be cute.

As I've said before, Belichick is the greatest coach ever. That said, he needs to recognize the mistakes that his talented but overthinking offensive coordinator is making this year.

I agree with this. However, I also agree he's trying to be too cute. No sane office of coordinator calls three screens in a row unless they think they're outsmarting somebody in a cute way. Even with training wheels on there are 40 plays he could call or variations of them I should say, that weren't another screen. So yes, he has the training wheels on and MAC wrapped in bubble wrap but he's also trying to be cute.

As I've said before, Belichick is the greatest coach ever. That said, he needs to recognize the mistakes that his talented but overthinking offensive coordinator is making this year.
I think he's just that scared of Jones making a mistake.

Edit: It's like watching Charlie Weis/Tom Brady in 2001.

I think he's just that scared of Jones making a mistake.

Some of this, yes.

More so I also think he knows he has the keys to a 911 GTS and doesn't want to crash it. He is calling scared.

Last edited:

Agree with the latter, but but not the former. McDoofus is known to wait too late to make adjustments in games and stick to plays that are way too predictable. That 3rd and 1 to Bolden was terrible.

His biggest flaw, and he still has it, is the idea he subs in the back to run either a run play or a pass play. The backs usually dictate the play call. Playaction off of Bolden and a roll out was the call there.

I'd rather have Kellen Moore, Bienemy, Daboll, or even old friend Kevin O'Connell out with the Rams. McDaniels gets way too much credit.

Tough kid. Super tough kid,” Agholor said. “Truly loves the game of football. That’s one thing I’ll say. Because some of these things that have happened, they’ve been tough on him, and I can tell his passion and his love and respect for this game. Every week he just bounces back and comes to practice with a smile on his face ready to work hard because losing hurts. He doesn’t like it and I have a lot of respect for him because of that.”

I'd love to see what Mac can do if he could stand in the pocket and run through the progressions consistently.
Are you watching the Browns/Broncos game? Keenum just took a hit. It happens. QBs take hits. Also, Denver's Run D is being shredded by two RBs for over 100 yards so far halfway through the 2nd qtr.

I think sometimes we watch this sports in a microcosm of everything New England, which is natural for fans of a team, but if you watch enough NFL games, a lot of it is over-sold sometimes.

Once the O Line can be healthy and settle in, I think you'll see more of that consistent pocket time we're all looking for. But, I agree. If he's good like this now, imagine what it would be if her has more time consistently.

McD and Mac are getting to know each other with the fog of a constantly changing OL in the background. Mac has done everything possible to earn McD's trust and soon he will have it.
Maybe as soon as our OL is healthy without the musical chairs. Maybe against the JETE this week.

Back