Making a Murderer

<header id="SideTop-1-HeadComponentTitle" class="canvas-header" data-reactid=".2dkem9uss8w.$render-target-default.0.0.2.3.0.0.0.0.0.0.$SideTop-1-HeadComponentTitleProxy.$SideTop-1-HeadComponentTitle">'Making a Murderer': Your Netflix Holiday Must-Watch

</header>
341b4cf9f4a94f447ecae8597fd620eb57f208cd.png.cf.jpg

I dare you to click on the first episode of Netflix’s new 10-episode documentary Making a Murderer and not become instantly drawn in to this shocking, and shockingly good, real-life murder mystery.It’s the story of Steven Avery, who spent 18 years in prison, convicted of a sexual assault charge that DNA evidence eventually — a long, long eventuality, obviously — got him freed. A working-class man in Wisconsin, not especially articulate, Avery isn’t the sort of person who would usually become a symbol of justice, but that’s what happens: his case is transformed by the media and his lawyers into a heroic tale of a man who overcame a possibly-corrupt local law-enforcement system that may have railroaded Avery into the slammer.
But then, out of jail in 2003, it’s not too long after that that Avery is charged with an even worse crime. As a viewer, you’re rocked back: What? Steven Avery, the earnest man we’ve now heard in taped phone calls with his mother and other loved ones — how can he possibly have committed a vicious act against a different woman, possibly with the aid of his 16 year-old nephew?

These are, mind you, the bare bones of the “plot” of this real-life story. Producer-directors Laura Ricciardi and Moira Demos spent more than a decade making Murderer, and the filmmaking here is exceptional.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/making-a-murderer-netflix-steven-avery-142612139.html

Just finished 9th episode and will watch the finale tomorrow evening.

If there's any material that will make you seriously question the reliability of the criminal justice system, this is it.

Thanks Moose for the heads up we just finished episode 7. Plan to finish up after the game. You goy my hubby hooked he stayed up until 1 AM watching.

~Dee~

I have know idea why the government doesn't look at this case and check into a conspiracy
The Brendan case is the most appalling thing I've seen in a long time. And that's including the bogus and ridiculous Avery case. This entire thing was a debacle and it's embarrassing any of these clowns are still employed in positions of power and confidence.

Also clearly the state of Wisconsin is layered in corruption from ground up. Cops, detectives, lawyers, judges, government officials.

It's insane.

The Brendan case is the most appalling thing I've seen in a long time. And that's including the bogus and ridiculous Avery case. This entire thing was a debacle and it's embarrassing any of these clowns are still employed in positions of power and confidence.

This I have worked in the system for a long time. There is no way his testimony should have been used or at the very least a psychologist along with his attorney should have been present. This completely blows my mind. I mean I've seen some questionable stuff but this wasn't questionable this was out and out outrageous. He was maybe a 10 year old mentally and I may be being kind. Did he know right from wrong sure. Did he think not pleasing law enforcement was wrong absolutely. I can't believe they haven't charge the prosecutor. I also read the victins family, ( the brother). Filed a wrongful death suit before AVerys 36 million case was settled or abandoned.

~Dee~

I just finished episode 10 and can say this was one of the most binge-worthy shows I've watched in a while. It's weirdly voyeuristic in giving us a ring-side seat into a small town populated with small minds and ugly people.

Watching it reminded me of how I always feel better when I happen to visit a Wal-Mart, because "at least I'm not like those freaks". However, I can't be sure they don't look at me the exact same way.

There were enough twists and turns to this thing to feel physically shocked at times. Just watching the news media conducting daily post-court sessions with just about everybody involved was really strange. They seemed to be as dumbfounded as I was with the bizarre goings on. Stunned. Wisconsin seems to have the most fvcked-up system of justice imaginable.

I think everybody can agree that Brendan Dassey got screwed. I cannot fathom how his "confession" was allowed as legitimate. He, like most of the people involved in this film seemed to have sub-standard intellect. Generally, the only people that displayed any real ability to reason during the entire show seemed to be Steven's attorneys. It was an idiot-fest.

I should mention that I usually identify with the prosecution in cases like this. I'm not a huge fan of the ACLU or legal technicalities allowing scumbags to walk the streets, but those guys came off as borderline heroic to me.

I found their defense to be compelling and mostly convincing. For instance, there is no way in hell those Toyota keys weren't planted as evidence. Any idiot would have found them in the first half-hour of a search. Even mentally handicapped trailer-trash deserve better than that.

However, the filmmakers might have considered and covered the possibility that Steven Avery is actually a murderous sociopath/psychopath. If so, then he was quite a remarkable one whose limited IQ didn't hurt his ability to lie smoothly and cooly at all times. He didn't SOUND much like a guilty man. It the interests of balance they should have at least sought opinions from experts in criminal psychology. Preferably from somewhere other than Wiscahnsin.

Some people may consider Cops that would plant keys would also plant anything else, like charred bones, but even though I am troubled by the chain of evidence, I'm not ready to go there. The Toyota itself is a giant question mark, imo. The whole thing made no sense.

I was left feeling uncertain of whether Steven Avery belongs in jail or not regardless of how the case played out legally.

Wisconsin has whats called Diploma privilege. So if you go to one of the 2 approved Law schools in the state upon graduation you are admitted to the Bar without taking the exam. Could answer the inept portion regarding the "legal" system and those who practice. I mean they do have to graduate but……...:shrug_n:

As far as Brandon's confession the only thing I can think of was that the reason they were able to get warrants and arrest Avery was based on said confession so they had to stick by it even if it was implausible for it to have happened the way he confessed it originally.

The fact that Wisconsin doesn't allow the defense to introduce other possible suspects as part of the defense strategy is weird too.

I also can't be sure if he does belong in prison but I'm fairly certain Brandon doesn't.

~Dee~

I was left feeling uncertain of whether Steven Avery belongs in jail or not regardless of how the case played out legally.

Here's the issue - Steven might be guilty, but there isn't a shred of actual evidence that points to him. No motive. Other people on the property had the same motive (or lack there of) and means of opportunity. They weren't even questioned as suspects. Her ex-boyfriend and brother were very strange, yet neither was asked to provide an alibi.

Brendan and Steven were convicted on the same crime based on two entirely different descriptions of the crime from the prosecution. In Steven's case, she was killed in the garage. In Brendan's, she was killed in the trailer. In one case she was shot in a garage full of cluttered shit. In the other she had her throat slashed and was violently raped while chained to a bed. Absolutely ZERO physical evidence to support either theory. And yet, both were convicted.

Kratz did an excellent job of poisoning the jury pool with that despicable press conference following Brendan's confession.

Steven's lawyers were amazing to be honest. They came off as calm, measured and truly interested in justice. Strang has done a few interviews since the doc's release and he's a very interesting and intelligent speaker. He's not sure if Steven did it or not, but he's entirely certain that there was not even close to enough evidence to believe (beyond a reasonable doubt) that he did. Even with the clearly planted evidence. Unfortunately, Strang believes Steven has almost zero chance of ever getting out unless new evidence emerges. He doesn't comment much on Brendan's case, but I think it's clear anyone with half a brain can see just how totally ****ed Brendan's life is because of scrum like Kratz. How this abortion of a conviction was achieved and then upheld on numerous appeals is beyond me.

Neither of these men should be in jail. Steven may be guilty, but the prosecution sure as **** didn't get anyone near proving that and the frame job makes a mockery of everything the justice system is supposed to stand for.

What I don't get is why did the nephew basically say he did it. I'm on episode 3 right now .

Here's the issue - Steven might be guilty, but there isn't a shred of actual evidence that points to him. No motive. Other people on the property had the same motive (or lack there of) and means of opportunity. They weren't even questioned as suspects. Her ex-boyfriend and brother were very strange, yet neither was asked to provide an alibi.

Brendan and Steven were convicted on the same crime based on two entirely different descriptions of the crime from the prosecution. In Steven's case, she was killed in the garage. In Brendan's, she was killed in the trailer. In one case she was shot in a garage full of cluttered shit. In the other she had her throat slashed and was violently raped while chained to a bed. Absolutely ZERO physical evidence to support either theory. And yet, both were convicted.

Kratz did an excellent job of poisoning the jury pool with that despicable press conference following Brendan's confession.

Steven's lawyers were amazing to be honest. They came off as calm, measured and truly interested in justice. Strang has done a few interviews since the doc's release and he's a very interesting and intelligent speaker. He's not sure if Steven did it or not, but he's entirely certain that there was not even close to enough evidence to believe (beyond a reasonable doubt) that he did. Even with the clearly planted evidence. Unfortunately, Strang believes Steven has almost zero chance of ever getting out unless new evidence emerges. He doesn't comment much on Brendan's case, but I think it's clear anyone with half a brain can see just how totally ****ed Brendan's life is because of scrum like Kratz. How this abortion of a conviction was achieved and then upheld on numerous appeals is beyond me.

Neither of these men should be in jail. Steven may be guilty, but the prosecution sure as **** didn't get anyone near proving that and the frame job makes a mockery of everything the justice system is supposed to stand for.

I agree with just about all of this.

They didn't prove shit and the jury was probably a lot like the local cops-- apparently they decided that Avery was just no-good white trash and deserved to do life regardless of how full-of-holes the evidence was. The fix was in.

Neither should have been convicted which is a different argument from what actually happened to Theresa Halbach, which I thought was given less attention than it deserved in the overall production.

I think back to the videotape they showed of her speculating on what would happen if she died in 3 years, which turned out to be exactly what happened. That was truly eerie.

Back