Mankins will skip OTA's per his agent

chevss454

Data-driven decision-making is science and art.
Reaction score
This can't be good.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Logan-Mankins-to-skip-organized-team-activity.html

New England Patriots veteran offensive guard Logan Mankins won't be attending the team's organized team activities this week.

Mankins has been seeking a long-term contract and his agent, Frank Bauer, told Comcast Sportsnet New England that his client won't show up unless there's a new deal.

Mankins is an unsigned restricted free agent who was assigned a $3.268 million one-year tender.
When asked if progress had been made, Bauer replied: "Not at this time."

Why not to expect Logan Mankins at OTAs tomorrow… and why it doesn’t matter

The Patriots will begin their Organized Team Activities tomorrow, the first of 12 voluntary sessions before mandatory mini-camp. Don’t expect Patriots guard Logan Mankins to attend any of them this week. Don’t expect it to mean anything, either.
For coach Bill Belichick, the first four workouts are aimed at rookies, younger players, and selected veterans hoping for an accelerated learning curve and special attention. Dudes like Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and potentially Mankins aren’t even slated to take part until June 1.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/s...ns-at-otas-tomorrow-and-why-it-doesnt-matter/

Maybe. Though he was tendered at a 1st and 3rd and no one made a move for him.

Good point. I am not sure its the same as branch. I believe the pats had no intention of paying branch that kind of money. I really think they are trying to work out something with Mankins.

Since his contract is over, could he technically retire? Is anyone still in charge of him?

Mankins is a hell of a player, at a very important position. I hope this gets settled without much hastle.

Mankins is a hell of a player, at a very important position. I hope this gets settled without much hastle.

Yeah I do not want to be playing Musical Olineman again this year.

This will get resolved. Seems like every year there is one of these. I don't blame him and the Patriots have to stick by their value, for now.

Someone will move and it will be done.

<<
This can't be good.
Since his contract is over, could he technically retire?
>>

Happening all over the league because of the uncapped year. All teams have RFAs that are pissed off because they were supposed to be UFAs. With the lockout/strike looming ever more certain the teams aren't writing a lot of new contracts at the moment and they have every right not to do so.

As to retirement yes any player can technically retire at any time, but believe the player has to stay retired for at least a year to void any existing contract, and in a situation like this the team has a lot of options and is in control.

If he doesn't sign his rfa tender he can't play for anyone else this year. If he retires he can't play for anyone else this year. The only way he can play is to sign the tender or get a new contract from the team which I doubt the Pats will cough up. What's he gonna do, pass up well over a million dollars for one year's work ? Nope. He'll wait till right before the June 15 cutoff that teams can reduce the amount they pay the rfa's and sign then.

Happening all over the league because of the uncapped year. All teams have RFAs that are pissed off because they were supposed to be UFAs. With the lockout/strike looming ever more certain the teams aren't writing a lot of new contracts at the moment and they have every right not to do so.

As to retirement yes any player can technically retire at any time, but believe the player has to stay retired for at least a year to void any existing contract, and in a situation like this the team has a lot of options and is in control.

If he doesn't sign his rfa tender he can't play for anyone else this year. If he retires he can't play for anyone else this year. The only way he can play is to sign the tender or get a new contract from the team which I doubt the Pats will cough up. What's he gonna do, pass up well over a million dollars for one year's work ? Nope. He'll wait till right before the June 15 cutoff that teams can reduce the amount they pay the rfa's and sign then.

As you say, Mankins has very little leverage. Skipping OTAs is one of the few things he can do that won't cost him money. I kind of doubt that Pats would actually cut his pay, as that would make things more acrimonious. But I'm doubt much will happen until close to June 15, as you say.

Q: Why havent they signed him?

A: No football next year

Yeah I do not want to be playing Musical Olineman again this year.

Besides Neal missing his usual 4 games and Light getting hurt (which may have been a godsend because they found out how good SeaBass is) what are these musical chairs you speak of?

Besides Neal missing his usual 4 games and Light getting hurt (which may have been a godsend because they found out how good SeaBass is) what are these musical chairs you speak of?

Kaczur, Koppen and Vollmer were also banged up last year. Light, Neal, Vollmer and Kaczur all missed time due to injury. Kaczur's ankle injury was one of the reasons he was so ineffective against Mathis in the Colts' game, and we know how that turned out. I think the entire line (except maybe for Mankins) was on the injury report prior to the Saints game, and we also know how that worked out.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1324-New-...ook-to-take-advantage?cid=channel-rss-Sports

Injury reports......................... :coffee:

Koppen started all 16 games
Kaczur has never started 16 games so his situation isnt any different.

Injury reports......................... :coffee:

Koppen started all 16 games
Kaczur has never started 16 games so his situation isnt any different.

I know he started all 16 games. I said he was banged up. Have Koppen banged up, Kaczur banged up (and Vollmer out with a concussion) and Connolly starting for Neal in between them, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I thought Mankins had until June 15th to sign or the Patscould lower the offer to about half

and the reason the date is so important is because it is the 1st day of one of the Patriots camps - or simply put sign the tender show up or possibly lose 1.5 million

I thought Mankins had until June 15th to sign or the Patscould lower the offer to about half

and the reason the date is so important is because it is the 1st day of one of the Patriots camps - or simply put sign the tender show up or possibly lose 1.5 million

That's correct - if Mankins doesn't sign the tender by June 15 the Pats have the right to reduce it to 110% of his 2009 salary, which is around $1.5M. I'm not sure they would actually do that, as that would escalate bad feeling between the two camps. But even as a threat it's leverage.

Carolina RFA CB Richard Marshall has changed his position and decided to show up for OTAs despite not getting a new deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8184f667&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

I'm actually surprised no one tried to sign Marshall, since Carolina tendered him at only a 2nd round level.

Maybe if more RFAs show up it will undermine Mankins' stance somewhat, especially if he thinks he's more likely to get a long term deal by showing up than by holding out.

Back