Matt Light selected AFC Pro Bowl Squad

Ras

Prolate Spheriod Fan
Reaction score
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Patriots offensive tackle Matt Light has been selected to his first career Pro Bowl. He becomes the first Patriots offensive lineman to earn an All-Star selection since center Damien Woody following the 2002 season and is the first Patriots offensive tackle to head to Hawaii since Bruce Armstrong following the 1997 season. Light joins Armstrong, Brian Holloway and Leon Gray as the only Patriots offensive tackles to be selected to the Pro Bowl since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

The 2007 Pro Bowl will be played on Saturday, Feb. 10. Head Coach Bill Belichick and the Patriots staff will coach the AFC squad. Light was added to the AFC All-Star team to replace Baltimore’s Jonathan Ogden.

Light, 28, is a veteran of six NFL seasons and has played in 81 career games with 79 starts at left tackle since being selected by the Patriots in the second round (48th overall) of the 2001 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4-inch, 305-pound offensive lineman has played in and started 12 career playoff games, including each of the Patriots’ three Super Bowl victories. In 2006, Light started all 16 regular season games and each of the Patriots’ three playoff contests at left tackle. He was part of an offensive line that paved the way for 1,969 rushing yards in 2006. New England’s 2006 rushing yardage was the second highest Patriots team total in 18 years, trailing only the club’s 2004 total (2,134 yards) over that span. Additionally, New England allowed just 29 sacks in 2006, tying a franchise record by allowing fewer than 30 sacks for the third consecutive season.

The Purdue product started 66 consecutive games for the Patriots at left tackle between 2001 and 2005. In 2004, he was a part of an offensive line that enjoyed one of the most successful seasons in club history, paving the way for the team to average more than four yards per carry for the first time in 19 seasons as Corey Dillon set the franchise record with 1,635 rushing yards. New England also allowed just 26 sacks in 2004, the fewest by a Patriots team in a decade, and claimed the Super Bowl XXXIX title that season. In 2003, Light started every game for an offensive line that did not allow a sack in any of the team’s three playoff games en route to victory in Super Bowl XXXVIII. As a rookie in 2001, Light started 12 of 14 regular season games as New England averaged 112.2 rushing yards per game and claimed the Super Bowl XXXVI championship.

Re: Re: Matt Light selected AFC Pro Bowl Squad

Box_O_Rocks on 02-06-2007 at 05:21 PM said:
:dance: :dance:

Happy days for all the Light detractors!

I'm sure Tom Brady's chiropractor is happy.
Now I know the Pro Bowl means SH&T!!!!:rolleyes:

Geez, is it just me, or did Matt Light fairly blow this season? At best, he was average.

It's kind of sad when the two Pro Bowl representatives weren't even the best Patriots at their positions.

If this doesn't show that the Pro Bowl is just a popularity contest, then nothing will. Basically, the voters didn't know the names of any other Patriot O-linemen. :shake:

Just another sign of disrespect for the :pat:

Matt should've been chosen to go in the first place because he's that good. Instead, someone begs off due to "injury" and they pick Matt to replace him. Same thing happened to Troy Brown in the week following SB 36.

The "Pro" Bowl is just so much bs.

Those that should go don't get selected and a lot of the ones that do get selected bow out due to an "injury".

I don't understand why the NFL even bothers to have this "game" anymore.

#54 on 02-06-2007 at 06:01 PM said:
I don't understand why the NFL even bothers to have this "game" anymore.

Upon further review, I do understand why.

It's the $$ the NFL gets from the advertisers. :doh:

Even though I don't really care, I would rather not have Light play but good for him.

Matt Light went up against many of the NFL's top defensive ends this past season, and did pretty well. He had about 13 very good games, and a couple of bad games. But, as I've said before, our favorite Patriots don't take the field against "nobody". They're trying to beat and trying to stop the nfl's best week in and week out. You know, they're not just putting up free throws up there. Was he beaten by Freeney a couple of times. Hell yeah. Who wasn't?

Let's see....stats don't tell the whole story, but how many times was Brady sacked this year? Same as almost any year....about 25 or so....and the Pats had a decent offense, that had alot of offensive plays, once again. Matt Light is an excellent left tackle.

Matt Light made Shawne Merriman a non factor, so yeah, he deserves it.

Doesn't the coach of the respective team pick the injury replacements? Or am I thinking baseball?

But yeah, Light's number on Merriman was hailed by LT's everywhere, no doubt.

jczxohn1 on 02-06-2007 at 09:33 PM said:
Doesn't the coach of the respective team pick the injury replacements? Or am I thinking baseball?

But yeah, Light's number on Merriman was hailed by LT's everywhere, no doubt.

I heard LT was reported going ballistic after the game because he felt Light was "disrespecting" Merriman by keeping him from being a factor in the game.

The Pro Bowl is a joke. They should just give them a free Hawaiin vacation, and forget playing that game.
The selection process is flawed, too. Players get in that don`t deserve it, and deserving players don`t get picked.....like Vince Young, not Tom Brady, being selected as Rivers replacement. Thats is unbelievable.

heard on Felger's show. Belichick was talking about punting in the Pro Bowl with Brad Seley.

Seley says that it is the Pro Bowl and he hoped they weren't punting and Belichick responded:

"Well, we have Light blocking Peppers so.........."

Back