Mayo HC

?

If so, will he be any good?

What makes him the right choice over other candidates?
Who knows - he's never even been a coordinator - the owner and the media love him, so there's that.

Let's hope so.

Think about it. When Bill came here, he had cut his teeth with a whole range of jobs, starting at the very bottom as an assistant at the Baltimore Colts in 1975, working his way up the tree at the Lions, Broncos, working with incredibly experienced, great coaches along the way and becoming DC at the Giants working with legends of the game, then HC at the Browns and put together a stellar coaching line up and after a few other roles gets to us as HC. He arrived here with 25 years of solid experience, not to mention a childhood learning from his dad and becoming a true football geek.

Mayo has been a positional coach for 5 years.

That's what we're talking about. A coach with 48 years of experience in the NFL who has seen and done everything has been run out of town and will be replaced with a coach with precisely 5 years of experience, never rising about a positional coach.

Think about it. When Bill came here, he had cut his teeth with a whole range of jobs, starting at the very bottom as an assistant at the Baltimore Colts in 1975, working his way up the tree at the Lions, Broncos, working with incredibly experienced, great coaches along the way and becoming DC at the Giants working with legends of the game, then HC at the Browns and put together a stellar coaching line up and after a few other roles gets to us as HC. He arrived here with 25 years of solid experience, not to mention a childhood learning from his dad and becoming a true football geek.

That's what we're talking about. A coach with 48 years of experience in the NFL who has seen and done everything has been run out of town and will be replaced with a coach with precisely 5 years of experience, never rising about a positional coach.
Someone will type back 'BUT HE PLAYED~'

He played for 6+ years, and as a top-10 pick was a borderline bust, best known for making tackles 4 yards downfield - and got replaced by a 3rd rounder (in 2014) in Jamie Collins - and they won a Super Bowl that year - I'm sure that's all coincidence too.

So, no, he was an ok pick at 10, had a rather unremarkable career outside of his rookie year, and has been a positional coach for 5 years. Not a coordinator. I know why Kraft is enamored with him, he probably said some nice things to him once - as for the media and fanbase, I have no idea. Maybe he'll be great. I hope he will. But there's nothing in any part of his resume that screams to me that he's the perfect choice.

What’s the difference between him
and Steve Belichick? I guess he played in the NFL, but coaching wise what’s the difference?

I wanted BB to get canned, but not for mayo or someone else who coached under him to take over. Vrable seems like BB light as well. If Bill is gone the organization needs a clean break.

What’s the difference between him
and Steve Belichick? I guess he played in the NFL, but coaching wise what’s the difference?

I wanted BB to get canned, but not for mayo or someone else who coached under him to take over. Vrable seems like BB light as well. If Bill is gone the organization needs a clean break.
The difference is Steve Belichick has coached longer, and at different position groups, not to mention he was quality control before that, so he had a hand in all coaching operations.

Also, he'll be the new Defensive Coordinator of the Atlanta Falcons.

Be careful what you wish for, I guess. :coffee:

Hmmm, Belichick never played. Mayo is 2x PB, 1x AP, 2008 DROY, SB winning team captain. I trust he knows a little about football. He also learned about management in the outside business world. He's an intelligent man that probably absorbed in 5 yrs w/ Bill what it would take others 10 years to learn. He was Asst. to HC not just a positional coach and by all accounts the one that ran the coordinating role of the DC dual role w/ SB.

He's also smart enough to sign the below contract last off-season w/ Kraft. Lol

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1745588132043542889?s=19

Hmmm, Belichick never played. Mayo is 2x PB, 1x AP, 2008 DROY, SB winning team captain. I trust he knows a little about football. He also learned about management in the outside business world. He's an intelligent man that probably absorbed in 5 yrs w/ Bill what it would take others 10 years to learn. He was Asst. to HC not just a positional coach and by all accounts the one that ran the coordinating role of the DC dual role w/ SB.

He's also smart enough to sign the below contract last off-season w/ Kraft. Lol

View: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1745588132043542889?s=19

lfuckingmao - he was benched because Jamie Collins took his job, and then blew out his patella in backup duty. But sure, he was a key cog on that 2014 team. :coffee:

lfuckingmao - he was benched because Jamie Collins took his job, and then blew out his patella in backup duty. But sure, he was a key cog on that 2014 team. :coffee:
Mayo's last 3 years he had bad injuries, a torn pec, and I think he blew out a knee. His body didn't hold up for a long career but he was really good for a stretch.

Mayo's last 3 years he had bad injuries, a torn pec, and I think he blew out a knee. His body didn't hold up for a long career but he was really good for a stretch.
His rookie year was incredible. He was pretty JAGgy for the next 3 years, which is why Belichick drafted Jamie Collins in the first place.

I think this is going to be a big mistake…I have nothing against him. I don’t know much about him. I just have a feeling that this isn’t going to go over well.

If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to admit it. But, this screams out Coach Clap in Dallas.

Not sure why so many people here want a clean break from the Patriot Way. It worked for a span of over 20 years. We were so spoiled to have a coach like BB. He may have lost a step, but his approach to team building is a model that other teams have tried to duplicate. If a young version of him like Vrabel or Mayo can pull it off, I’m all for keeping that blueprint. There are no shortcuts and quick fixes.

I think this is going to be a big mistake…I have nothing against him. I don’t know much about him. I just have a feeling that this isn’t going to go over well.

If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy to admit it. But, this screams out Coach Clap in Dallas.
Maybe he'll be an incredible coach - I truly hope he is.
How this came about though...is pretty icky, to be honest. Also 2023 was already the lame duck year for Belichick.

Yes, injuries slowed him down. Shit happens. Doesn't take away any of his accomplishments. Players love him.

His rookie year was incredible. He was pretty JAGgy for the next 3 years, which is why Belichick drafted Jamie Collins in the first place.
Yeah sorry I'm just not buying this.

I like Mayo, I'm not sure he's the best choice. I'd prefer the kraft's interview a few outside candidates at the very least. I'm worried about Robert's age and ability to make decisions, he's old as fuck and slurs like the town drunk. I hope Jonathan has input on the changes coming up. I have other questions too... Who the hell is the GM? Are Bill's sons sticking around? BOB? Who else leaves?

I'm not going to be mad if it's Mayo, just there's a lot of other organizational questions and I think it's weird if they just plug him in there right away. I think I prefer Vrabel right now, at least over Mayo, but i'd prefer some due diligence here.

I am meh on Mayo, I prefer a coach that has experience

don't like the optics on this wrt to looking like convenient leaks to a media person close to mayo,etc. i think that of this is what happened,i'm really skeptical on mayo being the right move. i don't want a regime of media leaks.
if that is not true,i have nothing against mayo...someday. but i'm not keen on promoting a coach with so little coaching experience to hc. especially when the gm hire is coming afterwards. and now i think the gm hire coming afterwards is a sign it IS mayo and the gm is an internal hire. because most gms i would think want their own hc as far as knowing they can work together.

Back