Mayo

Wow good stuff guys, thanks.
I think most of us realized that he was a big time leader on the team, but I didn't to that extent.

It was more than I realized as well.

I think that Jerod knew that you can't be a leader if you can't play and nobody was more aware of his limitations than he was. I believe pride was part of it and he knew that there were guys like High and Collins that were capable of taking the reins and he wasn't going to be a guy that was just hanging on and cashing a check no matter how good he was off the field.

I don't know the extent of his injuries, but when he was a rookie he just flowed to either sideline and made plays. This past season he had a lot of problems moving laterally and I don't think he figured it was ever coming back.

I think it speaks to his character that he walked away now. I'm happy he did it because I didn't like watching him struggle. The only time he looked good was blitzing straight ahead. He could still do that, but it wasn't enough.

Bill never signs a former player to coach unless that player gets some experience elsewhere for a few years. I can't think of an exception to that M.O. I'm hoping that he can make that exception for Mayo who would seem like a really strong candidate to be an excellent coach, assuming he wants to stick around.

There is a belief in certain NFL circles that guys cannot effectively coach guys that they played with, but I can't really see why anyone on this team would have a problem taking direction from Mayo. They already did to an extent. He's a natural.

Good post, Hawgie. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would blow through all his money on dumb crap either so I bet he's ok financially.

Since he was hurt for the bulk of the last 3 years, and this is a young defense, I think he would be OK coaching on the team as well. If he wants to. I try not to fall into that with guys I respect, that "OMGZ HIRE HIM AS A COACH!!!11!!!1!!" trap...but I think he'd actually be good.

It was more than I realized as well.

I think that Jerod knew that you can't be a leader if you can't play and nobody was more aware of his limitations than he was. I believe pride was part of it and he knew that there were guys like High and Collins that were capable of taking the reins and he wasn't going to be a guy that was just hanging on and cashing a check no matter how good he was off the field.

I don't know the extent of his injuries, but when he was a rookie he just flowed to either sideline and made plays. This past season he had a lot of problems moving laterally and I don't think he figured it was ever coming back.

I think it speaks to his character that he walked away now. I'm happy he did it because I didn't like watching him struggle. The only time he looked good was blitzing straight ahead. He could still do that, but it wasn't enough.

Bill never signs a former player to coach unless that player gets some experience elsewhere for a few years. I can't think of an exception to that M.O. I'm hoping that he can make that exception for Mayo who would seem like a really strong candidate to be an excellent coach, assuming he wants to stick around.

There is a belief in certain NFL circles that guys cannot effectively coach guys that they played with, but I can't really see why anyone on this team would have a problem taking direction from Mayo. They already did to an extent. He's a natural.

I think you can make an argument that he had that experience in '13 and '14 when he went on IR.

I think you can make an argument that he had that experience in '13 and '14 when he went on IR.

Sure, we can make that argument, but I always found it a bit strange that BB, for all the praise he has heaped on his many top team leaders over the years, and Mayo is certainly one of them, just hasn't found a single one of them appealing enough to offer them a job learning the ropes of coaching. Only returnees who have broken in elsewhere. Never direct from the field to the sidelines.

In any case, Al Breer says that Mayo isn't interested in coaching, so I just wasted a few minutes discussing the topic.

Chances are that it wasn't going to happen anyway.

Sure, we can make that argument, but I always found it a bit strange that BB, for all the praise he has heaped on his many top team leaders over the years, and Mayo is certainly one of them, just hasn't found a single one of them appealing enough to offer them a job learning the ropes of coaching. Only returnees who have broken in elsewhere. Never direct from the field to the sidelines.

In any case, Al Breer says that Mayo isn't interested in coaching, so I just wasted a few minutes discussing the topic.

BB wants coaches who are hungry and passionate to coach, he wants former players to prove they have that hunger and passion first... and are not just looking for a way to stay in football.

Yeah, BB looks at things from his prism. He worked his way up from a position where he was literally making coffee and collecting guys from the airport for next to no pay. That's the coaches he wants, smart, extremely hard working who love the game.

BB wants coaches who are hungry and passionate to coach, he wants former players to prove they have that hunger and passion first... and are not just looking for a way to stay in football.

And it's reasonable to suggest that a lot of players, who make big bank and are used to that life wouldn't necessarily adjust well to the life of a coach with much longer hours and way less pay.

I choose to believe that many ex-players would be glad to coach and be able to stay around the game because that is what they love and there are tons of them sprinkled throughout NFL coaching staffs and many of them are highly regarded.

I find it a bit odd that there aren't any exceptions during the BB years here. Mike Vrabel is a prime example of a guy that BB praised continually for his preparation and leadership here and is now considered on the fast track to getting a Defensive Coordinator's job. I'm pretty sure he isn't the only guy that has passed through Foxboro during the last 15 years that is both willing and able to fill that role.

Anyhow, BB can do whatever he wants whether we understand exactly why or not and I'm simply pointing out a tendency. Sometimes if you CAN do something then you can actually teach it, too.

Pepper Johnson

Johnson began his coaching career as an assistant linebackers coach with the Patriots during the 2000 season​

But as you say, it's moot now.

It's a funny one. But in many sports, the best coaches are typically ones who didn't play professionally. Why that is I don't know, it's clearly a different mindset.

The great coaches like Lombardi, BB, Walsh, Brown, Stram etc none of them were pro players. They pretty much were terrible players and stopped playing after HC. Maybe it's because they get a head start going directly into coaching while in their early 20's I don't know. But there are clear differences between a player and a coach's attitude and drive. It's why so many ex players fail as coaches when people think they'd be great as they played the game and know what it takes etc.

It's the same in all sports, soccer and rugby are no different. The best coaches in rugby all seem to be ex teachers. I once read a piece that discussed great coaches and the article said the best coaches are all dictators. There is no delegating decisions etc to players, it's the coaches way and that's it and you really have to have that mindset to succeed. Too many owners in the NFL for instance seem to think the coach has to be pals with the players and a loveable uncle type which is why too many of them seem to listen to players when they moan about the coach.

It's a funny one. But in many sports, the best coaches are typically ones who didn't play professionally. Why that is I don't know, it's clearly a different mindset.

The great coaches like Lombardi, BB, Walsh, Brown, Stram etc none of them were pro players. They pretty much were terrible players and stopped playing after HC. Maybe it's because they get a head start going directly into coaching while in their early 20's I don't know. But there are clear differences between a player and a coach's attitude and drive. It's why so many ex players fail as coaches when people think they'd be great as they played the game and know what it takes etc.

It's the same in all sports, soccer and rugby are no different. The best coaches in rugby all seem to be ex teachers. I once read a piece that discussed great coaches and the article said the best coaches are all dictators. There is no delegating decisions etc to players, it's the coaches way and that's it and you really have to have that mindset to succeed. Too many owners in the NFL for instance seem to think the coach has to be pals with the players and a loveable uncle type which is why too many of them seem to listen to players when they moan about the coach.

I'll argue that most decent baseball managers are former players and most of them were catchers.

I'll argue that most decent baseball managers are former players and most of them were catchers.

i think baseball is different a manager and a coach are 2 different things. baseball is not really a team sport its a collection of individuals that need to be "managed" as opposed to coached...

I would think that the ability of a former player to be a coach is inversely proportional to how skilled they were as a player.

The higher their skill level, the more they could rely on that skill and less on work and preparation.

On the other hand, a less skilled player has to work a lot harder to play at an elite level and that is more readily translated into coaching.

i think baseball is different a manager and a coach are 2 different things. baseball is not really a team sport its a collection of individuals that need to be "managed" as opposed to coached...

I'm confused. Belichick is the coach of the New England Patriots. There are several positional coaches that work under him. Belichick isn't required to call plays or set up defensive schemes. That is the role of the offensive and defensive coordinators.

John Farrell is the manager of the Boston Red Sox. There are several coaches that work under him. Farrell isn't required to work with pitchers on their delivery or batters on their stances. That is the role of the pitching and batting coaches.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, I just think that your original analogy of former players not making good coaches in any sport is not accurate.

The list of former NFL players that have won Super Bowls as coaches is pretty impressive: Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Mike Ditka, Sean Payton, Tom Flores, Bill Cowher, Weeb Ewbank, Tony Dungy and Gary Kubiak.

I'm confused. Belichick is the coach of the New England Patriots. There are several positional coaches that work under him. Belichick isn't required to call plays or set up defensive schemes. That is the role of the offensive and defensive coordinators.

John Farrell is the manager of the Boston Red Sox. There are several coaches that work under him. Farrell isn't required to work with pitchers on their delivery or batters on their stances. That is the role of the pitching and batting coaches.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, I just think that your original analogy of former players not making good coaches in any sport is not accurate.

The list of former NFL players that have won Super Bowls as coaches is pretty impressive: Chuck Noll, Tom Landry, Don Shula, Mike Ditka, Sean Payton, Tom Flores, Bill Cowher, Weeb Ewbank, Tony Dungy and Gary Kubiak.

wasn't my analogy :coffee:

Great words from Bruschi on Mayo. Shows the right bonds the players have in NE.

With Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo retiring from the NFL last week, I wanted to reach out to his former teammate and current ESPN analyst Tedy Bruschi to share his thoughts on Mayo. This is what Bruschi said: “When a player retires from an organization that he’s been with for a long time, he’ll look at who’s going to be taking over for him -- no matter the position -- and if that level of play will be able to be maintained. Well, before I even decided to retire [in the 2009 preseason], with Jerod Mayo already there, I knew the linebacker position would be well-manned. That was his rookie year. I could already tell his professionalism he had and one day he would be a captain on that team. Since then, I’ve watched every snap of his career, and it’s been a joy for me. He’s a guy I felt connected with. I felt every injury he had, and the two comebacks from major injuries, I felt that too. There are certain feelings you know they’re going through. I’m so proud he had so much success.”

My point was the best coaches, that is all time greats, were not ex pro players. Unless you're trying to tell me Don Shula is an all time great :coffee:

Tom Landry is a notable exception.

Great words from Bruschi on Mayo. Shows the right bonds the players have in NE.

If Tedy felt that about Mayo, imagine how Mayo must feel with Hightower and Collins filling his place.

Back