Merged - Patriots Final Cut Downs, 9/3/16

I think some of us are not quite as over the moon about Bennett as when we signed him.

He seems to have come up small in the pre. Hopefully when in the mix with the big guns he will morph into the match-up nightmare we expected.

Go Marcellus.

Cheers

And I think some of us get way, way too caught up in what we see in preseason. It happens every year.

And I think some of us get way, way too caught up in what we see in preseason. It happens every year.

I totally agree. And I am definitely mindful of that and don't think I'm making a big deal of it. Just saying my response is measured and I'm pausing on judgement. I think that's reasonable as opposed to the chicken little response. My response is imo no chicken little.

Cheers, :toast:

Niners cut Devon Cajuste.

Lot of people here wanted the Pats to take a flier on him.

So is he not good or do the Niners not know what they are doing?

Niners cut Devon Cajuste.

Lot of people here wanted the Pats to take a flier on him.

So is he not good or do the Niners not know what they are doing?
Well, he's big (234#) and slow, so not sure what he can provide that AJ Derby cannot if Derby was split wide. If the Pats are going to claim a WR, I'd prefer a fast one.

STRENGTHS Tall with a muscular frame. Play strength is above average and will fight for positioning. Reliable pass catcher with powerful hands. Able to post up and win the contested catch. Has traits to transition to H-back. Clean footwork and movements in his routes with a decent double move. Has some deceptive quickness out of stemming routes. Will work middle of the field without fear. Handles his responsibilities as a blocker. Good red zone target due to size and toughness.

WEAKNESSES Below average athlete for the position. Missing burst off the line and lacks second gear to generate push upfield to threaten cornerbacks. Cornerbacks will sit on his routes. Separation against NFL cornerbacks will be a struggle. Not a threat after the catch. Might not offer much special teams value.

Well, he's big (234#) and slow, so not sure what he can provide that AJ Derby cannot if Derby was split wide. If the Pats are going to claim a WR, I'd prefer a fast one.

STRENGTHS Tall with a muscular frame. Play strength is above average and will fight for positioning. Reliable pass catcher with powerful hands. Able to post up and win the contested catch. Has traits to transition to H-back. Clean footwork and movements in his routes with a decent double move. Has some deceptive quickness out of stemming routes. Will work middle of the field without fear. Handles his responsibilities as a blocker. Good red zone target due to size and toughness.

WEAKNESSES Below average athlete for the position. Missing burst off the line and lacks second gear to generate push upfield to threaten cornerbacks. Cornerbacks will sit on his routes. Separation against NFL cornerbacks will be a struggle. Not a threat after the catch. Might not offer much special teams value.

iirc by far the beste 3 cone time at the Combine. Not bad for a tall guy.
But if he cant stick with the 49ers who gave up quite some for bad Wrs the last couple of days, it seems he isnt the next big thing.

I think some of us are not quite as over the moon about Bennett as when we signed him.

He seems to have come up small in the pre. Hopefully when in the mix with the big guns he will morph into the match-up nightmare we expected.

Go Marcellus.

Cheers

Yes that's true and I'm also not sure what to expect from Gronk either. We loved the thought of him but BB didn't play him a single snap. I guess he's a bust, too. IBIT.

:coffee:

Grab that fvcking guy!!!!

Cajuste is too big/slow to be a legit WR and he's a little too small to be a legit move H-back. He's not Kelvin Benjamin and he's not Aaron Hernandez.
He has some skill but YAC isn't one of them since he goes down so easily.
If BB grabs him it will be to coach him up for a good 2 years before he becomes a decent player.

Tyler Gaffney and Darryl Roberts were both waived with an injury designation. They'll head to IR tomorrow if/when unclaimed.

Fingers crossed.

From Rich Hill

These are the upsets from yesterday’s roster cuts

LB Elandon Roberts over LB Kamu Grugier-Hill. KGH appeared on more roster predictions than any other player that didn’t make the squad. The Patriots love what Roberts brings to the table on defense, due to his instincts and heart, and there are only so many pure special teams players the team can hold.
WR Danny Amendola over WR Keshawn Martin. The Patriots didn’t have to keep just four wide receivers, but the expectation was for Amendola to go on the Physically Unable to Perform list. If Amendola were healthy this offseason, I wonder if this would be considered as much of an upset.
CB Jonathan Jones over CB Cre’Von LeBlanc. LeBlanc injured his hip prior to the final preseason game, and I should also note that Darryl Roberts was waived/injured and could revert to the Patriots injured reserve if he clears waivers. Jones is the superior special teams option, and that might have been the deciding factor.
TE Clay Harbor over ED Geneo Grissom. Hear me out: Harbor and Grissom are both special teams players due to the depth chart. Harbor is better on offense than Grissom is on defense. That is why this decision was made.
No other player was on 50% of the roster projections (Aaron Dobson was a hair below the threshold). Every bubble move has a reason.

2. The Patriots have decided to retain four tight ends and a fullback: Rob Gronkowski, Martellus Bennett, AJ Derby, Clay Harbor, and James Develin. That’s a lot of beef and I wonder if the aim is to help the run game and reduce the pressure on QB Jimmy Garoppolo.
We’ve covered the Patriots 4-tight end goal line package that was featured last season- and one that disappeared once the team sent Michael Hoomanawanui to the Saints for Akiem Hicks. The play was extremely productive and I’m sure that Bill Belichick appreciates the flexibility it guarantees the offense.
3. The Patriots are going without a back-up for LeGarrette Blount. Again. This year’s depth chart at running back is basically the same, with D.J. Foster taking Dion Lewis’ place. This decision bit the Patriots when Blount went down with an injury because there was no one available to run between the tackles.
Can Foster show that he’s a stronger runner than James White is? Brandon Bolden actually looked pretty good in the preseason, prior to an ugly fumble- perhaps he’s an option. I would expect the Patriots to stash a running back on the practice squad this year, just in case.
4. The Patriots currently have just four true wide receivers on the roster in Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Chris Hogan, and Malcolm Mitchell (Matthew Slater doesn’t count) and three of those players are dealing with injuries. While the Patriots can compensate in the short term with the tight ends and their ability to flex out to the sideline, I would expect the Patriots to add another wide receiver to the mix.
Luckily, the team is holding an extra offensive lineman on the roster in Ted Karras. Karras will likely be released to the practice squad once Jonathan Cooper (foot) and Shaq Mason (hand) are ready to go in the next week or two. This makes it easy enough for the Patriots to add a wide receiver without having to cut from a necessary position.
5. I’m a little surprised by Elandon Roberts making the team over Kamu Grugier-Hill, but I totally get the reasoning. Jonathan Freeny just signed an extension to be the Patriots’s special teams linebacker and, well, that’s the whole story. The Patriots have Slater, Freeny, Nate Ebner, Brandon King, and a good percentage of Brandon Bolden as pure special teams players, while fringe players Jonathan Jones, Barkevious Mingo, James Develin, and Clay Harbor will all be core special teams players.
KGH just didn’t have enough of a role on defense to justify keeping him around for his special teams ability, while Roberts showed that he has the capability and a bright future as a linebacker. That said, Roberts could be a fairly easy release in the next couple of weeks if the Patriots want to sign a player off the street.
http://www.patspulpit.com/2016/9/4/...r-rb-wr-te-lb-analysis-amendola-harbor-karras

KG-H is the only 1 I still don't understand fully.
JJones played well all preseason.

I don't get the Martin love...JAG.

---------- Post added at 11:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Why isn't Harper gone? Another JAG...

The fanbase seems to adopt a guy and think he walks on water. Martin never was much more than an undersized jag, and was /is injured. Others they love to hate.

Tyler Gaffney and Darryl Roberts were both waived with an injury designation. They'll head to IR tomorrow if/when unclaimed.

Fingers crossed.

Wasn't Gaffney claimed by the Pats while headed to I/R or did Carolina fail to use the designation?

LeBlanc to the Bears.

Joint practices give and taketh away

The fanbase seems to adopt a guy and think he walks on water. ... Others they love to hate.
Harsh. Perhaps not everyone has the exact same opinions. Nothing wrong with everyone liking different players or have different preferences. It's not that they're stupid, it's all just our own personal opinions and preferences.

And if we once fell in love with Cedric Cobb or wondered why the hell BB wasted a high draft pick on some interior lineman we never heard of, well, so effing what? Picking binkies is part of the fun of the off-season.

KG-H to Philly, DRoberts to the Jets

LeBlanc to the Bears.

Joint practices give and taketh away

KG-H to Philly, DRoberts to the Jets

no-2.gif

Dammit. :frown:

Gaffney is on IR after being unclaimed

Keshawn Martin seems to have gone unclaimed, too.

That didn't take long. All good pick ups for those teams. Even the shit bag jets.

Once Bill figures out how to draft this team will be unstoppable!

@MarkDanielsPJ
P-squad update: Bishop Sankey, Rufus Johnson, Devin Lucien, Geneo Grissom, Chris Barker, Woodrow Hamilton, Devin Street and unknown No. 72

I'm happy they were able to keep Lucien at least. Still bummed about KGH and LeBlanc.

Back