MERGED - Schefter: Mankins reports tomorrow

I think BB will be sending a Bad message to the team. If he starts him in next week game. Mankins did not want to play this season. The only reason he reporting is he needs to play in 6 games.

I don't want him starting. The line has been quite good most of the year, and Mankins acted like a huge bitch throughout this whole thing. He can get some snaps when guys need a rest, but he doesn't deserve any kind of real playing time.

An away game against the browns is a game where Mankins could play in the 4th quarter when the game is in hand (assuming it will be).

Obviously he's not going to start.

just a thought.........did mankins learn something from the moss situation.....he does not have to report now to get his earned year......very unusual timing:shrug:

just a thought.........did mankins learn something from the moss situation.....he does not have to report now to get his earned year......very unusual timing:shrug:
He's reporting now so that he can fake an injury and get back to the ranch before holiday season.

I wonder what BB's move is going to be? Could Mankins possibly be a negative impact on the teams morale? Could the addition of Mankins which arguably could improve the line vastly, be a negative addition to the locker room and the younger guys?

That is why I think BB should make Mankins earn reps in games. He already proved to be a selfish Baby by sitting out. He should not get everything handed to him.

I wonder what BB's move is going to be? Could Mankins possibly be a negative impact on the teams morale? Could the addition of Mankins which arguably could improve the line vastly, be a negative addition to the locker room and the younger guys?

Sorry to come late to this thread. I've been in surgery.

I think that BB has established a very clear line this year as far as what is expected of players on the team. Underperformers get benched, no matter how high their draft status (Butler) or previous pro bowl honors (Meriweather). Or they get cut (Burgess). Players who won't get with the program and put the team first aren't tolerated. Everyone is playing on the same page right now, from Brady down to guys like Danny Woodhead, Sergio Brown, Kyle Arrington, Rob Ninkovich and Brandon Deaderick. It's a great example of what can be accomplished when 53 guys are aligned in their purpose and understand what is expected of them.

With that in mind, I think that there are 2 ways to play it with Mankins:

1. Keep him as insurance. The OL has performed well overall, with the exception of the San Diego game. Sit him on the bench, keep him inactive, send him a message that he can't hold out and diss the organization and expect to come back and be a cornerstone again. Have him available for 9 games in case of insurance.

2. Play him. Extend an olive branch and make it clear that Mankins is welcome back - whether for 9 games or for the long term - as long as he is willing to get with the program and put the team first, play hard, and not be a distraction. If they can work things out with him long term, fine. If he wants to get with the program and play hard for the rest of the season and then move on, fine.

Personally, I'm hoping for option #2. The team could use Mankins. It would give us a lot of flexibility. A rotation of Mankins, Neal, Connolly and Koppen would keep the OL fresh, add insurance in case of injury, and allow some positional scheming. I think that the team's identity is sufficiently strong right now that Mankins wouldn't be a distraction. Guys like Brady, Branch, Faulk (still a captain) and Crumpler are too strong in the locker room to let things get out of control. And it's just possible that Mankins may come to realize that the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

Maybe he spoke with Randy this week :D

Or maybe he realized that getting what you ask for may be the worst thing in the long run. Moss sulked his way off the team and look where it got him. Mankins tried to sulk his way off and failed. Maybe he's reconsidering whether it was a good play in the first place.

Sorry to come late to this thread. I've been in surgery.

I think that BB has established a very clear line this year as far as what is expected of players on the team. Underperformers get benched, no matter how high their draft status (Butler) or previous pro bowl honors (Meriweather). Or they get cut (Burgess). Players who won't get with the program and put the team first aren't tolerated. Everyone is playing on the same page right now, from Brady down to guys like Danny Woodhead, Sergio Brown, Kyle Arrington, Rob Ninkovich and Brandon Deaderick. It's a great example of what can be accomplished when 53 guys are aligned in their purpose and understand what is expected of them.

With that in mind, I think that there are 2 ways to play it with Mankins:

1. Keep him as insurance. The OL has performed well overall, with the exception of the San Diego game. Sit him on the bench, keep him inactive, send him a message that he can't hold out and diss the organization and expect to come back and be a cornerstone again. Have him available for 9 games in case of insurance.

2. Play him. Extend an olive branch and make it clear that Mankins is welcome back - whether for 9 games or for the long term - as long as he is willing to get with the program and put the team first, play hard, and not be a distraction. If they can work things out with him long term, fine. If he wants to get with the program and play hard for the rest of the season and then move on, fine.

Personally, I'm hoping for option #2. The team could use Mankins. It would give us a lot of flexibility. A rotation of Mankins, Neal, Connolly and Koppen would keep the OL fresh, add insurance in case of injury, and allow some positional scheming. I think that the team's identity is sufficiently strong right now that Mankins wouldn't be a distraction. Guys like Brady, Branch, Faulk (still a captain) and Crumpler are too strong in the locker room to let things get out of control. And it's just possible that Mankins may come to realize that the grass isn't greener elsewhere.

I would think option #2, but one thing we can be sure of is that BB will make the right decision.... And I'm not sure if your a surgeon or not. If not, I hope everything went ok and all is well and your health is good. If you are a surgeon, why do you guys charge so much?:shrug:....:p

And I'm not sure if your a surgeon or not. If not, I hope everything went ok and all is well and your health is good. If you are a surgeon, why do you guys charge so much?:shrug:....:p

Anesthesiologist. I prefer my patients asleep. :zzz:

I agree with sitting him... if he's "learned his lesson" let him sign a reasonable long term deal, then he can try to earn the starting job back next year.

Ok...I'm in the minority, but any pressure this year has come from the left side of the line, and the pats do not really run that way a lot either. I am all for teaching a lesson, but this team is 6-1 and we have a chance here, maybe its not time to make a point. I think he is a better player than connoly and should start....sorry.

Back