MERGED - Schefter: Mankins reports tomorrow

Ok...I'm in the minority, but any pressure this year has come from the left side of the line, and the pats do not really run that way a lot either. I am all for teaching a lesson, but this team is 6-1 and we have a chance here, maybe its not time to make a point. I think he is a better player than connoly and should start....sorry.

bolded the relevant part: how many of those wins did mankins help with again?

That would be none. Got along alright before we had ya, gonna get along without you now .

I think Mankins is reporting because if he doesn't report until week 10, he may not get to play at all, and if we win the superbowl without him it'll weaken his chances for a good contract.

It's just a smart business decision. Not as smart as not getting into this situation, but the best damage control he could do given where he is and where the Pats are.

Personally, I hope they do not spend over $5 mil per year for an OG.

Ok...I'm in the minority, but any pressure this year has come from the left side of the line, and the pats do not really run that way a lot either. I am all for teaching a lesson, but this team is 6-1 and we have a chance here, maybe its not time to make a point. I think he is a better player than connoly and should start....sorry.

I can't see coach benching him to be spiteful. If he's in game shape and practices better than the other guys I can totally see him starting outright (eventually) and/or rotating in and out. My guess is that he won't be fully ready to go for a few weeks though. I kind of doubt he is going to be much of a locker room disruption (but I guess you never know).

That is a shocking logic, but apparently we should just be content with how the team is right now. When he is better than Connolly(who if you recall, got benched 2 weeks ago) he should play.
I'm sure making him sit the rest of the year will also help the already slim chance of re-signing him aswell

I understand, but we didnt win the superbowl, if you have a chance to make the team better you do it. I'm sorry, but if he is better than whats there which I think he is, you play him. We are in the hunt, this is not the time to be playing politics. Its a business, and players understand this, no player thinks less of Mankins because they have been through it.

Or maybe he realized that getting what you ask for may be the worst thing in the long run. Moss sulked his way off the team and look where it got him. Mankins tried to sulk his way off and failed. Maybe he's reconsidering whether it was a good play in the first place.

This is my theory after nobody else signing him lo (pun intended) these many weeks and the whole shenanigans with RFM now. That is my theory. My theory. Which is mine. Except that you mentioned it first...but so what? :p
Posted via Mobile Device

This is my theory after nobody else signing him lo (pun intended) these many weeks and the whole shenanigans with RFM now. That is my theory. My theory. Which is mine. Except that you mentioned it first...but so what? :p

And I give you full credit for it. :kisss:

All a moot point. He'll probably pull a bad hamstring on his first day back, trying to run and do too much. Then it's the IR!

As possible a scenario as any

Mankins to report today.

Globe reports he will sign tender offer and report.
Not a huge surprise, I guess.

I guess it does need a different thread now that it is 'today' rather than tomorrow :p

I agree with Anni, Midgar and Mayo's option #2.

They are paying the guy a tender offer that will pay him over 3M (if I heard correctly) and they aren't doing that so that Mankins can pull his Favre and sit on his wallet the rest of the year.

The only reason this team would pay him approximately the same as Moss has coming to him from Minny (interesting coincidence) is that they think he has real value as a player and therefore will play.

It's a long season. We are contenders and need as many top players as possible. In my opinion, all the bad blood between he and the team was negotiation leverage and is inconsequential.

We just got a pro bowl guard back and everybody wants to punish him to "send a message". Let's hope that this team isn't dumb enough to spend that kind of coin to send pointless messages.

I say play the guy, assuming he can eventually beat out Connelly (he can), let Connelly be the swing guy to keep the line fresh and let next year take care of itself.

Maybe they decided that Shaun Rogers needs his nuts punched in this weekend. Welcome back, Logan.

That is a shocking logic, but apparently we should just be content with how the team is right now. When he is better than Connolly(who if you recall, got benched 2 weeks ago) he should play.
I'm sure making him sit the rest of the year will also help the already slim chance of re-signing him aswell

But what did Scott use to say? Something like, We are building a team, not just solely collecting talent? Most of all the offensive line is more than the sum of it's parts. There is no denying that Mankins is more talented than Connolly, but as well as the OL is playing right now I just don't know if the change is worth it.

Sure Connolly had a bad game a couple of weeks ago, it happens. LoMo has had gad games to.

SSDD

I'm sure coach will play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Lately I've been very impressed with Connolly as a pull blocker, I never thought much of Mankins as a pull blocker, if we are going to continue with the traps and counters (I hope), it wouldn't surprise me to see Connolly stay in as the guy, with Mankins as reserve depth. If we go with more ZBS, I could see Mankins getting past Connolly after a few weeks of conditioning and getting back into game shape. Either way, I can't help but feel like if he's a problem in the locker room, they'll cut his ass, and if he's there to work hard, they'll do what's best for the team on game day.

Make him work his way back into the lineup like BB would with anybody else. Don't let him near the field this week vs. the Browns, but if he shows that he is willing to do what is right and walk the line for the next 2 weeks, then he gets a chance to get back out there.

I will never think of him the same, and if he gets injured I would :shrug: , but what does that matter.

Mankins is reporting 2 weeks earlier than actually necessary reportedly to get back into game condition and to learn the new line play.

The players understand the business side of it and will welcome him back with open arms. There won't be any grudges not even by Connolly who has benefited greatly by Mankins' absence. Connolly's stock has already risen and he is secure in his new status; at this point Connolly may even look forward to a little rest.

If Mankins becomes the 'good soldier' then he will earn his way into a role with the team. BB has often said he coaches the players who are here. If Mankins is 'here' and practices well and earns a role, BB is too smart to let the opportunity pass to play a pro-bowl OG. Messages can be sent in other ways. Mankins won't get any special treatment. BB will be very direct with him and lay expectations out for Mankins to clearly understand. "You're back, do your job, no bullshit."

Mankins may owe an apology to the Kraft family and I would expect an apology to come at some point in an informal manner during an interview. Nothing formal just routine goings on. This is the business side of the NFL.

Personally, I'm glad he's back. This team can benefit from his talent. If a long term agreement can be reached, so much the better. If not, then moving on is life in the NFL. Mankins can help for the rest of this year.

Breakdown of runs to left, middle, and right on the year, STAT!

I remember the key run to clinch the game by BJGE to the left all the way down to the Minnie 1.

I agree pressure has come from mostly Light's direction, but I think they've run rather effectively to the left.

I agree with Anni, Midgar and Mayo's option #2.

They are paying the guy a tender offer that will pay him over 3M (if I heard correctly) and they aren't doing that so that Mankins can pull his Favre and sit on his wallet the rest of the year.

The only reason this team would pay him approximately the same as Moss has coming to him from Minny (interesting coincidence) is that they think he has real value as a player and therefore will play.

It's a long season. We are contenders and need as many top players as possible. In my opinion, all the bad blood between he and the team was negotiation leverage and is inconsequential.

We just got a pro bowl guard back and everybody wants to punish him to "send a message". Let's hope that this team isn't dumb enough to spend that kind of coin to send pointless messages.

I say play the guy, assuming he can eventually beat out Connelly (he can), let Connelly be the swing guy to keep the line fresh and let next year take care of itself.

Maybe they decided that Shaun Rogers needs his nuts punched in this weekend. Welcome back, Logan.

My concern here is the message that'll be sent. Connelly has worked his tail off from Day One, and to these untrained eyes has performed very well. I'm not skilled in picking up line play, particularly off a broadcast, but I definitely notice Connelly as one of the better pulling, running, and blocking guys on the unit.

IF Mankins comes in, gets up to speed in a couple of weeks, and gets game reps when things are in hand and shows he's capable of coming in mid-season and performing better THEN he can be installed as the starter, but not until.

I'm sure coach will play the guy who gives us the best chance to win. Lately I've been very impressed with Connolly as a pull blocker, I never thought much of Mankins as a pull blocker, if we are going to continue with the traps and counters (I hope), it wouldn't surprise me to see Connolly stay in as the guy, with Mankins as reserve depth. If we go with more ZBS, I could see Mankins getting past Connolly after a few weeks of conditioning and getting back into game shape. Either way, I can't help but feel like if he's a problem in the locker room, they'll cut his ass, and if he's there to work hard, they'll do what's best for the team on game day.

That jumps out to me as well. He really seems to run well.

I can't pick up much of anything in a ZBS, but maybe Mankins is better there. But Connelly, to my eye, sure seems to get off the snap, get out and pull better than I ever recall Logan doing.:shrug:

Breakdown of runs to left, middle, and right on the year, STAT!

I remember the key run to clinch the game by BJGE to the left all the way down to the Minnie 1.

I agree pressure has come from mostly Light's direction, but I think they've run rather effectively to the left.

My concern here is the message that'll be sent. Connelly has worked his tail off from Day One, and to these untrained eyes has performed very well. I'm not skilled in picking up line play, particularly off a broadcast, but I definitely notice Connelly as one of the better pulling, running, and blocking guys on the unit.

IF Mankins comes in, gets up to speed in a couple of weeks, and gets game reps when things are in hand and shows he's capable of coming in mid-season and performing better THEN he can be installed as the starter, but not until.

That jumps out to me as well. He really seems to run well.

I can't pick up much of anything in a ZBS, but maybe Mankins is better there. But Connelly, to my eye, sure seems to get off the snap, get out and pull better than I ever recall Logan doing.:shrug:

It's really rather simple, isn't it. :coffee:

Back